Job description / Role
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• The Senior Landscape Architect plans, creates and manages Landscape Architectural design that is well considered, safe, functional, technically accurate and as creative as possible with respect to client’s briefs, without compromising on the laws and regulations of that given area where the construction will be undertaken.
• Demonstrates advanced technical knowledge in Landscape Architectural discipline and broad knowledge of other design disciplines (Urban Planning / Architectural / Engineering).
• Capable of independent evaluation, selection, application, adaptation and modification of standard Landscape Architectural techniques, procedures, and criteria to achieve high level of design output.
• Develops design solutions, high quality presentation drawings, and technical packages from concept design, through design development, final design to tender and contract documentation. Attends site to assist with supervision of installation of the contract works.
• Performs the full range of professional Landscape Architectural activities with a high degree of technical judgment, imagination and resourcefulness.
• Reports status of assigned projects and all circumstances that could effect projects or clients to senior management.
• Develops well resolved, innovative, and creative conceptual design of the Landscape Architectural elements of an assigned project.
• Plans, coordinates and undertakes the presentation of conceptual design.
• Plans, schedules, conduct, undertake and coordinate detailed phases of the Landscape Architectural elements of an assigned project.
• This includes but not limited to the preparation of original designs, layouts, details, drawings and specifications.
• Coordinates Landscape Architectural efforts in assigned areas with specialty groups, engineering disciplines, the client, vendors, contractors, construction and other divisional groups.
• Ensures effective communication and coordination on assigned projects between all disciplines, stakeholders and the client or client’s representative.
• Maintains regular contact with all assigned project clients, strives to develop best possible working relationship and client satisfaction.
• Analyzes and reports on the suitability of materials, techniques and/or difficult coordination requirements.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the application of Landscape Architecture / Engineering to ensure constructability and economic rationalism is applied to construction methods and materials.
• Makes site inspections to assigned projects independently, assists with material approvals and construction approvals to ensure highest level of finish is achieved.
• Provides technical direction and on-the-job training of assigned personnel, CAD technicians and 3D animators and provides input for their performance evaluation.
• Keep abreast of industry specific technological, environmental and social developments.
• Skill in conveying design concept via hand drawn sketches and drawings.
• Skill in analyzing and identifying Landscape Architectural elements in designs for conformance with applicable standards, policies, codes, cost efficiency and program objectives for compliance with design requirements and acceptable architectural practice.
• Skill in maintaining effective working relationship with co-workers, management, clients & client representatives, stakeholders and agencies.
• Skill in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
• Skill in effectively managing subordinate staff, delegating tasks and authority.
• Skill in reading and evaluating design drawings, technical reports and data.
• Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software applications.
• Skill in general office organization and operation, including cataloguing, library development, and sourcing for materials.
• Performs other duties as assigned or required.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Degree in Landscape Architecture with minimum 10 years experience with landscaping design for roadway, single site design (including retail, commercial, restaurant, office, institutional, etc.) and other civil projects.
• Professional registration is preferred at this level.
• Ideal candidate should have good design and presentation skills, creative ability, imagination and enthusiasm, good observation skills, an eye for details, strong ability to project manage and track all components of a project as related to Landscape and beyond.
• Excellent communication skills - ability to communicate in graphic, verbal and written form. Team player (working with those at various organizational levels).
• Take direction well and implement changes as necessary.
• Ability to do conceptual plans and presentations.
• Ability to work in a fast paced dynamic environment.
• Strong desire to be the best and produce the best work.
• Requires proficiency in the application of landscape architectural design standards, practices, techniques, and concepts.
• Proficiency in CAD and other graphic software packages, including Adobe Creative Suite, typically associated with landscape architectural design is also required.
• The ability to make presentations to clients and others is required.
• Proficient in computer programs – AutoCAD, MicroStation, Adobe PhotoShop (is a plus), Sketch-Up, 3D Studio Max (is a plus), PowerPoint, Indesign (is a plus)
About the Company
Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, planning, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security.
Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide.