Job description / Role
Primary Purpose of the Position:
• To provide with full responsibility and accountability, interior design expertise and technical support on all new and renovation projects, in all areas of interior finishes applicable to healthcare facilities, during definition and execution stages, ensuring that designs are in compliance with the latest Codes, Standards, National and CLIENT requirements and procedures.
• Liaise with Project Engineers, other Discipline Engineers and End-Users, in order to develop cost effective and fit for purpose design solutions, to fit CLIENT requirements.
• Contribute toward updating interior design Codes, Standards, Specifications and Philosophies.
• Provides interior design support and assistance to the Director in maintaining and developing all corporate facilities: design concept preparation, design research,
• Preparing design presentations, specification, cost estimates, and all related documentation.
• Attend meetings with hospital medical/nursing - administrative staff / project consultants for all design works as appropriate and strive to gain understanding of CLIENT/Healthcare best practice, infection control policies, fire and safety codes, and provision of economical and aesthetic designs.
• Works closely with other interior design and design management team members to ensure smooth coordination and achievements of excellence in all aspects of the work implementation.
• Assists in the preparation of tender documents for interior design work and participate in the evaluation of tenders.
• Monitors all associated interior design work and resolve obstacles to ensure smooth implementation.
• Carryout regular inspections on site to ensure adequate quality control is maintained.
• Assists in the preparation of annual budget for facilities and capital improvement projects.
• Provide projects with technical content of project development and executive plans, including defining design and construction criteria and procurement strategies for critical items.
• Assist project engineer to expand and develop building program within budgetary constraints.
• Prepare the Basis for Design (BFD), select essential standards for use, identify design throughput, policy, specifications, technical risks, facility safeguarding, safety and health requirements and infrastructure requirements.
• Prepare designs in consultation with other Discipline Engineers, as appropriate.
• Visit work sites to establish existing conditions.
• Review applicability of existing drawings, Standards and Specifications and recommend appropriate changes.
• Where appropriate, carryout basic surveying '-''lark sufficient to meet the design needs or prepares a scope of work for a third party to carry -out the survey.
• Contribute to the development of cost estimates.
• Prepare and I or review conceptual designs, schematic designs and detailed designs for building I facilities, based on the approved Scope of Works.
• Prepare design briefs for assigned designer I draughts men.
• Review and approve their work.
• Develop Scope of Work (SOW), Specifications and design criteria for building facilities projects, for his functional area of work for inclusion in tenders for engineering consultancy and I or construction.
• Review technical aspects of bids from consulting engineering companies and construction contractors, for his functional area of work.
• Support projects in identifying and assessing capability resources and technic strengths of consulting engineers, contractors and vendors, in the evaluation of technical bids and takes part in the Evaluation Committee meetings.}
• Review / approve detailed design specifications and drawing submitted by Design consultants and Contractors.
• Provide technical support to Projects on design matters during detailed engineering, procurement, fabrication, testing, installation and commissioning stages of projects, which often involves site visits.
• Review and comment on precommissioning and start-up procedures and Operating and Maintenance manuals, appropriate to his functional area of work.
• Review material submittals referred from Projects.
• Keep abreast of current technology and state-of-the-art equipment and activities, by reading various trade journals, publications, by ll1eeting Vendor
• Representatives and attending trade functions.
• Keep abreast of current regulations of Local and National authorities.
• Participate in technology development reviews to disseminate latest relevant technologies and technical reviews, at key stages of Project & execution and of Project definition, if necessary.
• Prepare and present technical papers to Line / Senior Management from time to time to promote designs and/or strategies.
• Check the adequacy of designs produced by others, to ensure fitness for purpose and technical quality, in terms of providing safe environmentally acceptable facilities, in compliance with codes, standards, principles, practices and specifications. Verify that the building or facilities being designed are of adequate dimensions to house all the equipment to be installed therein.
• Support projects with advice on technical matters during construction, including construction safety and design and construction of temporary facilities.
• Attend progress meetings, if required.
• Inspect contractor, consulting engineer and vendor premises and witness Factory
• Site Acceptance Tests, as required.
• Assist in organizing and developing the Interior Design Resource Library.
• Produce accurate furniture specifications and proposal requests.
• Perform other related duties and assignments as directed.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor Degree in Interior Design or Architecture.
• Professional membership of a recognized international institute / association / organization is desirable.
• Minimum 12 years' experience in the interior design for healthcare facilities.
• Experience in CAD production.
• Experience in production of quality sketch-up, -and/or 3D graphic drawing accurately and proficiently.
• Have excellent planning, decision making, problem solving and organization skills.
• Must have thorough knowledge of industry / international standards, and ability to
• Interpret for specific application within sphere of relevant disciplines.
• Excellent presentation and communication skills .as well as an ability to work in a multicultural team environment must be well developed and proven.
• Ability to handle multi-projects simultaneously, and to meet target completion.
• Ability to interact with other professionals, and develop good working relationships with user groups.
• Ability to make sound decision~ in a manner consistent with the essential job·functions.
• Ability to create drawings and write specifications, prepare cost estimates and request for proposals for interior design works.
• Ability to compose clear and accurate reports, communicate with others and to assimilate and understand information in a manner consistent with the essential
• Operates within the framework of established CLIENT policies and departmental procedures, guided by Engineering codes, practices and philosophies.
• Choice of a particular solution or design is left to the incumbent with considerable initiative and independent action.
• Evaluate and provide solutions for particular, critical technical issues.
• Review and recommend resolution of particularly complex and non-routine problems, or provide viable alternatives.
• Identify risks and anticipated problem to projects, and propose mitigating solutions and actions.
• Review and critically assess a range of options for a given problem, and recommend one acceptable technical solution from a range of options.
About the Company
Qatar Project Management (QPM) is an independent subsidiary of Barwa Real Estate Development Company that provides expertise in Project Management, Design Management, Construction Management, and Contract Administration together with other associated Project Management functions. Established in 2008, QPM is centralized platform for provision of Project Management services to Barwa and Qatari Diar as well as local and international markets. QPM provides these services through an in-house team of highly-skilled, motivated, and qualified professionals supported by state-of-the-art information technology and highly-effective Project Management systems.