Job description / Role
Primary Purpose of the Position
Coordinate and collaborate with consultant and contractor submittal reviews and ensure that all designs are in compliance with the latest statutory local & international codes and standards, CLIENT policies and procedures while adhering to CLIENT technical and financial requirements. Liaise with project engineers, other discipline engineers, construction site engineers and end-users, in order to review consultant works for cost effective and fit for purpose design solutions in line with CLIENT guidelines. This position involves working on a wide range of differing situations and environments, across all CLIENT operational areas within State of Qatar.
• Generally carryout duties and responsibilities for all aspects of work covered under buildings and infrastructure ranging from project definition, contract, design, specification, construction and handover stages.
These include, but are not limited to the following major categories:
• High voltage (HV), Mediun1 Voltage (M\I), and Low Voltage (LV) distribution
• Lighting & power
• Hazardous area installations
• Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) installation
• Road and area lighting
• Building Management System (BMS), and energy conservation
More specific functions are listed, but not limited to, hereafter
• Assist in preparing the Basis for Design (BFD), select essential standards for use, identify design throughput, policy, specifications, technical risks, facility safeguarding, safety and health requirements and infrastructure requirements.
• Support Electrical Manager in assisting end user and project engineer to expand and develop space / building program, within budget constraints, related to all electrical aspects of buildings and infrastructure.
• Prepare I review designs in consultation with other discipline engineers, as appropriate.
• Review and comment on specifications and equipment data sheets.
• Recommend appropriate solutions and propose changes as' necessary; gather research and analyses pertinent data and information and prepare recommendations with supporting technical data.
• Aid Electrical Manager in reviewing all stages of design works for building and infrastructure work, based on the approved scope of work.
• Review / endorse detailed design specifications and drawings, submitted by contractors and consulting engineers and suppliers.
• Provide projects with technical content of project development and execution plans, including defining design and construction criteria and procurement strategies for critical items.
• Assist and develop Scope of Work (SOW), Specifications and design criteria for buildings I facilities, infrastructure for his functional area of work, to be included in tenders for engineering consultancy and / or construction.
• Visit work sites to establish existing conditions. Review applicability of existing drawings, Standards and Specifications and recommends appropriate changes.
• Contribute to the development of cost estimates.
• Provide technical support to projects on design matters during detailed engineering, procurement, fabrication, testing, installation and commissioning stages of projects, which often involves site visits.
• Review and comment on precommissioning, commissioning and start-up procedures and Operating and
• Maintenance manuals, appropriate to his functional area of work. Review material submittals referred from Projects.
• Contribute to the verification of building Completion, Commissioning and handover stages.
• Contribute toward updating and enhancing discipline engineering codes, standards, specifications, procedures, strategies and philosophies.
• Keep up-to-date with regulations of Local and National authorities.
• Participate in technology development -reviews to disseminate latest relevant technologies and technical reviews, at key stages of Project execution and of project definition, if necessary.
• Deputize for Electrical Manager, when required.
• Identify, for the Electrical Manager, the discipline engineering time & resource requirements for all current and planned design project assigned to him and update this information as necessary.
• Support projects with advice on technical matters during construction, including construction safety and design and construction of temporary facilities.
• Attend progress meetings, if required, e- Inspect contractor, consulting engineer and vendor premises and witnesses factory I site acceptance tests, as required.
• Participate as a member, in Health, Safety and Environment team.
• Ability to work as part of a team in a project environment.
• Perform other related duties and assignments as directed.
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering.
• Professional membership of a relevant recognized international institute association I organization is desirable.
• Chartered engineering status is preferred.
• Minimum of 12 years broad based experience in large building and infrastructure projects, covering the spectrum of design, installation, testing and commissioning of mechanical systems, particularly in the Middle East.
• Area of expertise should encompass High Voltage HV/MV/LV distribution, lighting and power, hazardous area installations, UPS installation, road and area lighting, lightening protection, building management and energy conservation, etc.
• Ability to complete site surveys for existing equipment and undertake assessment work of existing equipment for re-vamp and debottlenecking.
• Have excellent planning, decision making, problem solving and organizational skills.
• Must have thorough knowledge of industry international standards, and ability to interpret for specific application within sphere of relevant disciplines.
• Communication & negotiating skills as well as an ability to -work in a multicultural team environment must be well developed and proven Independence.
• Operates within the framework of established CLIENT policies and departmental procedures, guided by Engineering codes, practices and philosophies.
• Choice of a particular solution or design is left to the incumbent.
• Evaluate and provide solutions for particular, critical technical issues.
• Review and Recommend resolution of particularly- complex and non-routine problems, or provide viable alternatives.
• Identify commercial risks and anticipated problem to projects, and propose mitigating solutions and actions.
• Review and critically assess a range of options for a given problem, and recommend one acceptable technical solution from a range-of options.
About the Company
Qatar Project Management (QPM) is an independent subsidiary of Barwa Real Estate Development Company that provides expertise in Project Management, Design Management, Construction Management, and Contract Administration together with other associated Project Management functions. Established in 2008, QPM is centralized platform for provision of Project Management services to Barwa and Qatari Diar as well as local and international markets. QPM provides these services through an in-house team of highly-skilled, motivated, and qualified professionals supported by state-of-the-art information technology and highly-effective Project Management systems.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Electrical Site Engineer
A Leading Engineering and Construction Company in Qatar
Site Electrical Engineer
Dara Engineering Consultants
Senior Electrical Engineer
Ignite Search & Selection
Electrical Engineer - Aviation