Job description / Role
The Division of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) continually strives to meet its mission of providing high quality professional development opportunities for physicians and other healthcare professionals based on identified needs and the latest scientific and medical developments that will increase competence, enhance performance in practice and lead to improved healthcare for patients. Reporting to the Director, Medical Education and CPD, the Assistant Director, Continuing Professional Development develops and directs the overall educational program in alignment with the division’s mission and strategic plan and is responsible for the successful achievement of certification for physicians in the region in collaboration with local and international bodies.
- Responsible for reviewing and evaluating ongoing programs.
- Manages daily operational activities, ensuring compliance with WCM-Q policies & procedures, accreditation (Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) & Qatar Council for Healthcare Practitioners (QCHP) criteria, standards & policies.
- Oversees development and maintenance of all necessary documentation, including policy and procedure manuals, to meet accreditation, funding, and other reporting requirements. Maintains accreditation and seeks commendation.
- Manages and leads needs assessments and gap analyses, applying principles of adult education to program design, and developing educational outcome measurement tools and processes.
- Collaborates with SMEs, fostering positive relationships with stakeholders, including staff & consultants, to advance long-term strategies of WCM-Q’s high-quality continuing education program in compliance with ACCME & QCHP standards & requirements.
- Develops and drives marketing strategy for CPD activities.
- Manages successful delivery of CME/CPD activities that include: establishing learning objectives, selecting appropriate content and interactive learning formats and incorporating desirable physician attributes.
- Manages successful delivery of CME/CPD activities that include: identifying and resolving potential conflicts of interest, and evaluating activities to foster changes in learner’s competence, performance and/or patient outcomes.
- Develops plan to conduct an overall CME/CPD program analysis which identifies, plans and implements the needed or desired changes in the overall program that are required to improve on the ability to meet the CPD mission.
- Publishes results of education research in peer-reviewed journals and presents at national and international conferences.
- Provides leadership in all phases of the development of continuing medical education and actively communicates with various committees to recommend related policies.
- Supports the preparation of the annual capital, operating and manning budget and is responsible for oversight of the financial operations of the division.
- Keeps abreast of current developments & best practices in continuing education program development & delivery &incorporates new developments in the fields of continuing education & professional development.
- Prepares written reports/presentations and effectively delivers to Committees and Boards detailed strategy, plans, and outcomes.
- Monitors and reports on performance milestones across new and existing initiatives.
- Recruits and oversees new-hire and personnel action procedures, conducts performance evaluations for non-academic staff and handles disciplinary issues; reviews and approves staff leave requests.
- Provides administrative leadership and oversight for non-academic staff and provides advice on workflow for efficient and effective service and in the application of HR and fiscal policies and procedures to ensure sound business practice.
- As and when needed, supports the Director of Medical Education and CPD in Medical Education related issues.
- Medical degree (MBBS or MD) or Phd in Health Education.
- Approximately 6 years of relevant experience, of which 4 are in a leadership role.
- MA/MS or Phd in Education will be considered.
- Bilingual in English and Arabic preferred.
- Familiarity with the continuum of medical education (undergrad, GME, and CME) desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Previously demonstrated advanced level analytical, interpersonal, organizational, communications, negotiation, consensus-building, and financial skills.
- Capable of translating ideas into actionable activities.
- Previously demonstrated advanced level ability to operate with a high degree of independence in order to accomplish program objectives.
- Previously demonstrated advanced level ability to work effectively in teams and achieve results collaboratively across programs and institutions.
- Prior experience of working in a cross-cultural environment.
- Previously demonstrated advanced level ability to multi-task in a results-oriented environment.
- Advanced experience of working with Microsoft Office products including word processing, presentation software and data management software.
- Previously demonstrated advanced level ability to work independently and safeguard confidential information.
About the Company
Founded in 1898 and affiliated with what is now New York - Presbyterian Hospital (NYPH) since 1927, Weill Cornell Medicine-Qatar (WCM-Q) is one of the top-ranked clinical and medical research centers in the U.S. It is committed to excellence in research, teaching and patient care, and the advancement of the art and science of medicine.
In addition to the degree in medicine, Weill Cornell offers PhD programs in biomedical research and education at the Weill Graduate School of Medical Sciences; a joint MD-MBA program with Cornell's Johnson School of Management; and a joint MD-PhD program with Rockefeller University and Sloan-Kettering Institute.