Job description / Role
Primary Purpose of the Position
• To provide with full responsibility and accountability, a technical service to CLIENT, in all areas of building services work, during definition and execution stages, ensuring that designs are in compliance with the latest Codes, Standards, National and company requirements and procedures.
• Liaise with Project Engineers, other Discipline Engineers and End-Users, in order to develop cost effective and fit for purpose design solutions, to fit Company requirements.
• Contribute toward updating discipline Engineering Codes, Standards, Specifications and Philosophies.
• Carryout the duties and responsibilities for all areas of work covered in building services and infrastructures projects.
• These include but are not necessarily limited to, hazardous-area installations, lightning protection, building management and energy conservation, HVAC, water storage and distribution, drainage systems, fire protection using conventional analogue and high sensitivity type detectors, firefighting systems using water, C02 and foam, cathodic protection etc.
• Recommend appropriate solutions and propose changes as necessary; gathers, researches and analyses pertinent data and information and prepares recommendations with supporting technical data.
• Prepare specifications and equipment data sheets.
• Contribute to the verification of building Completion and commissioning stages.
• Provide Projects with technical content of Project Development and Execution Plans, including defining-design and construction criteria and procurement strategies for critical items.
• Assist End User and Project Engineer to expand and develop Space/ Building Program, within budget constraints.
• Prepare the Basis_-- for Design (BFD), selects essential standards for use, identifies design throughput, policy, specifications, technical risks, facility safeguarding, safety and health requirements and infrastructure requirements.
• Prepares designs in consultation with other Discipline Engineers, as appropriate.
• Visit work sites to establish existing conditions.
• Review applicability of existing drawings, Standards and Specifications and recommends appropriate changes.
• Contribute to the development of cost estimates.
• Review all stage of design works for building and infrastructure work, based on the approved scope of work.
• Develop Scope of Work (SOW), Specifications and design criteria for Building / facilities, infrastructure for his functional area of work, to be included in tenders for Engineering Consultancy and/or Construction. Provide technical input to Material Requisitions (MRs).
• Review technical aspects of bids from Consulting Engineering Companies and Construction Contractors, for his functional area of work.
• Support Projects in identifying and assessing capability resources and technical strengths of
• Consulting Engineers, Contractors and Vendors, in the evaluation of technical bids and take part in Evaluation Committee meetings.
• Review I approve detailed design specifications and drawings, submitted by Contractors and Consulting Engineers and suppliers.
• Provide technical support to Projects on design matters during detailed engineering, procurement, fabrication, testing, installation and commissioning stages of projects, which often involves site visits.
• Review and comment on precommissioning, commissioning and start-up procedures and Operating and
• Maintenance manuals, appropriate to his functional area of work. Review material submittals referred from Projects.
• Contribute to the updating of discipline Engineering Standards, Specifications and Corporate Philosophies.
• Appropriate to his background; participate in the training and development of Qatari Engineers.
• Keep abreast of current technology and state-of-the-art equipment and activities by reading various trade journals, publications, by meeting Vendor
Representatives and attending trade functions
• Keep abreast of current regulations of Local and National authorities.
• Participate in technology development reviews to disseminate latest relevant technologies.
• Prepare and presents technical papers to Line & Senior Management from time to time to promote designs and/or strategies.
• Check the adequacy of designs produced by others, to ensure fitness for purpose and technical quality, in terms of providing safe environmentally acceptable facilities, in compliance with the Codes, Standards, Principles, Practices and- Specifications.
• Verify that the building or facilities being designed are of adequate dimensions to house all the equipment to be installed therein.
• Support Projects with advice on technical matters during construction, including construction safety and design and construction of temporary facilities. Attend progress meetings, if required.
• Inspect Contractor, Consulting Engineer and Vendor premises and witnesses Factory/Site Acceptance Tests, required.
• Participate as a member of Health, Safety and Environment review team.
• Perform other related duties and assignments as directed.
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Building Services Engineering.
• Professional membership of a recognized international institute I association / organization is desirable.
• Chartered engineering status is preferred.
• Minimum of 12 years’ broad experience in large building and infrastructure projects, covering the spectrum of design, installation, testing and commissioning of building services systems, particularly in the Middle East.
• Area of expertise should encompass HVAC, fire protection, automatic controls, infrastructure works, plumbing, drainage, infrastructure Works, fire alarms, elevator, etc.
• Have excellent planning, decision making, problem solving and organizational skills.
• Must have thorough knowledge of industry international standards, and ability to interpret for specific application within sphere of relevant disciplines.
• Communication & negotiating skills as well as an ability to work in a multicultural team environment must be well developed and proven.
• Operates within the framework of established company policies and departmental procedures, guided by Engineering codes, practices and philosophies.
• Choice of a particular solution or design is left to the incumbent. Work accomplishments are not subject to third party design checks.
• Evaluate and provide solutions for particular, critical technical issues.
• Review and recommend resolution of particularly 90mplex and non-routine problems, or provide viable alternatives.
• Identify commercial risks and anticipated problem to projects, and propose mitigating solutions and actions.
• Review and critically assess a range of options for a given problem, and recommend one acceptable technical solution from a range of options.
About the Company
Qatar Project Management (QPM) is an independent subsidiary of Barwa Real Estate Development Company that provides expertise in Project Management, Design Management, Construction Management, and Contract Administration together with other associated Project Management functions. Established in 2008, QPM is centralized platform for provision of Project Management services to Barwa and Qatari Diar as well as local and international markets. QPM provides these services through an in-house team of highly-skilled, motivated, and qualified professionals supported by state-of-the-art information technology and highly-effective Project Management systems.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Senior Mechanical Engineer (UPDA Grade A,B or C)
Ignite Search & Selection
Mechanical Engineer - Piping, Pumping Stations etc
HVAC Engineer - Aviation
Site Inspector - Mechanical
Senior Mechanical Engineer