Job description / Role
Primary Purpose of the Position:
• To provide with full responsibility and accountability, a technical service to CLIENT, in all areas of civil and structural works, during definition and execution stages ensuring that designs are in compliance with the latest Codes, Standards, National and CLIENT requirements and procedures.
• Liaise with Project Engineers, other Discipline Engineers and End-Users, in order to develop cost effective and fit for purpose design solutions, to fit CLIENT requirements.
• Contribute toward updating discipline Engineering Codes, Standards, Specifications and Philosophies.
• Carryout the duties and responsibilities for all areas of work covered in civil / structural engineering.
• These include, but are not necessarily limited to, land surveying, geo-technical and site investigation, roads, residential and healthcare buildings, water storage and distribution, drainage systems, retaining walls.
• In certain cases prepare basic architectural layouts.
• Evaluate requests and recommend appropriate solutions and propose changes as necessary.
• Gather, research and analyze pertinent data and information and prepare recommendations with supporting technical data.
• Prepare specifications and equipment data sheets.
• Provide projects with technical content of project development and executive plans, including defining design and construction criteria and procurement strategies for critical items.
• Assist project engineer to expand and develop building program within budgetary constraints.
• Prepare the Basis for Design (BFD), select essential standards for use, identify design throughput, policy, specifications, technical risks, facility safeguarding, safety and health requirements and infrastructure requirements.
• Prepare designs in consultation with other Discipline Engineers, as appropriate.
• Visit work sites to establish existing conditions.
• Review applicability of existing drawings, Standards and Specifications and recommend appropriate changes.
• Where appropriate, carryout basic surveying work sufficient to meet the design needs or prepares a scope of work for a third party to carry out the survey.
• Contribute to the development of cost estimates.
• Prepare and I or review conceptual designs, schematic designs and detailed designs for building / facilities and infrastructure work, based on the approved
Scope of Works:
• Prepare design briefs for assigned designer / draughts men.
• Review and approve their work.
• Develop Scope of Work (SOW), Specifications and design criteria for building facilities, infrastructure projects, for his functional area of work for inclusion in tenders for engineering consultancy and I or construction.
• Provide technical input to Material Requisitions (MRs).
• Review technical aspects of bids from consulting engineering companies and construction contractors, for his functional area of work.
• Support projects in identifying and assessing capability resources and technical strengths of consulting engineers, contractors and vendors, in the evaluation of technical bids and takes part in the Evaluation Committee meetings.
• Review / approve detailed design specifications and drawings, submitted by Design consultants and Contractors.
• Provide technical support to Projects on design matters during detailed engineering, procurement, fabrication, testing, installation and commissioning stages of projects, which often involves site visits. Review and comment on precommissioning and start-up procedures and Operating and Maintenance manuals, appropriate to his functional area of work. Review material submittals referred from Projects.
• Keep abreast of current technology and state"-of-the-art equipment and activities, by reading various trade journals, publications, by meeting Vendor
• Representatives and attending trade functions. Keep -abreast of current regulations of Local and National authorities.
• Participate in technology development reviews to disseminate latest relevant technologies and technical reviews, at key stages of Project execution and of Project definition, if necessary.
• Prepare and present technical papers to Line I Senior Management from time to time to promote designs and/or strategies.
• Check the adequacy of designs produced by others, to ensure fitness for purpose and technical quality, in terms of providing safe environmentally acceptable facilities, in compliance with. codes, standards, principles, practices and specifications.
• Verify that the building or facilities being--designed are of adequate dimensions to house all the equipment to be installed therein.
• Support projects with advice- on technical matters during construction, including construction safety and design and construction of temporary facilities.
• Attend progress meetings, if required.
• Inspect contractor, consulting engineer and vendor premises and witness Factory / Site Acceptance Tests, as required.
• Perform other related duties and assignments as directed.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering.
• Professional membership of a recognized international institute association organization is desirable.
• Chartered engineering status is preferred.
• Minimum 12 years' experience in the design of large building and civil infrastructure projects.
• Must have a sound understanding of civil I structural design works commonly practiced in design of buildings, and be experience in review and preparation of concept, preliminary and detail design for building and infrastructure works.
• Experience in inter-disciplinary coordination responsibilities.
• Have excellent planning, decision making, problem solving and organizational skills.
• Must have thorough knowledge of industry international standards, and ability to interpret for specific application within sphere of relevant disciplines.
• Communication & negotiating skills as well as an ability to work in a multicultural team environment must be well developed and proven.
• Operates within the framework of established CLIENT policies and departmental procedures, guided- by Engineering codes, practices and philosophies.
• Choice of a particular solution or design is left to the incumbent.
• Evaluate/and provide solutions for particular, critical technical issues.
• Review and recommend resolution of particularly complex and non-routine problems, or provide viable alternatives. Identify commercial risks and anticipated problem-to projects, and propose mitigating solutions and actions.
• Review and critically assess a range' of 6ptions for-a given problem, and recommend one acceptable technical solution from a range of options.
About the Company
Qatar Project Management (QPM) is an independent subsidiary of Barwa Real Estate Development Company that provides expertise in Project Management, Design Management, Construction Management, and Contract Administration together with other associated Project Management functions. Established in 2008, QPM is centralized platform for provision of Project Management services to Barwa and Qatari Diar as well as local and international markets. QPM provides these services through an in-house team of highly-skilled, motivated, and qualified professionals supported by state-of-the-art information technology and highly-effective Project Management systems.