Principal Structural Designer
Job description / Role
51,000 people. 49 countries. Over 120 office locations.
We're not just engineers. We're a global team of data scientists, consultants, construction workers and innovators all working to create a better tomorrow. Every day, we help customers in energy, chemicals and resources get one step closer to solving our planet's toughest issues. Climate change. The energy transition. Digital transformation. And how we can deliver a more sustainable world.?
Whatever your ambition, there's a path for you here. And there's no barrier to your potential career success.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
- May participate in project execution strategy and planning.
- Knows the project and discipline scope/cost/time requirements, assists the team to meet expectations, and coordinates with other disciplines to ensure project success.
- Implements innovative solutions, technology advances, and methods to effectively deal with working out of sequence.
- Supports management of project change and progressing for the discipline and works with the Project Management Team to take corrective actions regarding any issues, staffing requirements, scope changes, progressing, or other events that could affect project completion and/or profitability.
- Plans discipline quality, monitors quality activities, drives and participates in squad checking, recommends improvements, and takes action where required.
- Monitor design/drafting estimating norms within asset for own discipline.
- Develop and promote drafting and CAD initiatives to improve cost effectiveness of design / drafting work within own discipline.
- Participate in review of structural design and advise on technical drafting difficulties or government compliance requirements as appropriate.
- Oversee the preparation of design and detail drawings from sketches, plans or other design / specification data.
- Participate in design review with various clients and to advise on technical design and drafting issues and compliance requirements as appropriate.
- Gathers data from multiple sources and prepares analyses, calculations, etc.
- Assists with recommendations and helps create final documentation.
- Determines technical issues, defines alternate solutions, establishes pros/cons for multiple solutions, and makes recommendations to support official project documents such as technical queries, technical deviations, etc.
- Creates final documentation incorporating all relevant information and pursues internal authorization.
- May review similar documentation to assist others and reviews/authorizes work done by direct reports.
- Work within the provisions and guidelines of the Quality Assurance systems.
- Responsible for personal safety and working within the Occupational Health & Safety procedures.
- Competent in implementing HSE in the design process, focuses on process safety and strives to use best practice
Industry Specific Experience:
- Minimum 15 years proven experience of detailed Civil Structural design gained with design contractors and/or oil/gas companies within the industry.
- Extensive design experience in the relevant discipline in the same or similar industry, and, where relevant, experience managing and leading multi-disciplinary projects and teams.
Education - Qualifications, Accreditation, Training:
- Trade Apprenticeship, Certificate, Diploma, Advance Diploma of Engineering Technology in Civil Structural discipline
- Maintain HSE focus with the team to ensure OHSE requirements.
- Demonstrate behaviour and business practices commensurate with a culture of world's best health, safety and environmental performance.
- Demonstrate a visible and active commitment to:
- Personal well-being;
- Healthy and safe workplaces and activities; and
- Continuously improve Worley health, safety and environmental performance.
- Identify and report work hazards and incidents.
What we offer you
Providing an agile culture and challenging work opportunities results in a positive work environment. Our people enjoy competitive compensation packages and a fun, personal, collaborative and safe working environment. We value equal employment opportunity and are committed to promoting fairness, equality and diversity.
Our policy is to conduct background checks for all candidates who accept an offer of employment with us.
If you have the passion and talent to keep up, it's time to test the limits of what you can become. Find your future with Worley.
About the Company
Worley is a leading global provider of professional services in the energy, chemicals and resources sectors. We partner with our customers to address their most critical challenges at every stage of their projects: from initial concepts to sustaining and enhancing their assets. And we provide smarter, bolder solutions while delivering on our own sustainability commitments.
We are 51,000 bright minds across 46 countries all driven by a common purpose – delivering a more sustainable world. While working to fulfill our ambition to be recognized globally as the leader in sustainability solutions.