Job description / Role
Primary Purpose of the Position:
• Responsive to end-users' requirements and seeks to ensure that the design proposals balances end-users' requirements with improved patient experience.
• Provide with full responsibility and accountability technical support on all new and renovation projects, during definition and execution stages, ensuring that designs are in compliance with the latest Codes, Standards, National and CLIENT requirements and procedures.
• Liaise with Project Engineers, other Discipline Engineers and End-Users, in order to develop cost effective and fit for purpose design solutions, to fit CLIENT requirements.
• Contribute toward updating interior design Codes, Standards, Specifications and Philosophies.
• Provide architectural oversight to project team, construction contractors, and provide field clarification and input to contractors.
• Retain ownership of design and ensure that design proposals are not unduly influenced by end-users' options. Liaise with clients to develop architectural solutions.
• Develop feasibility studies and sketch concepts.
• Provide professional design services to improve clinical services and patient flows.
• Monitor work during construction for conformance with architectural plans and specifications.
• Review and approve submittals, change order requests and attend project closeout meetings and provide feedback upon project completion.
• Maintain appropriate project records and statistics for administration and regulatory purposes.
• Provide- projects with technical content of project development and executive plans, including defining design and construction criteria and procurement strategies for critical items.
• Assist project engineer to expand and develop building program within budgetary constraints.
• Prepare the Basis for Design (BFD), select essential standards for user identify design throughput, policy, specifications, technical risks, facility safeguarding, safety and health requirements and infrastructure requirements.
• Prepare designs in consultation with other Discipline Engineers, as appropriate.
• Visit work sites to establish existing conditions.
• Review applicability of existing drawings, Standards and Specifications and recommend appropriate changes.
• Where appropriate, carryout basic surveying work sufficient to meet the design needs or prepares a scope of work for a third party to carry out the survey.
• Contribute to the development of cost estimates.
• Prepare and / or review conceptual designs, schematic designs and detailed designs for building facilities, based on the approved Scope of Works.
• Prepare design briefs for assigned designer / draughts men. Review and approve their work.
• Develop Scope of Work (SOW), Specifications and design criteria for building facilities projects, for his functional area of work for inclusion in tenders for engineering consultancy and or construction.
• Review technical aspects of bids from consulting engineering companies and construction contractors, for his functional area of work.
• Support projects in identifying and assessing capability resources and technical strengths of consulting engineers, contractors and vendors, in the evaluation of technical bids and takes part in the Evaluation Committee meetings.
• Review -I approve detailed design specifications and drawings, submitted by Design consultants and Contractors.
• Keep abreast of current technology and state-of-the-art equipment and activities, by reading various trade journals, publications, by meeting Vendor
• Representatives and attending trade functions. Keep abreast of current regulations of Local and National authorities.
• Participate in technology development reviews to disseminate latest relevant technologies and technical reviews, at key stages of Project execution and of
• Project definition, if necessary.
• Prepare and present technical papers to Line / Senior Management from time to time to promote designs and/or strategies.
• Check the adequacy of designs produced by others, to ensure fitness for purpose and technical quality, in terms of providing safe / environmentally acceptable facilities, in compliance with codes, standards, principles, practices and specifications. Verify that the building or facilities being designed are of adequate dimensions to house all the equipment to be installed therein.
• Support projects with advice- on technical matters during "construction, including construction safety and design and construction of temporary facilities.
• Attend progress meetings, if required.
• Inspect contractor, consulting engineer and vendor premises and witness Factory
• Site Acceptance Tests, as required.
• Perform other related duties and assignments as directed.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor Degree in Architecture.
• Professional membership of a recognized international institute association organization is desirable.
• Minimum 12 years' experience in the design of large building projects
• Minimum 3 years in large health care sector.
• Must have a sound understanding of Architectural design works commonly practiced in design of buildings, and be experience in review and preparation of concept, preliminary and detail design for Building works.
• Experience in inter-disciplinary coordination responsibilities.
• Must have hands-on experience in MS Office/Projects, and AutoCAD.
About the Company
Qatar Project Management (QPM) is an independent subsidiary of Barwa Real Estate Development Company that provides expertise in Project Management, Design Management, Construction Management, and Contract Administration together with other associated Project Management functions. Established in 2008, QPM is centralized platform for provision of Project Management services to Barwa and Qatari Diar as well as local and international markets. QPM provides these services through an in-house team of highly-skilled, motivated, and qualified professionals supported by state-of-the-art information technology and highly-effective Project Management systems.