Job description / Role
Position: Head of Marine Personnel
Section: Fleet - Marine Personnel
Company : Nakilat
Location : Doha, Qatar
Job Summary and Purpose
• Establish, implement, monitor and maintain the policies and procedures of the organization with regards to marine personnel serving on board the wholly owned vessels of Nakilat.
• Ensure that the ship-based employees of the organization are provided with appropriate and ample opportunities for career development and also see to it that the contractual obligations of the company are honored.
• Develop criteria for third party crew administrators, tender invitation, pre-qualification selection criteria and appointment of third party crew administrators when required.
• The Marine Personnel Manager shall also establish and monitor the performance of third party crew administrators against agreed KPIs.
• Develop programs and maintain relationships with third parties so as to ensure that Nakilat is able to attract, develop and retain the best personnel belonging to the Maritime sector.
Conduct appraisals and recommend the deserving marine personnel for promotions to ensure that they are ethical, fair and equitable.
Also provide recommendations and ensure that the name of deserving people is recommended for promotions.
• Assess the performance of ship managers and other sub-contracted parties concerned with implementing marine personnel employment requirements and provide oversight and support to ensure contract compliance and overall performance.
Sources of Information:
• Establish and maintain information sources that provide a global perspective of developments which affect marine personnel and the potential ability of the company to hire quality manpower.
• Establish and maintain benchmark data of competitors for sea staff and recommend changes as and when required.
• Manage department staff and teams by overseeing their performance management, recruitment, training and development to ensure high levels of engagement and competence.
• Contribute to managing change in own team by providing inputs for and taking part in change initiatives, programmes and projects that are aligned with the best practice.
Quality, Health, Safety, & Environment (QHSE):
• Oversee and ensure compliance to all relevant QHSE policies, procedures and controls across Marine Personnel department to ensure that NAKILAT provides a safe, world class, secure and environmentally responsible service to customers, the public and its own people
Budgets and Plans:
• Prepare the Marine Personnel department budget, and monitor its expenditure, while ensuring the optimal utilization of all available resources to protect Nakilat interest.
Systems and Processes:
• Develop the Marine Personnel department policies, procedures and system, and ensure their proper implementation to support achieving the different set targets and plans.
• Bachelor’s degree in Maritime studies or in a related discipline or equivalent relevant experience
• 10 to 15 years’ experience required of working in a marine personnel requirement, with 5 years of which in a managerial supervisory role.
• Knowledge and experience of working with offshore crewing companies.
• Knowledge should include awareness of laws of IMO, ILO, ISM and STCW 95
Job Specific Skills:
• Good understanding of the Maritime industry and the extensive amount of legal requirements pertaining to sea staff employment
• Extensive knowledge and experience in managing an international marine personnel/crewing responsibility in a high demand and often complex operating environment
• Acquired knowledge and network of contacts within the marine personnel community to support competitive practices and new initiatives within Nakilat
• Advanced knowledge of HR principles and practices
About the Company
Qatar Gas Transport Company Ltd. (known as Nakilat, which means carriers in Arabic) is a Qatari-listed shipping company established by the State of Qatar to own, operate and manage LNG vessels and to provide shipping and marine-related services to a range of participants within the Qatari hydrocarbon sector. Nakilat is an integral component of the supply chain of some of the largest, most advanced energy projects in the world undertaken by Qatar Petroleum, Qatargas, RasGas and their joint venture partners for the State of Qatar.
Nakilat was established in 2004 and is a joint stock company owned 50% by its founding shareholders and 50% by the public. Nakilat owns 54 LNG vessels, making it the largest LNG ship owner in the world. Our fleet of vessels transport LNG produced from Qatars North Field, the worlds largest non-associated gas field with approximately 15% of the worlds total proven reserves to global markets. These vessels, ordered from Korean shipyards, incorporate the latest technology for safe, reliable and cost-effective transportation of LNG.