Job description / Role
The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for providing support to core areas of the Human Resources Department, including: recruitment, compensation, benefits, learning and development,immigration, payroll and HRIS. This position is expected to serve as a backup to specialists in the aforementioned areas, when needed. The position will also be responsible for coordinating critical human resources operational and administrative activities.
As this position is based in Doha, Qatar and offers no relocation assistance, GU-Q is looking only for locally-based candidates who have a valid Qatar residence permit. The review of applications will begin mid-January and will continue until the role is filled.
- Plan, organize and coordinate a variety of HR operational and administrative activities including maintaining personnel records and drafting correspondence;
- Serve as a primary point of contact for faculty, staff, guests and visitors, clarifying human resources policies and procedures, and directing employees to the appropriate member of the department;
- Support members of the HR team to resolve issues, interpret policies and procedures, and recommend solutions and/or next steps;
- Support the recruitment and onboarding of staff and AAP positions, as needed
- Prepare a variety of HRIS and payroll-related forms and letters
- In support of the learning and development strategy, research and identify potential training providers and assist with in-house training sessions;
- Maintain the employee contact lists and internal employee email distribution lists;
- Monitor and manage HR departmental email inbox and field responses to general HR inquiries;
- Initiate requests for a variety of centralized services (e.g. travel, events) and provide support for departmental events and activities;
- Assist with budget-related tracking and reports;
- Respond to ad-hoc requests for reports, lists, faculty and staff data;
- Provide assistance as needed with itineraries for departmental guests;
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information;
- Assist members of the department(s) with unit-specific special projects and other related work activities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- 3+ years’ human resources experience, preferably for a multinational organization;
- Knowledge of and experience working with human resources policies and practices;
- Proven ability to take initiative and work proactively with great attention to detail;
- Strong proficiency with Windows and MS Office; experience working with Human Resources Information Management systems preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong critical and analytical thinking skills.
About the Company
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) is located on the Education City campus in Doha, Qatar and offers a variety of lifelong learning opportunities for the community. The four-year Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service (BSFS) degree program is delivered by the world renowned Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service with a curriculum that is identical to that offered to students in Washington, D. C. Each year, GU-Q admits a class of approximately 75 students, primarily from the Middle East, South Asia and Southeast Asia. GU-Q is sponsored by Qatar Foundation and is one of six American universities located within Education City. All students have access to a superb range of recreational and housing facilities offered by Qatar Foundation and they take classes in classrooms equipped with state of the art technology. The campus currently boasts the presence of the largest public access library in Qatar. The compensation, benefits, terms of employment and professional development opportunities for GU-Q faculty and staff are highly competitive.