Job description / Role
To provide professional vision and leadership for the school which secures its success and improvement, ensuring high quality education for all students and improved standards of learning and achievement. The professional duties of the Head Teacher are contained in the School Teacher’s Development and Conditions Document and the key areas of Headship are contained in the International Standards for Head Teachers.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Promote a secure foundation achieve high standards in all areas of the school’s work.
- Develop programs for enabling school students and families to meet academic goals.
- Hold clear values and goals to ensure providing world-class education for all year groups at the school.
- Maintain strong governance and actively support the governing board to understand its role and deliver its functions effectively; in particular, its functions to set school strategies, goals, development plans, expansions, projects and hold the Head Teacher to account for students, staff and financial performance.
- Maintain high quality education by efficient management of teaching and learning and using student-centred learning to realise the potential of all students.
- Maintain an optimistic and positive behaviour, positive relationships and attitudes towards students and staff, and towards parents, government officials and members of the local and international community.
- Promote a culture that maintains excellence, equality and high expectations of all students.
- provide vision, leadership and direction for the school academic team, students and parents and ensure that the school is managed and organised to meet its aims, targets, vision and mission.
- Ensure the top level of professional representation of the school mission, vision, values, accomplishments and goals in front of the students and staff, and towards parents, government officials and members of the local and international community.
- Lead integrity, creativity, resilience, and clarity, with adherence to the policies, regulations and instructions of the company, the school, the Omani Ministry of Education and the International Education Standards.
- Maintain wide knowledge and understanding of education and school systems locally, nationally and globally, and pursue continuous development of the school and the academic team.
- Work with strategic and financial astuteness, within a clear set of principles centered on the school’s vision, mission, and marketing and development plans.
- Inspire and influence others - within and beyond the school - to believe in the fundamental importance of education in young people’s lives and to promote the value of education and how the school vision and mission fit with these values.
- Implement ambitious standards for all students through enhancing and assuring a strong sense of accountability in staff for the impact of their work on students’ outcomes and yearly improvement plans.
- Ensure that the school’s systems, organisation, policies, procedures and processes are well structured, efficient and fit for purpose, keeping the principles of transparency, integrity and probity.
- Evaluate the school’s performance to identify the priorities for continuous improvement and raising standards; ensuring equality of opportunity for all and keeping the school growth, improvement and enhanced students’ performance as a main priority.
- Secure excellent level of education through an analytical understanding of how students learn and of the core methodologies of successful classroom practice and curriculum design, leading to rich curriculum opportunities and pupils’ outstanding results.
- Spot all emerging challenges, coach and aspire current leaders in a climate where excellence is the standard, leading to clear succession planning.
- Ensure Annual Yearly Progress meetings and execute programs to conform academic success.
- Establish policies as per School’s performance management, succession planning and staffing requirements.
- Review and update school policies and procedures every year and keep it updated as per the international child rights policies and the Omani Laws.
- Arrange expenditures and budget with School Finance to satisfy financial obligations.
- Encourage school in community and foster relationships within with the surrounding private and public schools.
- Attend different levels of meetings and represent the school in front of the Omani Government and public sector representatives.
- Create, manage and ensure an attractive, organized, functional, healthy and safe facilities giving attention to the different age groups and to the Omani and International cultures.
- Maintain a safe, calm and well-ordered environment for all students and staff, focused on safeguarding students and developing their exemplary behaviour in school and in the wider society.
- Establish strict, fair and transparent systems and measures for assessing the performance of all staff, addressing any under-performance, supporting staff to improve and valuing excellent practice.
- Work with other schools and organisations - in a climate of mutual challenge - to champion best practice and secure excellent achievements for all students.
- Ensure the procedures of health, safety, environment and welfare of students, parents and staff members within the school premises.
- Establish procedures and regular drills trainings for emergencies and disasters.
- Distribute leadership throughout the organisation, creating teams of colleagues who have specific roles and responsibilities and hold each other accountable for their decision making.
- Ensure that the resources are efficiently and effectively used to achieve the school’s aims and objectives and for the day-to-day management
- Lead school’s representation in the community and the educational associations on domestic and international levels to communicate the school’s well-being and accomplishments.
- Support school start-up activities like presentations, orientations, open days, social media advertisements, marketing campaigns, staff induction programs and all levels of preparations.
- Secures the commitment of the wider community to the school by developing and maintaining effective relations and partnerships with, for example, neighbouring schools, other services and agencies for children, higher education institutions, governmental authorities and employers.
- Liaise with the school Administration Department to ensure the proper communication and the upmost level of communication and satisfaction of parents.
- Liaise with the school Administration Department to create efficient marketing plans for the school and to enhance to proper communication with the community.
- Liaise with the school Administration Department to collect detailed information about the number of students and prepare a proper plan for the number of needed academic staff members.
- Liaise with the Human Resources Department to assure recruiting the needed number of staff, and avoid being overstaffed or short-staffed.
- Liaise with the Human Resources Department to assure Creating an environment where all staff are motivated and supported to develop their own skills and subject knowledge, and to support each other.
- Head the academic role of the recruitment committee, assess the new applicants and report to the Human Resources Department regarding the proper potential applicants.
- Liaise with the Human Resources department to prepare proper yearly CPD plans for the academic team.
- Assure the proper communication between all departments of the school.
- Arrange weekly, monthly, and termly meetings with the school SLT members, to assure the implementation of the year’s target and the school’s development plan.
- Review, assess, and update the school vision and mission as per the regulations and standards of the international schools and the Omani Ministry of Education.
- Liaise with the Head of Supervision and Activities to plan, prepare and organize trips, events, and different levels of activities within the school or domestic and international communities.
- Keep updated with the rules, policies, procedures, requirements and instructions of the Ministry of Education and the international curriculums followed by the school.
- Seek international and governmental accreditations for the school, and ensure preparations of the international standards required for accreditations.
- Oversee school activities to ensure educational goals and outcomes’ fulfilment.
- Support accreditation process with growth of new school.
- Offer consistent and compassionate customer service to students, parents and referral sources.
- Bachelors Degree In Education
- Masters in Education Leadership
- Five Years of experience as a teacher
- Five years of experience as a school principal
- Native English Speaker
- Experienced with international accreditation process
About the Company
Al Shomoukh International School (SIS) is a new KG to Grade 12 global school in Muscat. Established by Global Education Services (GES) the school opened for the 2015/16 school year in Al Hail.
A new school has been constructed and, combined with an international curriculum and excellent staff, the school intends to become one of the outstanding international schools in Muscat. It will draw students from both the local Omani and expatriate community. Both will be rewarded with an education experience of the highest order.
The school will be a beacon of international educational excellence for local and expatriate male and female students using English as the medium of instruction. Classes will be a maximum of 25 students.