Job description / Role
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Safety Engineer is part of the HSE team and will be providing all necessary assistance to the construction supervision team concerning all safety, health and environmental issues. He will review and approve the safety plans of the contractor, and he will monitor the safety of the works and the safety of the traffic diversions and ensure compliance with the regulations.
The Safety Engineer provides a focal point for all safety issues throughout the construction contract by reviewing contractor’s safety submittals, visiting the site, chairing the weekly safety meetings, following up on non-conformances, and taking a lead role in ensuring the contractor complies with his approved Safety Plan and attends regular safety audits.
• Assists in the development of the Project Safety, Health and Environment Plan (PSHEP).
• Monitor the construction activities against the requirements of the project’s health, safety and security management plan.
• Provides SH&E expertise and ensures project compliance with Corporate SH&E requirements.
• Provides technical supervision of SH&E performance, qualifications and programs.
• Assist and participate in SH&E training
• Check safety requirements in the Method Statements and monitor the implementation during construction.
• Check proper maintenance, calibration and operation of all safety equipment.
• Check and ensure that all equipment has been tested by third parties as required and all operators have the proper permits.
• Check the site security, fire, first aid and welfare facilities and ensure that all procedures appropriate to the Works are provided and properly maintained.
• Participate in the investigation of all accidents and dangerous occurrences.
• Set a high personal example of Health & Safety at all times.
• Monitor the application of all safety requirements by Parsons Construction team and report to the HSE Manager any deficiency for corrective action.
• Coordinate with the construction team on all activities undertaken by the Contractor concerning safety requirements especially for traffic management, deep excavation, movement of equipment, etc.
• Review the Contractor safety reports and produce Parsons Safety reports for the SRE review and approval.
• Coordinate all safety issues with Client/PMC and other stakeholders as directed by the QHSE and SRE.
Experience and Qualifications:
• Degree in Occupational Safety, and equivalent degree and relevant safety-related training courses with minimum ten (10) years of related work experience in the field of Health and Safety at major highway projects.
• Recognized HSE qualification certificate level from IOSH or NEBOSH.
• GCC experience is preferred.
• Large infrastructure construction supervision projects experience is required.
• Requires a thorough knowledge of health and safety regulations and reporting procedures, as well as good written and oral communication and interpersonal skills. In-depth understanding of safety management systems and procedures.
• Ability to work effectively within a multidisciplinary team.
• Strong assessment and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent ability to design and implement policies.
• High attention to detail and excellent organisation skills.
• Proactive must keep up to date with legal and professional changes associated with public health and occupational health and safety.
• Ability to work independently with minimal direction or oversight.
About the Company
Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, planning, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security.
Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Officer - HSE
Oryx Engineering Solutions