Job description / Role
Job Summary and Purpose:
Provides the technical & technological problem-solving ability of design engineering and planning abilities in order to input to the operational performance of complex marine engineering projects in close coordination with commercial (estimating), production (workshops) and operations (project management & planning) departments. To execute & lead a team when required, to technically oversee structural engineering activities for any marine project (& offshore as required).
• Provides technical and critical business inputs to the design engineering process in the phases such as problem definition, conceptual design, preliminary design, detailed design, and design communication.
• Aware of latest industry practice for ships structures.
• Ensuring that engineering deliverables are completed as per the agreed project schedule & with acceptable quality.
• Proper delegation of work to the structural designer & ensuring the engineering KPIs for structural engineering department is achieved.
• Guiding the structural designers to develop drawings in accordance with the contract specifications
• Estimate the manhours structural engineering during the bidding stage of the project.
• Monitor the manhours spent by the electrical designers in development of piping drawings upon award of project.
• Evaluate the comments from client and identify potential change orders.
• Ensure that drawings are issued in line with the safety requirements of the yard & the classification rules.
• Ensures that design meets all the statutory code requirements specified in the contract.
• Displays safe behavior on site and in the office.
• Ensures drawings & design are produced to meet the contract technical specs & class rules.
• Works along with the designer to produce drawings to meet the Department KPIs for quality.
Key Result Areas:
• The delivery of best practice engineering services for defined marine repair, conversion and new building & offshore jobs within the work stream and as aligned with the yard strategy.
• Fit for purpose engineering design and drawing work within minimal to no re-work.
• Degree /Diploma in Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in Marine & Offshore design, preferably in shipyard.
• Experience in Marine structural design, knowledge of structural calculations and Finite Element (FE).
• Technical & Engineering solutions (Marine & Offshore - Structural, Electrical & Instrumentation, Naval Architecture, Piping & Mechanical disciplines)
• Business Systems Knowledge (Engineering)
• Regulatory Knowledge
• Business Process Knowledge
About the Company
N-KOM is one of Middle East's leading shipyards, offering a comprehensive range of marine services as well as solutions for the oil and gas industry.
Strategically located at the heart of oil and gas activities in the Arabian Gulf, Nakilat-Keppel Offshore & Marine (N-KOM) combines a wealth of experience and expertise from its parent companies Qatar Gas Transport Company (Nakilat) and Keppel Offshore & Marine (KOM), to provide repair, conversion and construction services for marine vessels, offshore and onshore structures.
Spanning over 50 hectares, the comprehensive facility is equipped with two graving docks and a floating dock that can easily accommodate VLCCs, quays and piers offering a total berthage capacity of 3,150m, a range of workshops ideally situated in front of the drydocks, more than 500,000sqm of fabrication area and sub-contractor facilities on-site, thus enhancing the shipyard's flexibility and capabilities.
With a team of experienced industry professionals, extensive infrastructure and track record of safe, quality and timely project executions, N-KOM has rapidly established itself as the preferred shipyard in the Middle East.