Job description / Role
Primary Purpose of the Job:
• Provide technical and professional assistance to the Senior Commercial Manager for providing advanced program level cost management functions, with support as necessary to project level, and any other related duties as directed.
• This includes key business areas such as cost planning, cost estimating, preparation of programs/projects budget, cost control, payment applications, evaluation of cost impact for changes and claims, management of commercial risks, and interim and final projects/programs cost reports.
• Generally, handles more than one project at a time with full responsibility for completion and handover.
• Provide assistance. to the Senior Commercial Manager for preparation, submission, monitoring and controlling of the Project Feasibility Budget and Forecast Cash Flows based upon feasibility designs and engineering input and assist with the Investment Appraisal estimates of Capital Expenditure and Operational Expenditure via the provision of alternative Cost Models to ensure the most viable and cost efficient solution is adopted.
• Prepare Elemental Cost Plans during concept and schematic design stages.
• Review of Elemental Cost Plans prepared by cost consultants during concept and schematic design stages.
• Prepare Bills of Quantities based upon final design and engineering input.
• Review Bills of Quantities prepared by the cost consultants.
• Provide assistance -to the Senior Commercial Manager for preparation, submission, monitoring and controlling of the Project Concept Budget and Forecast Cash Flows based upon concept designs and engineering input.
• Provide assistance to the Senior Commercial Manager for preparation, submission, monitoring and controlling of the Project Schematic Budget and Forecast Cash Flows based upon schematic designs and engineering input.
• Assist with- Value Engineering and provide estimates of various alternative cost options while reconciling the Project Concept Budget to ensure the project budget
is not exceeded.
• Provide assistance to the Senior Commercial Manager for Preparation, monitoring and controlling of the Project Budget and Forecast Cash Flows, based upon final designs and engineering input.
• Assist with the preparation of the Tender Documents.
• Prepare Pre-Tender Estimate and forecast cash flow based upon final designs and engineering input.
• Review of the Pre-Tender Estimate prepared by cost consultants/cost managers.
• Assist with the Tender process and respond to commercial Tender Queries as appropriate.
• Provide assistance to the Senior Commercial Manager during Commercial
• Evaluation of Tenders received.
• Assist with the Technical Evaluation of Tenders received ensuring at all times that appropriate Risk Mitigation is undertaken.
• Provide assistance to the Senior Commercial Manager for establishing and publishing the high standard monthly Project Cost Reports and presentations with input from the Consultants and Contractors.
• Evaluate cost impact for change requests and claims.
• Review invoice and recommend for payment.
• Estimate potential cost impact of the identified program/project risks using proper qualitative desk analysis.
• Notify any cost overruns during -design development and construction stages t6 the Senior Commercial Manager in a timely manner.
• Monitor contract expenditures to ensure funds are disbursed according to the budget and approved cash flow.
• Monitor price escalation and market environmental factors for potential Impacts on projects budget.
• Update cost data base based on the rates of the awarded contracts on regular basis.
• Monitor program/project cost performance using earned value management and propose corrective action.
• Assist the Senior Program Managers with the program/project closure activities, procedures and documentation.
• Ensure that all relevant quality, health, "safety and environmental procedures, instructions and controls are adhered so that the safety of employees, quality of products/services and environmental compliance can be guaranteed.
• Perform other related duties and assignments as directed.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor Degree in Quantity Surveying or similar commercial discipline.
• Chartered Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), or directly equivalent national institution.
• Minimum 15 years’ experience in commercial management of the large construction projects particularly in the Middle East.
• Must have experience in developing and controlling healthcare projects from initiation to contract close-out.
• Have excellent planning, decision making, problem solving and organizational skills.
• Must have thorough knowledge of industry / international standards, and ability to interpret for specific application within sphere of relevant disciplines.
• Communication & negotiating skills as well as an ability to work in a multicultural team environment must be well developed and proven.
• In the event of non-availability of Senior Commercial Manager, the incumbent shall be directly responsible for all principle accountabilities without the support of the
• Senior Commercial Manager.
• Works within the framework of approved corporate policies, procedures and standards, while exercising a "high degree of independence in selecting methodologies to perform cost management responsibilities and tasks, and in providing expert advice on a wide variety of cost related issues.
• Provide technical and professional assistance to the Senior Commercial Manager for evaluating and providing solutions for particular, critical commercial issues.
About the Company
Qatar Project Management (QPM) is an independent subsidiary of Barwa Real Estate Development Company that provides expertise in Project Management, Design Management, Construction Management, and Contract Administration together with other associated Project Management functions. Established in 2008, QPM is centralized platform for provision of Project Management services to Barwa and Qatari Diar as well as local and international markets. QPM provides these services through an in-house team of highly-skilled, motivated, and qualified professionals supported by state-of-the-art information technology and highly-effective Project Management systems.
Cost Control Manager
Ignite Search & Selection
Cost Control Engineer
Qatar Project Management (QPM)
Currie & Brown
Qatar Project Management (QPM)