Job description / Role
Reporting to the Medical Director (Non Refractive Branch), the Paediatric Ophthalmologist performs clinical care, education and research in the field of Paediatric Ophthalmology and Surgery. The Ophthalmologist will be expected to perform at a high level to provide excellent care for patients and families and will be expected to demonstrate leadership for the other members of the team.
- Assess, examine and diagnose paediatric patients
- Manage ophthalmic conditions, including sound judgments re complex ophthalmic conditions, taking into account both medical and psychological aspects of patient care
- Carry out ophthalmic surgical procedures
- Show leadership and practice good management to members of the ophthalmology team
- Actively teach, train and develop ophthalmic fellows, junior doctors and other healthcare professionals
- Participate in and contribute to research when required
- Contribute to departmental and organisational strategy discussions
- Manage department resources, ensure best practice development and instill performance excellence
- Encourage team building and pursue effective cross departmental communication
- Liaise with relevant external parties, national and international institutions
- Ensure a high standard of service is continually provided to all patients, their families and staff as prescribed in the patient care and facility standards set down by the organisation.
Key role accountability:
- Identifies and articulates the vision, strategic direction, and growth of paediatric ophthalmology at the Center.
- Provides excellent patient clinical and surgical care
- Covers emergency and call duties as determined by the Medical Director and Operations Manager.
- Works collaboratively with other physicians and all other staff to ensure that cohesive, cross functional teams are maintained.
- Communicates effectively, consistently, and in a timely manner with colleagues and other staff members
- Keeps excellent and complete electronic health records for patients.
- Participates actively in departmental meetings and other agendas as and when required
- Performs departmental duties as per the instructions of the Medical Director (non-refractive)
- Instructs/trains optometrists and other medical providers in paediatric ophthalmology procedures and examination techniques.
- Masters Degree in Medicine with specialisation in paediatric ophthalmology from a recognised international institution and a sub specialisation in paediatric ophthalmology
- Minimum of 5 years experience in paediatric ophthalmology
- Preferably research experience and publication of various research papers in the past three years
- Fluent in written and spoken English required
- Fluent in written and spoken Arabic desirable
About the Company
Muscat Eye Laser Center is committed to providing professional diagnosis and treatment to our patient’s eye care needs, combining our world-renowned ophthalmologist’s expertise with the support of the very latest in technology. At MELC we empower our ophthalmologists and optometrists to deliver better care for our patients, by consistently upgrading our superior surgical and diagnostic tools to the highest safety standards. Muscat Eye Laser Center is the only specialized eye laser clinic in the Sultanate of Oman to earn the International Organization for Standardization – ISO9001:2008 quality management system certification.