Elementary Homeroom English Teacher
Arab International Academy (AIA)
Job description / Role
- Planning collaboratively, in the context of the PYP and the AIA curriculum, to build on student knowledge and expertise, develop significant units of inquiry, accommodate a range of ability levels and emphasize connections between curriculum areas.
- Using a range and balance of teaching strategies to differentiate learning.
- Encouraging students to be critical thinkers, involving students actively in pursuing relevant units of inquiry, and maintaining a supportive climate for the needs of second language learners.
- Ensuring that planning, teaching, learning, and assessment are interconnected processes, to maintain a balance of assessment, recording, and reporting strategies that involve students, parents, and colleagues in the assessment process. The teacher should also ensure students see assessment as a means of describing their learning and shaping future learning.
- Actively participating in professional development to continually work to improve learning for our students within the learning culture of AIA and the philosophy of the IB PYP.
- Maintaining a professional demeanor and regard for the image of the school and the support of colleagues in all activities, duties, and requirements of the school as assigned by the Elementary Principal and PYP Coordinator and outlined in the policies of the school.
- The key responsibility of every teacher at AIA is to be familiar with the values and beliefs expressed in the philosophy of the IB PYP and to work to translate them into daily classroom practice in an international environment.
- Education Required: Bachelor
- Minimum Teaching Experience: 3 years of teaching experience
- Major: English - Primary Education
- Teaching Credential/License
- Current and appropriate certification.
- BA or BS degree.
- Major in elementary education or the equivalent.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- IB PYP experience preferred.
- Fluent English is required, but bilingualism is considered an asset.
For languages teachers other than English, fluency in the relevant language is required and English is an asset.
About the Company
The Arab International Academy was founded in Doha, Qatar in 2016 with the goal of establishing a high-level private international school that provides a challenging and well-rounded international educational experience. To achieve that goal, we have drawn on the very best of international thinking in our choice of curriculum and approaches to 21st century teaching and learning. AIA is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for the Diploma Programme. It is also a candidate school for the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) and Middle Years Programme (MYP).