Job description / Role
Graphic Designer (Locally-Based Candidates)
This position will support creation of designed collateral and conduct artistic or special needs photography as needed. The incumbent will design and develop all collateral for print and digital media to present the university activities to a variety of audiences. The individual may create short video edits, produce titles, overlays and basic motion graphics and animations.
As this position is based in Doha, Qatar and offers no relocation assistance, GU-Q is looking only for locally-based candidates who have a valid Qatar residence permit. This is a renewable term position for one year.
• Responsible for design and production of all materials used to promote GU-Q and its programs in print and digital media, in compliance with Georgetown University visual identity guidelines.
• Designs elegant collateral on behalf of the university including but not limited to reports, brochures, booklets, posters, invitations, programs, recruitment materials, advertisements and newsletters.
• Creates electronic and print advertisements for various digital and print media.
• Edits short videos and produces intros, outros, and graphics for videos and social media.
• Provides design and execution for print and digital collateral.
• Prepares graphics and images for web and print applications.
• Designs promotional collateral and gift items, cards, stationery in line with the brand guidelines.
• Photographs and captures university activities for use in print and digital collateral.
• Contributes ideas to the overall design process and chooses art direction for each project.
• Reviews a variety of concepts with management and refines ideas based on feedback.
• Creates aesthetic direction in accordance with high quality design standards.
• Complies with the department’s file management procedures and delivers products within deadlines.
• Collaborates with members of the university to satisfy all communication needs.
• Photographs a variety of subjects to develop a creative archive for use in design and advertising.
• Creates animated graphics for marketing and web collateral.
• Works with social media team to continuously provide a flow of creative info graphics.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the manager.
• Bachelor's degree in graphic design or visual communications or combination of training and relevant work experience.
• At least 6 months of work experience in designing and producing print and digital content for various purposes demonstrated in the designer’s digital portfolio (PDF or Web URL both accepted)
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite including, but not limited to, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and video editing tools for video production.
• Knowledge of SLR photography and lighting subjects for still and video production.
• Excellent design and typography skills
• Knowledge of desktop publishing, working knowledge of online and web publishing systems.
• Sound aesthetic sense and strong command of design standards for English and Arabic graphics.
• Thorough understanding of Eastern language layout flows (right to left) in conjunction with Western language design layouts (left to right).
• Ability to create and lay out dual language content simultaneously based on end purpose of print or digital product.
• Strong organization skills and ability to work with multiple deadlines
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Proven attention to detail and quality of work
• Experience demonstrating initiative and innovation
The review of applications will begin February 2 and will continue until the role is filled.
About the Company
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) is located on the Education City campus in Doha, Qatar and offers a variety of lifelong learning opportunities for the community. The four-year Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service (BSFS) degree program is delivered by the world renowned Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service with a curriculum that is identical to that offered to students in Washington, D. C. Each year, GU-Q admits a class of approximately 75 students, primarily from the Middle East, South Asia and Southeast Asia. GU-Q is sponsored by Qatar Foundation and is one of six American universities located within Education City. All students have access to a superb range of recreational and housing facilities offered by Qatar Foundation and they take classes in classrooms equipped with state of the art technology. The campus currently boasts the presence of the largest public access library in Qatar. The compensation, benefits, terms of employment and professional development opportunities for GU-Q faculty and staff are highly competitive.