Job description / Role
- The position is responsible for the implementation of best international practices of Health and Safety both in the design and construction stages of the Project with the aim of ‘Zero Harm’.
- This position is also responsible for the correct identification and recording of incidents and accidents on construction projects and the implementation of lessons learned for continual improvement.
- Draft or review any HSE-related documents as required.
- Attendance at relevant meetings.
- Review and ensure that HSE principles are incorporated and applied.
- Provide progress reports as and when required.
- Identify, develop, promote, and Implement health and safety programs as required on sites and by the Health & Safety policies and laws.
- Preparation and implementation of HSE plans, policies, and procedures.
- To review and approve the Contractor’s and Supervision Consultant’s HSE staff, plans, and procedures.
- Carry out audits for ISO 9001, 14001, and OHSAS 18001 and recommend the necessary corrective actions and measures.
- Advise, guide, and support managers in the implementation of Health & Safety practices both on-site and within the office environment.
- Ensure that appropriate Health and Safety training is delivered.
- To work with the supervision consultants and contractors to ensure they are continually improving their QHSE approach and systems on projects to reduce accidents.
- To work with other departments within the Client and the government in identifying and sharing best practices.
- To establish and implement appropriate HSE measures that robustly collect accurate data on performance, and have targets and benchmarks where appropriate.
- To foster a culture of continual improvement in the department and across the supply chain.
- To identify, develop, and improve procedures and systems for the section, department, and Client.
- To provide reports to the Client's higher management regarding HSE targets, KPIs, any HSE incidents, or any HSE topics as required.
- Undertake audits of the performance of the contractors on HSE and collaborate with all relevant parties in improving safety.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety legislation.
- Analyse accidents and identify trends, vulnerabilities, and liabilities that can be avoided by preventive techniques and procedures.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Minimum of 15 years post-graduate experience with a minimum of 10 years experience in the same field and same position. Experience with major infrastructure projects or programs. preference will be given to roads, aviation, structures, or rail-related experience.
- Detailed knowledge of HSE system standards, such as ISO, OHSAS, or similar, and their practical use on sites.
- Experienced in the collection of accident and incident data on construction projects, the calculation of performance measures, and the preparation of reports for senior management.
- Demonstrable experience in improving HSE outcomes for organizations involved in the construction of large-scale infrastructure.
- Experience in implementing safety systems at the construction phase of projects.
- Knowledge and experience of issues that affect the health and safety of construction workers in the Gulf region, and the ability to recommend ameliorative measures to address this.
- Knowledge and experience of environmental impacts related to construction in the Gulf region, and ameliorative measures to address them.
- Knowledge of cultural issues that may impact the ability of a diverse workforce to comply with HSE systems, and experience in implementing measures to address these issues.
- Demonstrable history in the delivery of large multidisciplinary projects.
- In-depth knowledge of Client project controls procedures.
- A “rounded profile”, comfortable with planning, analysis, and managing process and commercial considerations (The successful candidate will also be able to mobilize people and teams and by their leadership skills lead teams and secure successful deliverables.
- Effective in building good working relationships within complex structures, both internally and with various project stakeholders.
- A Bachelor Degree in Engineering/Science or equivalent (NEBOSH Dip, Level 6).
- Professional OHS Qualifications certified by NEBOSH (IGC/NGC)
- Professional OHS Qualification certified by IOSH Managing Safely or Working Safely)/OSHA.
- Safety Management Qualification certified in ISO 45001 as Lead Auditor
- Excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken
- In-depth knowledge and experience of Client & Government procedures.
- Client-side experience
- Driver’s License.
- Formal occupational health and safety qualifications (e.g. NEBOSH diploma as issued in the UK) or equivalent are preferred..
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Arabic language skills.
- Experience working in Qatar/or the Gulf region and internationally.
About the Company
CDM Smith provides lasting and integrated solutions in water, environment, transportation, energy and facilities to public and private clients worldwide. As a full-service consulting, engineering, construction, and operations firm, we deliver exceptional client service, quality results and enduring value across the entire project life cycle.
Big Fish Recruitment
Safety Manager - Construction