Job description / Role
- Manages the contracts and tendering process related to the projects and internal and general procurement needs in close coordination with the relevant divisions/departments. Directs the development of policies, procedures, and plans that ensure proper control over contracting transactions.
- Provide professional advice, expertise, and practical assistance to all assigned requesting departments and end-user of the Company in the review and preparation of scopes of work, including the verification of the completeness and accuracy of the technical information supplied.
- Provide expert advice and direction to Requesting/End-user Departments during tender preparation to ensure that the most suitable contracting strategy for a given scope of work is utilized.
- Identify the most suitable pricing mechanism for a given scope of work, i.e. lump sum, re-measured, cost-plus, escalation factor, exchange fluctuations etc. taking into account the intended Contract duration.
- Compile tender documents in their entirety. Responsible for their completeness, clarity and competitive aspects.
- Prepare and administer the issue and control of all relevant General Tender Committee contracts and Call-off Contracts ensuring compliance with LREDC’s Policies and Procedures.
- If the contracting strategy requires pre-qualified bidders, prepare suitable tailor made pre-qualification documents, invitations and evaluation criteria along with requesting and end- user department and render expert advice to requesting /End-user Departments in short listing potential bidders.
- Liaise with Finance, Legal, and Insurance during the tender preparation to ensure LREDC’s for review of Tenders, discussions, etc.
- Participate in mid-tender meeting/site visits and answer bidder’s queries related to commercial and contractual issues.
- Follow-up Tenderers’ queries for clarifications during the tendering process, give necessary feed-back on
- Contractual/Commercial queries to Requesting/End-user departments and ensure that suitable tender bulletins are issued in a timely manner.
- Participate and assist in conducting technical evaluation of bids with the requesting and end-user departments , identify deficiencies/inconsistencies, confirm Tenderers’ compliance with the tender requirements and comment on irregularities, omissions and qualifications, assist with the preparation of clarification correspondence and advise on technical acceptance of tenders, assist in preparation of technical evaluation report.
- Ensure that technical and commercial reviews are consistent with the terms and conditions of tenders, LREDC’s Policies and Guidelines and the evaluation criteria apply equitably to all received bids.
- Alert requesting and end-user departments in the event that bid validities are expiring.
- Lead the commercial evaluation team and take responsibility in carrying out commercial evaluation of tenders and prepare commercial evaluation report, bid tabulation sheet and “contract award” submittal to the applicable Tender Committees.
- During commercial negotiations with bidders and LREDC Management, render practical assistance for effective negotiation including preparation of management briefs.
- Represent the Contracts Department in various tender and evaluation committees. Maintain strict confidentiality and ethics on all contractual matters.
- Prepare notification to successful bidders by Letter of Acceptance.
- Compile Contract Documents incorporating the effect of all negotiations, clarifications and qualifications.
- Prepare Contract Documents for signature of both parties. Attend Contract Kick-off- Meetings. Render contractual review and interpretation to Requesting\end-user Department, as and when required, on interim payment applications of Contractors by verifying accuracy and compliance with the contract provisions. Monitor contract progress and completion dates as necessary.
- Evaluate critically all variations, claims, change orders or concession requests raised by Contractors and advice Requesting Department/End-user of the admissibility or otherwise of the same, assist in preparing submission to concerned General Tender Committee for approval and prepare Variations to Contract for signing by Contract parties.
- Post Contract administration of Contracts in evaluation of claims, variations and settlement of final account.
- Review and make recommendations as appropriate on all claims/VTC’s and coordinate with the Legal Department in settling these issues.
- Participate during contractual claim discussions and negotiation/resolution meetings with Contractors.
- Review and evaluate claims, and report on validity in consultation with Senior Contracts Manager and Project Managers.
- Review Contract Insurance requirements, Performance/Tender Bonds etc. and prepare correspondence related to validity/renewal etc. of the above documents.
- Assist in reviewing Contract Department Procedures, contract strategies and in applying the aforesaid standards to the various LREDC Contracts.
- Keep abreast of changes, new trends, rules and regulations, provisions and restrictions in the contracting industry of the country, identify deficiencies and improvements in the existing system, participate in ‘Continuous Improvement Audits’ and put forward meaningful suggestions.
- Operate independently within standard industry practices and contracting procedures and refer to Sr. Contracts Manager in case of non-routine cases and on issues requiring further advice and feedback.
- Operate independently on tenders and contracts assigned to him. Completed works are seldom subject to review by the Sr. Contracts Manager.
- Review and analyse project concession requests and technical/contractual deviations from the agreed.
- Assist the Sr. Contracts Manager and the Contracts Department in reviewing “model” contracts, contract procedures, contract strategies and in applying the aforesaid standards to the various LREDC contracts.
- Answer queries and assist the Departments during internal and external audits.
- On completion of Contract, advise on the closure of the project from a contractual, commercial, and legal point of view.
- Reviewing of Final Account to close out the Contract financially.
- Maintain regular contact with the Project Managers, Finance Department and other concerned department representatives to discuss and resolve various contractual issues.
- Serve as focal point in the development and training of Qatari Senior Staff assigned to the Division.
- Monitor contract progress and commitments including monitoring work progress for measurement contracts, monitoring contracts expenditure against financial limits.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- BSc in Engineering/Quantity Surveying or other related discipline.
- 12 years multi-disciplinary experience, including minimum 5 years in the construction industry in the preparation/evaluation/negotiation of tenders/contracts experience in preparation of tenders, contracts and contract administration, particularly in relation to large scale construction/infrastructure/engineering projects preferably in the Middle East and Gulf region.
Further Qualification Required:
- Should have good Technical knowledge in reviewing and finalizing various technical/construction contracts. Good knowledge in legal practices, Contract law and industry practices.
- Good computer literacy in Microsoft office software.
- High proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Proficient in contractual correspondence, contract verbalism, report writing with analytical and computer skills.
- Computer literate and able to use this knowledge for contract analysis, evaluation of statistical data both historical and projected.
- In depth knowledge of the tendering and contracting process.
- Familiarity with the Terms and Conditions of Contract relating to various types of Contracts in the industrial and construction sector and aware of the interpretation, intent and application of these conditions.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of Project Management, Tendering and Contracting policy, practices and procedures.
- Thorough working knowledge of applicable computer software in carrying out the Contracts Departments activities.
- Further Experience Required:
- Experience of procurement in the construction industry.
About the Company
Qatar Project Management (QPM) is an independent subsidiary of Barwa Real Estate Development Company that provides expertise in Project Management, Design Management, Construction Management, and Contract Administration together with other associated Project Management functions. Established in 2008, QPM is centralized platform for provision of Project Management services to Barwa and Qatari Diar as well as local and international markets. QPM provides these services through an in-house team of highly-skilled, motivated, and qualified professionals supported by state-of-the-art information technology and highly-effective Project Management systems.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Qatar Project Management (QPM)