Head of Contracts
Nakilat Keppel Offshore & Marine (N-KOM)
Job description / Role
Position: Head of Contracts
Section: Procurement & Supply Chain
Company: Nakilat Keppel Offshore - Marine
Location: Ras Laffan
Job Summary and Purpose
This role encompasses the operational leadership and management of all staff responsible for Contracting within Procurement & Supply Chain. It is a key leadership role which recognizes the importance of this key function to NKOM in establishing contractually sound, cost effective and available sourcing of safe and quality shipyard services and labor. Responsible for all day to day operational management, policy compliance & improvement and professional management of the Contracting team.
The role demands high level communication skills to influence internal stakeholders across all projects as well as key external parties. The success of this role will be measured by contractual effectiveness to deliver high availability & low cost on shipyard services and labor. The role is key in underwriting the success of Procurement and is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with key suppliers & providers on a global, regional and local scale for tendering, negotiations, contracting, legal consideration, closure, management of risk, as well as management of critical success factors such as security of supply and delivery performance.
1) Manages all processes relating to subcontracting and leads a team of Contracting Officers and Admin Assistants in executing subcontracting work to support the Operations Department which includes
a) Sourcing and identifying suitable subcontractors and maintain a list of Approved Subcontractors and database of subcontractors and their respective scopes.
b) Securing of subcontractors for project as required by end users.
c) Evaluation of performance of subcontractors' performance and identifies areas of improvement.
2) Formulates policies and strategies to manage the sub-contracting processes in the most effective manner.
3) Develops, cultivate and maintains strategic relationship with sub-contractors.
4) Performs relevant elements of contract review relating to sub-contractor cost, as required.
5) Assesses and negotiates sub-contractors’ quotations and bills.
6) Liaises with the Commercial Department on forthcoming repair projects to prepare the upfront sub-contracting for the vessel arrival date and work scope, and the feedback for the costs of critical jobs.
7) Plans and assigns project to Contracting Officers.
8) Approves Work Orders.
9) Monitors and prepares sub-contractor manpower report to the General Manager (Operations).
10) Settle sub-contractor disputes on Variation Order claims.
11) Work with contractors, and Commercial Department to establish yard standard tariffs.
12) Manages Subcontractor Facilities and assigns workshop and office spaces.
13) Conducts Department Reviews to requirements defined in the QP.
14) Monitors the performance indicators set for Contracting and defined in N-KOM IMS Policy and Objectives Matrix.
15) Reports PIs and results of preventive actions at Management Reviews to requirements defined in the IMSP.
16) Carries out the responsibility for safety and health as defined in the Safety and Health Manual.
17) Performs any other assigned duties and responsibilities.
Key Result Areas
- Establishment of contractual conditions with suppliers of materials & services for optimal Company benefit.
Qualifications, Experience and Job Skills
- Degree in Marine, Mechanical, Electrical & Electronics, Instrumentation Engineering. Alternatively, a Degree in Business or Supply Chain and coupled with commensurate experience.
- Shipyard, oil and gas, or process industry experience, plus high level exposure to contracts, terms and conditions and labor laws would be an added advantage
About the Company
N-KOM is one of Middle East's leading shipyards, offering a comprehensive range of marine services as well as solutions for the oil and gas industry.
Strategically located at the heart of oil and gas activities in the Arabian Gulf, Nakilat-Keppel Offshore & Marine (N-KOM) combines a wealth of experience and expertise from its parent companies Qatar Gas Transport Company (Nakilat) and Keppel Offshore & Marine (KOM), to provide repair, conversion and construction services for marine vessels, offshore and onshore structures.
Spanning over 50 hectares, the comprehensive facility is equipped with two graving docks and a floating dock that can easily accommodate VLCCs, quays and piers offering a total berthage capacity of 3,150m, a range of workshops ideally situated in front of the drydocks, more than 500,000sqm of fabrication area and sub-contractor facilities on-site, thus enhancing the shipyard's flexibility and capabilities.
With a team of experienced industry professionals, extensive infrastructure and track record of safe, quality and timely project executions, N-KOM has rapidly established itself as the preferred shipyard in the Middle East.