Job description / Role
Reports to: Head of Engineering - Marine
Provides the technical & technological problem-solving ability of design engineering and planning abilities in order to input to the operational performance of complex Marine mechanical and piping engineering Projects in close coordination with commercial (estimating), production (workshops) and operations (Project management & Planning) departments.
Leads a team of Engineers to develop, complete and check piping systems in conformance with contract work scope, statutory & code requirements, IMS procedures, design parameters, site survey input, P&ID, stress inputs and vendor data, 3D Modeling.
• Provides technical and critical business inputs to the design engineering process in the phases such as problem definition, conceptual design, preliminary design, detailed design, and design communication.
• Aware of latest industry practice for piping systems for ships and applies this to projects as value creating technical input.
• Develop Machinery arrangement plans for different machinery spaces on Rigs, Ships like Engine room, Pump rooms, Switchboard rooms, Machinery decks, helideck as per client Requirement, Class & statutory rules, & Vendor Drawings.
• Review contract technical documents & develop work scope.
• Prepare technical Clarifications, assign work to Engineers, designers.
• Develop design Plan for Piping & mechanical system scope.
• Prepare list of design deliverables in line with the scope of work.
• Prepare schedule for detailed Engineering based on the construction schedule.
• Develop technical specifications & RFQ for various static & rotating equipment’s equipment like, Air Compressors, Pumps, water makers, heat exchangers, pressure vessels, Purifiers, Anchor winches, HVAC, Foam systems, Water Heaters, etc. for Procurement & Bidding purposes in accordance with various design requirements contract technical specifications, relevant Industry and statutory codes.
• Establish calculations for mechanical & Piping systems Compressed air, HVAC, seawater, Ballast, Bilge, fire main, Potable water, Engine cooling, Exhaust system, vent & sound, emergency bilge, Hydraulic piping system, sanitary & deck drain system etc. to ensure department IMS procedures are followed for design development & control
• Good experience in latest 3D model software like CADMATIC, NAVIS Works for 3D Modeling of piping routing, equipment’s, and support design and isometric and 2D drawings extraction.
• 3D modeling of piping system from laser scan point clouds
• Knowledge of model review in 30%, 60%, and 90% phases of projects.
• Knowledge and experience in design and 3D modeling of BWTS projects, exhaust scrubber systems.
• Good experience of SPOOLGEN software for the preparation of the spool’s fabrication drawing’s.
Accountabilities - 2
• Strong knowledge of materials properties for piping systems components like, pipe, fittings, valves and piping special parts etc. to review the vendor quotes and prepare the technical clarifications.
• Conduct site survey & prepare the survey report, bidding MTO’s for pricing, pipe routing proposals for work scopes by keeping in mind all the obstructions of existing piping, structures and equipment’s.
• Scope study and develop estimation and feasibility reports for BWT (Ballast Water Treatment) system installation, scrubber system.
• Review the owner & class comments.
• Resolve site issues & give solutions to production.
• Responsible for training & development of the piping & mechanical Engineering team
• Identify and create Potential change orders as per technical scope of work.
• Advise head of Marine on technical issues to ensure Class compliance & owner Comments.
• Ensuring that Engineering deliverables are completed as per the Agreed project schedule & With acceptable Quality.
• Proper delegation of work to the Piping designer & ensuring the Engineering KPIs for Piping Engineering department is achieved.
• Guiding the Piping designers to develop drawings in accordance with the contract specifications
• Estimate the Manhours Piping Engineering during the Bidding stage of the project.
• Monitor the manhours spent by the electrical designers in development of Piping drawings upon award of project.
• Evaluate the Comments from Client and identify potential Change orders
• Ensure that drawings are issued in line with the safety requirements of the yard & the Classification rules.
• Ensures that design meets All the statutory code requirements specified in the contract.
• Displays safe behaviour on site and in the office
• Ensures Drawings & design are produced to meet the Contract technical specs & Class rules.
• Works along with the designer to produce drawings to meet the Department KPIs for quality.
• Minimum Bachelor of Engineering in mechanical engineering or equivalent
• At least 7 years of relevant experience in Marine design, preferably in shipyard, with at least 5 years of core experience in ACAD. Knowledge of Piping 3D modelling software, Pressure vessel design software is preferred.
• Must be familiar with piping specifications of Marine & Offshore piping design, technical practices, design instructions, plot plans, flow diagrams, pipe support design
• Computer Literacy - MS Office, AutoCAD, SPOOLGEN, CADMATIC/AutoCAD Plant/Marine 3D/NAVIS WORKS, Aveva E3D/CAD Works.
• Laser scan Point clouds to 3D Model.
• Leadership Skills
• Negotiation skills
• Performance Appraisal skills
• Presentation skills
• Project management skills
• Knowledge of shipyard operations
• Coaching and Mentoring skills
• Piping design software
• Time management skills
• Jack Up Drilling Rigs New Build, Repair and conversion
• LPG/LNG design and installation
• Knowledge of piping and mechanical systems for ships, rigs & other marine vessels
• Knowledge of all class rules for various marine piping & drilling systems for ships & MODU
• Knowledge of marine and drilling equipment functions, design limitations and applications for shipd, jack up rigs.
• Drilling rigs new build, repair, & conversion
• Knowledge of marine & offshore equipment selection & design
• Knowledge of BWTS and scrubber system
• 3D modeling of piping for BWTS, Exhaust scrubber system projects
• Knowledge on ASME B 31.3, ASME B 16. ASTM, and API standards & codes and piping material mechanical and chemical properties
• Knowledge of quality management systems such as ISO 9001-2015
About the Company
Qatar Gas Transport Company Ltd. (known as Nakilat, which means carriers in Arabic) is a Qatari-listed shipping company established by the State of Qatar to own, operate and manage LNG vessels and to provide shipping and marine-related services to a range of participants within the Qatari hydrocarbon sector. Nakilat is an integral component of the supply chain of some of the largest, most advanced energy projects in the world undertaken by Qatar Petroleum, Qatargas, RasGas and their joint venture partners for the State of Qatar.
Nakilat was established in 2004 and is a joint stock company owned 50% by its founding shareholders and 50% by the public. Nakilat owns 54 LNG vessels, making it the largest LNG ship owner in the world. Our fleet of vessels transport LNG produced from Qatars North Field, the worlds largest non-associated gas field with approximately 15% of the worlds total proven reserves to global markets. These vessels, ordered from Korean shipyards, incorporate the latest technology for safe, reliable and cost-effective transportation of LNG.