Job description / Role
- Under the supervision of the Estimation Manager, the Estimation Engineer is responsible for the preparation of tenders and evaluating bid specifications and drawings. He has to predict the cost of future construction projects, analyzes and compiles data on each factor that may have an influence on costs.
- Develop a full understanding of company estimating policies and procedures, and company standards and comply with these at all times.
- Work on estimate types including: conceptual, negotiated, hard bid; and from varying levels of design documents from conceptual only to highly detailed.
- Successfully utilize estimating systems and software for the completion of estimates (e.g. Timberline, On-Screen Takeoff, Candy).
- Coordinate estimating efforts with other members of the company’s estimating staff and operations staff as required.
- Receives tenders and prepares the bid package.
- Reviews and assesses tenders ensuring all tender documents are received and correct.
- Assesses the type of tender and closing date of tender to determinate prioritization of all tenders.
- Studies work as mentioned in the tendering document by carefully reading plans in conjunction with specifications, BOQ and tender and contractual requirements for a complete understanding of the Project scope.
- Review and prepare the Tender brief which provide the summary information of the Tender.
- Prepare the preliminary estimate for the project using available historical data and including Direct and Indirect cost.
- Identify the subcontractors and suppliers work and lead the team members for the preparation of Request for Quotation (FRQ) documents.
- Check and verify the quantity take-off prepared by the Junior Estimation Engineer for tender verification.
- Reviews tender documents, proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and provide feedback to the Estimation Manager.
- List the discrepancies and ambiguities in the Tender document and prepare the list of clarifications needed in collaboration with the Estimation Manager.
- Check all Calculations of various statistical data, quantity take off, material price lists, labor costs/man-hour, equipment, etc.
- Supervise and follow-up the Preparation and processing of the sub-contracting packages.
- Check all cost estimates prepared for each trade taking into consideration in addition to the Project requirements, Time, Quality, and efficient use of Material and Labor.
- Prepare the responses to the subcontractors and suppliers queries.
- Work together with the team members to establish the technical and commercial comparisons for the subcontract works based on the received quotations.
- Analyze the prices of material, labor productivity and related equipment.
- Prepare the Item break and Top sheet based on the detailed estimate conducted.
- Prepare the indirect cost table taking into consideration all matters that will affect the execution, including but not limited to, site logistics, unforeseen and existing conditions and all forecasted constructability issues.
- Prepare the Direct Cost after checking all cost estimates for each trade taking into consideration in addition to the Project requirements, Time, Quality, and efficient use of Material and Labor.
- Developing and maintaining productive Sub-contractor relationship
- Prepares the list of value engineering in order to minimize the cost without affecting the Employer’s perceived quality and performance to be presented to the Estimation Manager
- Prepares and compiles all Potential Risks anticipated at tender stage to be presented in a table to the Estimation Manager
- Quality proposal writing and presentations to describe the proposed solution and respond to requirements.
- Provide written text to illustrate the understanding of the requirements and the plan designed to achieve the owner’s goals.
- Develop innovative suggestions and methods for completing projects to enhance project’s effectiveness and overall financial benefits to all parties.
- Submits the Tender Summary Report for the project which includes the summary of all costs direct and indirect, value Engineering and possible perceived reductions, and Summary of Potential Risks.
- Coordinate closely with the Tender Technical Team to prepare and finalize on time the technical submission.
- Organize and be responsible for Compiling the tender documents including the letter of offer, tender schedules, program and other items required by the tender.
- Submits complete tender on time
- Maintains files of working documents as back up for estimate figures, including current and accurate information on prices from suppliers and subcontractors through price list or direct contact.
- Successful turnover and continued involvement with other members of the estimating staff as well as the company’s operations staff.
- Work with minimal direction, manage time to meet tight project schedule deadlines and successfully complete multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Organize Fast and accurate ways to do quantity take off
- Predict Accurate Cost Calculation
- Proactive initiative to reduce cost
- Provide adequate Value Engineering proposals.
- Capacity to predict unforeseen Risks at Tender stage.
- Maintain good relationship with Sub-contractors and Suppliers.
- Organize the submission of a complete and accurate tender offer on time.
- Partnering with Junior Estimation Engineers Quantity Surveyors of his team and Estimation Manager.
- BS degree a field such as: Construction Management or Civil Engineering.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience including a combination of estimating; and project engineering and/or project supervision/management.
- Knowledgeable of the local market (at least 3 years Qatar experience)
- Professional Skills, in cost estimating, RFQ preparation, scheduling, contract negotiations, and presentations.
- Candidates will be technology literate and proficient in the Microsoft environment (Excel, Word, Outlook) and estimating software platforms especially Candy, drawing software AutoCAD and Revit is considered as a plus.
- Experience with Timberline and/or On-Screen Takeoff estimating software is a plus.
- Proposal writing experience is also a plus.
- Communicates effectively in both oral and written English general and technical language, both in interpreting requirements and providing documents and reports.
- The position may require significant interaction with other functional areas within the company, various types and levels of employees, and third parties; and should therefore possess good interpersonal and customer service skills.
About the Company
Engage was formed in 2007 in response to frustrations at the level of service delivery offered by traditional large recruitment agencies working in the construction market. With a belief in providing a truly knowledgeable, precise and quality driven service, Engage strives to offer a recruitment experience to both employers and candidates that is unrivalled in the marketplace.
We provide precision staffing solutions, including contingency and executive search, within the construction and commercial marketplaces. Our enduring relationships with market leading organisations in the region and overseas means we have access to the best candidates and the best vacancies.
Gulf Engineering & Industrial Consultancy (GEIC)
Senior Cost Control Engineer - EPC/Refinery Construction
Senior Quantity Surveyor
Opus Recruit Middle East
A Large Hypermarket Chain In Qatar