Job description / Role
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood has an opportunity for a Project Controls Manager to join our team in Qatar on a long-term basis. This is a key role within the Wood Doha office delivering across study, FEED, EPC and PMC scopes of work. In this role, you will be responsible for the execution of project work in accordance with the project execution plan, including Wood and/or project procedures, maintaining Safety and Quality within the manhour, cost and project schedule targets.
Reflecting the market focus for the office in both brownfield and greenfield opportunities, multi-skilled personnel are sought, in particular those with experience in:
- Onshore Oil and Gas
- Offshore Oil and Gas
- Leads the cost; planning, scheduling and risk assessment support to assignments / project teams and clients, typically on projects of moderate size and complexity
- Oversees the set up and running of all required project controls systems, tools and interfaces to allow successful management and reporting of the project costs, schedule and risks on projects and specific assignments.
- Responsible for managing a team of project control resources in support of project delivery excellence
- The role interfaces with a number of key stakeholders across the project and wider business.
- Primary focal point for the Project Manager, Client or Project Team for all matters relating to project costs, schedules and risk; and resources requirements.
- Develops and implements the project control execution plan for projects of moderate size and complexity.
- Act as the focal point with the client and any contractor Project Controllers as appropriate to ensure
costs and progress are reported accurately, ensure alignment with the project reporting
requirements and ensure timely and accurate cost and progress reporting
- Monitor overall project / assignment progress status, achievement and non-achievement of major milestones and analyse and forecast performance in relation to plan
- Identification, monitoring and reporting against the project critical path providing early warning to the Project Manager of any potential slippages
- Identifies and establishes the communications interfaces essential for the delivery of cost, planning, scheduling and risk deliverables and services
- Report project status and KPI to management
- Develops the project Work Breakdown Structure
- Manage the implementation of the cost and planning control structures in alignment with the project Work Breakdown Structure
- Manage and oversee the project work approval process in terms of accurate cost code allocation and initial budget set-up and approvals
- Timely control and forecasting of budgets and ensure that the impact of all change requests are properly assessed and included in the budget and schedules if applicable
- Accountable for accuracy and timeliness of S-curves and histograms produced by team
- Accountable for delivery and ongoing maintenance of the projects fully resourced, logic linked Gantt Charts within preferred planning software to the agreed project and programme requirements
- Accountable for providing analysis of current and future resource needs for the project and programme to the Project Manager
- Manages and oversees the recovery process following identified slippages or significant float erosion
- Responsible for timely and accurate development and issuing of project change orders / variations in accordance with contract / assignment change notifications
- Promote the project change management system and facilitate assurance activities to ensure the process is adhered to
- Serve as Chair for ongoing internal team and client team Project Controls meetings (Cost, Schedule and Progress).
- Oversee the preparation of proposal schedules and CTR packs
- Lead cost and schedule risk analysis workshops / sessions both internally and with client
- Ensure risk is managed and monitored at project level in line with local standards and processes
- Ensure Project Controls processes and procedures are accurate, that the project controls team are familiar with them and comply with their requirements Responsible for ensuring that projects are managed effectively to ensure delivery in a manner which meets quality, time and budget specifications
- Accountable for the accuracy and completeness of all cost, planning and risk deliverables prior to issue to internal or external customer
- Responsible for ensuring all project specific control tools and systems are set up and functioning adequately
- Manage the workload, performance and development of the project controls team.
- Provides constructive feedback and coaching.
- Responsible for ensuring project control staff are competent to carry out assigned work
- Reviews contractual obligations and ensures that cost control activities are performed in accordance with the contractual agreements and the Client's requirements
- Ensuring that lessons learned are captured and implemented in support of continuous improvement
- Motivates project control team to meet project aims; promotes communication and teamwork within group and project
- Other project control team members
- Project Managers and Engineers
- Project Accountants, Time capture and Billing Specialists
- Commercial function
- Manages a team consisting of professional staff
- Provides regular updates to management
- Liaises with clients and contractors to resolve complex issue
Decision Making Authority
- Decisions may have serious impact on project performance.
- Actions and decisions typically have a significant influence on departmental operations and functionality and a moderate influence on the medium-term operational and financial results of a business group
- Work is performed under general direction.
- Overall objectives and resource requirements are communicated to management
- Reports budget and/or schedule deviations right away
- Regularly called on to use owm professional judgement to evaluate, recommend solutions and resolve issues on medium complexity projects
- Anticipates potential problems and proactively resolves complex problems by interfacing with departments on medium complexity projects.
- Overall performance is reviewed & evaluated.
Skills / Qualifications:
- Typically requires ISCED level 6 (Bachelors) Degree in a relevant technical or business discipline (or equivalent gained through relevant vocational training and/or industry experience)
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Typically requires a minimum of 20 years of relevant industry experience in project control positions, including significant experience supervising and managing others
- Significant experience and capability in management of contracts, budgeting, controlling costs, planning, scheduling and management of change
- Knowledgeable across engineering, procurement and constructions execution
- Understands the use and applications of Project Controls department tools and systems -
- Possess keen business insight: embraces Wood's strategic purpose and goals and translates these into practical concepts relevant to project execution
- Builds knowledge networks: creates and maintains a global network of subject matter experts inside and outside their team and Wood.
- Ability to think analytically, conceptually and adaptively, and make sense of new information across multiple levels of detail
- Ale to address substantive conflicts and facilitate timely resolution: builds collaborative relationships, engages others, fosters teamwork, aligns differences
- Good mentoring skills: teaches, coaches, and mentors to help assure individual and team success as well as develop the next generation
- Able to foster development of a common vision and collaboration among team members and teams across geographical and cultural boundaries, promotes open expression of ideas, encourages and empowers others to achieve.
- Ability to lead a team and work independently
- Excellent client service focus
- Exceptional organisational skills and able to multi-task
- Demonstrates commitment to Wood Values, Visions & Behaviours
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
- Effective organization & planning skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities in a fast paced environment
- Understands and controls one's emotions with empathy for others
- Communicates effectively: listens to understand and is able to articulate ideas and complex concepts clearly and convincingly to a wide range of audiences, expresses ideas clearly and concisely, seeks to understand others perspectives
- Uses initiative and a proactive approach to problem solving
- Commitment to continuous improvement
About the Company
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people.