Job description / Role
Accountant - Student Financial Services (locally-based candidates)
The Accountant provides a number of student financial services, including registration services, account and billing inquiries, cashier services, loan disbursements, refunds, account clearances, and payment plans. The person is the primary liaison between GU-Q, student body, parents, sponsors and Qatar Foundation Finance for questions and issues related to the aforementioned services. He/she is responsible for the overall process to collect information on financial aid applicants each year and to determine their eligibility for aid. This includes both correspondence with the applicants as well as managing the scholarship process.
As this position is based in Doha, Qatar and offers no relocation assistance, GU-Q is looking for locally-based candidates who have a valid Qatar residence permit.
- Serve as GU-Qatar main point of contact for students, parents, QF, Main Campus, Higher Education Institute, and other relevant sponsors;
- Liaise with Qatar Foundation (QF) Finance office to obtain billing information each semester, communicate payment information, update student records, etc.
- Assess the financial needs of students, and advise students and parents regarding financial aid options, processes, and requirements;
- Accept and maintain custody of all payments received and transfer the funds appropriately (e.g tuition to QF, etc.).
- Analyze financial data, family circumstances and apply knowledge of QF, federal and University regulations and policies to determine students’ eligibility for various types of aid;
- Prepare and recommend policies and procedures for financial aid and student account processes;
- Place financial holds on student’s accounts for students when required and implement Payment Plans for students wishing to settle balance over installments;
- Sign Exit Permits for students sponsored by Qatar Foundation prior to their travel;
- Update information on the website related to Student Finance;
- Communicate with Financial Aid Counsellor regarding financial aid awards and scholarships to update and maintain student accounts on Banner system;
- Execute contract billing process for Qatari students and other sponsors;
- Liaise with Main Campus Student Accounts for charges, refunds, credits, federal aid, TAP Benefits, 529k plan, and Study Abroad bills;
- Communicate with Academic Recorder on holds placed on student’s accounts;
- Provide support as required to the various areas of the department
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in accounting;
- Knowledge of accounting principles and concepts;
- 3+ years relevant work experience preferably in accounting and/or audit unit for a large multinational company;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office;
- Strong interpersonal skills, critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under time pressures;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Proficiency with the Banner Student Accounts module is a plus;
- CPA is desirable;
- Experience administering student financial aid programs for a college or university a plus.
About the Company
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) is located on the Education City campus in Doha, Qatar and offers a variety of lifelong learning opportunities for the community. The four-year Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service (BSFS) degree program is delivered by the world renowned Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service with a curriculum that is identical to that offered to students in Washington, D. C. Each year, GU-Q admits a class of approximately 75 students, primarily from the Middle East, South Asia and Southeast Asia. GU-Q is sponsored by Qatar Foundation and is one of six American universities located within Education City. All students have access to a superb range of recreational and housing facilities offered by Qatar Foundation and they take classes in classrooms equipped with state of the art technology. The campus currently boasts the presence of the largest public access library in Qatar. The compensation, benefits, terms of employment and professional development opportunities for GU-Q faculty and staff are highly competitive.