Job description / Role
Purpose: To manage the Legal function providing legal advice to the company in order to mitigate legal risks, resolve related problems and disputes, and provide ongoing legal assistance for business transactions, while consistently adhering to applicable laws and regulations as well as internal policies, and working to promote my clients overall interest.
Strategy Formulation, Implementation and Planning
• In conjunction with the CEO and senior management team, formulate and lead the implementation of the Legal strategy in line with the companies vision, mission and corporate objectives. Ensure that the overall strategy is translated into annual operational business plans for the Legal Department and the performance is monitored annually to ensure that business plans are in line with the overall strategy
• Lead the effective achievement of functional objectives through leadership of the Legal function and by setting of individual objectives, managing performance, recruiting qualified staff, developing and motivating staff, provision of formal and informal feedback and appraisal – in order to maximize subordinate and departmental performance.
• Define an optimum organization structure and direct the development of departmental structures so that resources are optimally utilized and communication can take place in an efficient manner.
Budgets and Plans
• Direct the preparation and consolidation of the Legal Department budgets and monitor financial performance versus the budget so that the business is aware of anticipated costs/revenues, areas of unsatisfactory performance are identified and potential performance improvement opportunities are capitalized upon.
• Manage the provision of sound legal advice and recommendations to aid the senior management team with the decision making process in order to promote the interests of the company by instituting appropriate legal measures and guarding against potential liability.
• Assist in the provision of required legal support and recommendations to the executive management on matters that are of strategic importance to the company in order to safeguard and protect institutional interests.
• Provide legal advice on corporate compliance with relevant statutory or other governmental rules and regulations in addition to applicable judicial requirements in order to promote and protect the companies interests.
• Provide legal advice on local and international agreements relating to business operations to develop sound legal implementation of business practices and to prevent legal exposure and minimize liability where feasible.
• Provide legal advice on formulating and reviewing contractual negotiation and documentation; and support managers in the resolution of contractual issues/disputes to secure the companies best interests.
• Manage the review and development of contracts, with a view to maximizing the company’s overall interest in light of a balanced assessment of relevant risk and with a goal of preventing legal exposure to the company.
• Ensure that the Legal team meets with key personnel involved in the negotiation of important contracts, with a view to providing legal advice in relation to the drafting of contracts, Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), etc.; the purpose of joint business and legal review of terms and conditions is to create heightened awareness of applicable legal concepts while striving to advance commercial advantages.
Litigation and Dispute Settlements
• Manage the various litigation and dispute settlement activities and lead legal negotiations in order ensure a positive outcome for the company, where possible.
• Ensure that the company’s rights vis-à-vis third parties are adequately protected and direct the initiation or participation in litigation or court process where necessary or advisable.
• Assist in defending claims or legal actions taken against the company.
• Ensure the use of proper communication and negotiation techniques to avoid litigation where possible and achieve out of court settlements favoring the company.
Malpractice and Misconducts Investigation
• Manage the investigation of any malpractice, misconduct, or fraudulent activity or report in order to resolve them and recommend measures in line with the relevant internal policies, laws and regulations.
• Manage the investigation, interrogation and performance of administrative disciplinary enquiries with employees for alleged misconduct in order to establish the merits of the allegations and charges, and to recommend the appropriate disciplinary action
• Provide opinion and advice on the legal aspects of claims related to different commercial matters (e.g. customers, suppliers, vendors, contractors, etc.) with a view to recover the company’s rights, minimize liability and reach amicable settlements in line with management’s discretion.
• Actively participate in setting guidelines and in administration of the corporate governance of the company, including the establishment, definition, implementation and periodical review of the corporate standards and operating procedures to ensure that they are legally robust, commercially relevant, and operationally suitable to implement and manage.
• Manage the procurement of external legal service providers, brief them, and manage their output to ensure it is delivered in line with the contemplated scope of services and is produced in a timely and cost effective manner.
• During the retainer period, coordinate with external legal advisors and key stakeholders, as well as oversee the quality of the deliverables to ensure that the services are provided as per set standards and expectations as well as to ensure that the company is getting the best value for the fees paid.
Legal Studies and Research
• Manage the research, analysis and benchmarking for legal issues, including risk management practices, in order to ensure the establishment of legal processes in accordance with the best fitted global practices and world class standards.
• Manage the legal function to serve as a legal resource for management and the board, keeping them informed of legislation, trends and other issues that might affect the company’s effectiveness, responsibility to stakeholders and vulnerability to risk and legal issues.
• Assist in sponsoring awareness sessions on select legal functions and on the implementation of certain legal rules for company employees or partners in order to enhance the compliance of process owners with defined standards, laws, regulations and legislative requirements.
• Fluency in Arabic and English is a must.
• Bachelor’s degree in law from a recognized university.
• Legal qualification such as bar is preferred.
• 15 years relevant experience in a similar sector including at least 8 years in positions of progressively increasing managerial responsibilities in legal function.
• Expertise in local and international laws and regulations as they relate to the company.
• Legal resolution, arbitration, prosecution, and litigation skills.
• Negotiation and dispute settlement skills.
• Tenders and contracts understanding and writing skills.
• Advanced people management and leadership skills.
• Problem solving skills.
• Good relationship management skills.
• Good Communication skills.
• Arabic speaking is a must.
About the Company
Matchtech is a leading global engineering recruitment specialist, with over 30 years' experience in successfully matching job-seekers with hiring employers within the engineering industry. Our 300-strong team of dedicated recruitment consultants provide recruitment services across core engineering sectors including, aerospace, automotive, energy, infrastructure and maritime. We also offer specialist recruitment within the growing field of engineering technology.
We are passionate about quality and work to the most rigorous standards in the recruitment industry. Our goal is to always exceed the expectations of our customers by providing the best delivery and the highest quality service possible.