Job description / Role
Based in Qatar, working for a leading master - developer, this is a key management position that will be responsible for overseeing design activities (horizontal and vertical) of the Middle East and international projects, delivering designs on time and within budget.
Roles & Responsibilities include:
• Oversee and review the designs submitted by consultant (civil / structural, MEP, Interior etc.)
• Provide high level technical support and input to MEP, civil / structural and Design Engineers etc.
• Oversee cost effective and timely execution of international activities related to horizontal design (infrastructure, transportation) and vertical design (civil / structural, MEP, architecture, interior, landscape, etc.)
• Review work plans of design consultants in line with scope of work
• Develop a strategy for the engineering and design team
• Liaise with the development department
• Solve problems and difficulties that the team might be facing
• Strive for continuous improvement in design methods, pioneer innovative designs, identify design related value addition opportunities (cheaper, faster, better)
• Review guidelines that captures design decisions that minimize cost and time overruns, at the same time delivering high quality projects
• Provide feedback to procurement on contractors/consultants performance/relationship
• Review any changes to master plan that may have design implications, communicate to stakeholders (Construction, Project Management, Procurement and Development Management) and propose mitigation strategies
• Provide design input specific to horizontal and vertical design to Development Management for conducting feasibility study
• Support Government Relations, and ensure required permits and licenses are obtained
• Support in setting up cross-functions SLAs, ensure compliance of the function with SLAs
• Participate in the definition of departmental budget and guarantee adherence once approved
Our ideal candidate will possess the following capabilities / skills:
• Significant experience in real estate design across asset classes with large master developers in Middle East, Asia or Africa
• Proven experience of managing design teams for large developments with CAPEX in the range of QR 0.5 -6.0B
• Existing network of design consultants with proven capabilities in mixed use development
• Proven experience of managing design process
• Strong knowledge and exposure Asia and Africa real estate market
• Ability to innovate design processes and horizontal/vertical designs
• Ability to manage and build consensus among Delivery, Procurement, Development Management, and Sales & Marketing functions
• Excellent communication skills (verbal, written) required to present design reviews to management for approval
• Strong people management skills, having previously managed at least 5 mid-senior level managers from different Design sub-functions
• Excellent analytical skills to analyze designs, assess feasibility, and propose changes
Arabic language is preferred but not essential.
• Bachelor's degree in engineering, architecture or construction management
• Masters or MBA preferred
About the Company
"Stratus was founded in 2005 in order to supply a unique, tailored service to the property, real estate and construction industries."
Our approach is honest and upfront, delivering an efficient and cost effective service which we recognise is critical in the current market place. We differentiate ourselves from our competitors by providing consistent high quality results, adding real value to your organisation and allowing talented professionals in the property and construction fields to develop their potential within progressive environments.
Our open and consultative style has allowed us to successfully develop long standing relationships with clients and candidates alike, within leading consultancy, main contracting and client organisations. In tandem with this we also have an expansive network of contacts at all levels across the industry, and can provide sophisticated market intelligence, both in the UK and EMEA.