Job description / Role
Mission/core purpose of the job
The Head of Legal plays an integral part within the senior management team and holds joint responsibility for creating the Corporate Legal Strategy of our team in Oman and developing action plans to deliver it. The role holder will be responsible for driving the legal affairs in alignment with local regulatory requirements, providing legal advisory services to internal departments and mitigating contractual and litigation risks related to operational activities within our team in Oman.
The Head of Legal will also oversee and develop the Legal and sites Acquisitions Teams whilst also working closely with the Group Legal Department to ensure they are engaged in achieving the strategic goals.
Strategic & Operational Delivery
• Developing and leading our Oman Legal strategy to promote and protect our Oman’s assets and drive our Oman strategy
• Provide Legal advice to the MD and cross-functional teams as per the regulatory requirements
• Analyse legal implications of the business transactions and advise the internal stakeholders accordingly
• Lead the drafting and review of agreements, contracts and others regulatory documents by the Legal Team
• Draft, negotiate and review commercial agreements for the supply of services and products in our team in Oman
• Draft and negotiate amendments to customer contracts with major Mobile Network Operators
• In collaboration with External Legal counsel, manage all litigation and contentious matter
• Represent Company in all court and related cases and ensuring that external solicitors attend court in time and file reports.
• Maintain records of all licenses of our team in Oman.
• Manage regulatory issues and initiatives and proactively advise the Executive team on potential regulatory changes or risks which have an impact on our team in Oman (e.g. Regulatory Laws, rules, regulations and guidelines)
• Build and maintain effective relationships with the relevant local authorities and Government bodies (Telecoms regulator, Building & Environmental agencies, Tax & Labour authorities) and assisting in improving key stakeholders relationships for the benefit of our team in Oman.
• Provide support in the drafting of general management policies to ensure all the legal requirements are captured
• Facilitating filing of regulatory and tax reports
Sites Acquisition Management
• Work with relevant institutions and stakeholders to identify possible new sites for acquisitions.
• Interface with land consultants and agents in facilitating site acquisitions.
• Working with and managing external solicitors to facilitate legal checks e.g. title searches.
• Advising management on emerging Regulatory or Compliance issues.
• Ensure drafting and review of landlords contracts
• Oversee the development and performance of direct reports against key performance indicators
• Cascade the Sustainability Key Performance Indicators of the Legal function to drive the departmental performance
• Contribute to the identification of high potential individuals, develop a legal succession plan and work with HR to put in place development actions.
• Act as Company Secretary for our operations in Oman
• Ensure adherence to Omani company law and regulatory requirements
• Ensure alignment with our Policies and to mitigate any risk
• Drive Ethics Management and champion Corporate Governance within both internal and external stakeholders.
• Work closely with Compliance to ensure ownership of our Code of conduct and conflict of interest policy
• A Degree in Law
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience practicing law, with at least 5 years in an in-house Legal function in a Senior Leadership position.
• Experience in dealing with complex legal affairs in challenging regulatory environments
• Strong understanding of Commercial Law and Omani regulatory requirements with experience overseeing the Legal department within a company with similar activities (i.e: Telecoms, Power, Oil & Gas etc)
• Experience in negotiating with contractors, landlords and suppliers
• Experience in managing a legal team is essential
• Experience of working in a Company with similar reporting and legal obligations/disclosures to us in Oman.
• Experience of working in Oman is preferred
• Resilient Legal Leader with the ability to lead by example & help to deliver our Oman vision
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of Corporate law and procedures
• Strong analytical thinker & attentive to detail with the ability to identify the legal risks, analyse them and take proactive defensive strategies
• Candidate must be able to demonstrate excellent technical skills gained in both private practice and in house environments, sound commercial acumen and a pragmatic approach to the law.
• Sound judgement paired with assertiveness where necessary
• Demonstrate high degree of professional ethics and integrity
• Ability to communicate clear goals and strategic drivers to the teams
About the Company
Globnet is a respected privately owned management consultancy that has been operating in Oman for several years and has built a strong network of contacts in the country at various levels in the public services sector.
|Abu Dhabi||7 Jun|
Legal Advisor & Board Secretary
A Leading Real Estate Company in UAE
Group Legal Affairs Manager