Job description / Role
The incumbent will assist in the overall activities of the bookstore and retail operations. He/she will act as the main cashier and Bookstore reception.
The Bookstore is a physically central place in the University. Often, it is a visitor’s first encounter with GU-Q. It is integral in providing books and materials for classes as well as spirit and promotional items for the university. Bookstore and Retail Services is a unit within the Facilities Department. The position is temporary, for a maximum period of 6 months and the anticipated start date in the first week of November 2019.
As this position is based in Doha, Qatar and offers no relocation assistance, GU-Q is looking for locally based candidates only. This is a temporary, non-sponsored position that requires all applicants to already have the necessary sponsorship to live and work in Qatar.
• Process customer sales transactions while being well versed in all bookstore operations.
• Create and manage Bookstore's financial paperwork including daily, weekly, and monthly reporting, reconciliation and deposits.
• Assist with the book distribution for Spring 2020 semester. This involves unboxing of shipment, recording of textbook information on the point of sale (POS) system, and distributing textbooks to students at the beginning of the semester.
• Assist with textbook returns, including the boxing/packing of books and the generating of return vouchers and shipment details in coordination with the mailroom.
• Assist in managing inventory and conducting internal inventory audits in December; assist with monthly audits.
• Maintain Bookstore appearance and cleanliness at all times; develop creative merchandise displays, window displays, and coordinate with the Events team on advertisements for on-campus events.
• Assist in processing new merchandise orders by unpacking shipments, pricing merchandise, recording on the system, displaying and advertising.
• Assist the supervisor with inventory management by restocking supplies and tracking stock depletion.
• Assist with book launches and other events that take place in the bookstore.
• Assist with the ordering of giveaways for GU-Q departments and events.
• Oversee and delegate Bookstore student worker projects.
• Assist with the management of the Bookstore during the absence of the supervisor.
• Provide excellent customer service at all times.
• High School Diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 2+ years of experience in business management or business-related activities dealing with customer service, preferably within retail services.
• High levels of customer service and the ability to provide a friendly, customer-oriented atmosphere.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
• Preference of prior experience in retail services operations within campus stores or retail operations.
• Previously demonstrated multi-tasking ability in a results-oriented environment.
• Ability to work with Microsoft Office, Point of Sale systems and other computer-related software.
About the Company
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) is located on the Education City campus in Doha, Qatar and offers a variety of lifelong learning opportunities for the community. The four-year Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service (BSFS) degree program is delivered by the world renowned Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service with a curriculum that is identical to that offered to students in Washington, D. C. Each year, GU-Q admits a class of approximately 75 students, primarily from the Middle East, South Asia and Southeast Asia. GU-Q is sponsored by Qatar Foundation and is one of six American universities located within Education City. All students have access to a superb range of recreational and housing facilities offered by Qatar Foundation and they take classes in classrooms equipped with state of the art technology. The campus currently boasts the presence of the largest public access library in Qatar. The compensation, benefits, terms of employment and professional development opportunities for GU-Q faculty and staff are highly competitive.