Job description / Role
51,000 people. 49 countries. Over 120 office locations.
We're not just engineers. We're a global team of data scientists, consultants, construction workers and innovators all working to create a better tomorrow. Every day, we help customers in energy, chemicals and resources get one step closer to solving our planet's toughest issues. Climate change. The energy transition. Digital transformation. And how we can deliver a more sustainable world.
Whatever your ambition, there's a path for you here. And there's no barrier to your potential career success.
Primary Objectives / Responsibilities
- Builds positive working relationships with external parties such as the customer, suppliers, and contractors.
- Supports proposals by developing the discipline execution strategy, estimating costs, writing proposal content, and presenting to customers.
- Will be called upon to lead all or part of the technical proposal.
- Planning of man hour budgets, schedules, manpower loadings and staffing requirements, by skill and experience, to satisfy project requirements and direction given by the Discipline Manager.
- Ensures the project work is covered for vacation and unplanned absences.
- Mentors/trains and supports the delivery of training.
- Assists in the employee performance review process.
- Facilitates coverage of activities when people leave the team.
- Encourages knowledge of and compliance with requirements and processes.
- Works to resolve inter-discipline, vendor, and customer issues.
- Ensures discipline technical work and team activities meet all health, safety, environmental, and security requirements
- Design and develop, as required, innovative technical approaches to the broader Safety & Risk engineering issues and contribute to continuous business improvement initiatives
- Ensures team member adherence to accepted engineering and design practices, regulatory requirements, and customer specifications.
- Contributes to the understanding of technical knowledge, legal requirements, and customer specifications whenever viable and lawful.
- Uses local/global standards to support technical excellence.
- Identifies software necessary to enable Safety & Risk discipline to function effectively.
Provide specialist technical support, supervision and advice to the discipline
and project teams; participate in peer reviews;
- Ensures recognised onshore & offshore engineering practices applicable to safety & risk design are adopted within the discipline.
- Technical direction, advice and control of the work.
- Ensuring technical integrity of the Safety & Risk deliverables through the implementation of checking and design review activities.
- Proactively seek an understanding of the safety hazards and risks associated with the asset lifecycle of the designed product, plant or structure.
- Hazard identification, risk assessment and quantification.
- HAZOP and HAZID leadership
- Review of Safety & Risk Studies:
- Participate in project execution strategy and planning.
- Knows the project and discipline scope/cost/time requirements, ensures the team to meets the expectations, and liaises with other disciplines to ensure project success.
- Encourages innovative solutions, technology advances, and methods to effectively deal with working out of sequence.
- Supports management of project change and progressing for the discipline and works with the Project Management Team to take corrective actions regarding any issues, staffing requirements, scope changes, progressing, or other events that could affect project completion and/or profitability.
- Collaborates with project team in review of project documentation such as proposals, estimates, budgets and schedules
- Leads weekly discipline meetings, reviews progress reports and required checking procedures.
- Initiate, manage and supervise engineering assignments on projects that meet project requirements on time and within budget.
- Organise and manage all aspects of the workload of a team of engineers and designers, within the parameters of a project schedule.
- Understands and applies the Project Execution Plan (PEP) requirements -
- make-up and application (including the Engineering Plan).
- Preparing discipline man-hours estimates for new proposal and development of deliverables lists
- To deliver the disciplines design deliverables within the man-hour budget.
- Manage discipline resources together with the Project Engineering Manager
- Identification of software requirements and selection of appropriate design tools.
- Identifying training needs of discipline personnel.
- Identify and report potential variances to Project (using PVN)
- Updating lessons learnt in the lessons learnt register.
- Facilitation of Safety & Design Reviews and Hazard and Operability Studies
- Review safety engineering requirements for specific projects
- Provide advice to Project Engineering personnel & Management on all aspects of risk reduction, mitigation and safety engineering matters.
- Preparation of, and management of, both Qualitative and Quantitative Risk Assessments, including fault tree and event tree analyses, hazard identification, FMECA techniques, risk
Job Specific Knowledge :
- Demonstrate a visible and active commitment to HSE management and its associated requirements in a project environment
- Experience in various phases of project life cycle; feasibility/concept studies, FEED, detail engineering, EPIC.
- Expertise in: Hazard and Risk Management, Concept Option Selection, Inherent Safety Review, Fire & Explosion Analysis,
Fire Protection related studies, Formal Safety Assessments, Safety Critical Element & Performance Standards, QRA, Safety Case, Reliability Studies (including FMEA and RAM), SIL Assessments, Active Fire Protection Design, Passive Fire Protection Design.
- Experience in facilitation HAZOP and HAZID workshops
- Experience with Reliability/Availability Studies for offshore/onshore Petrochemical Industries
- Exposure to Safety Management principals, application and relevance in Risk Assessments
- Experience with completion of Safety Cases for offshore or onshore facilities
Expert level knowledge in - Safety & Risk Engineering (Active and Passive Fire protection system design, Fire and Gas detection system design, Hazardous area classification), Safety and Risk Studies (QRA and FERA)
- Deciding and Initiating Action:
- Initiates and introduces changes into work processes;
- Makes quick, clear decisions that may include tough choices or considered risks;
- Recognizes the need for improved systems/processes and proactively recommends, develops and implements them.
- Proactively resolve any discrepancies between Worley and its client's requirements.
- Leading and Supervising :
- Provides team members with a clear direction;
- Sets appropriate standards of behaviour;
- Motivates and empowers others;
- Provides staff with development opportunities and coaching;
- Able to make difficult decisions and lead and manage others in changing business conditions;
- Provide on the job training to others in the discipline team;
- Is able to assign team members to projects systematically to meet demands, taking into account the varying experience, competence, capability and workload levels of individuals within the group;
- Helps team members feel valued, appreciated and included in discussions and meetings.
Persuading & Influencing :
- Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading,
- Convincing and negotiating;
- Promotes ideas on behalf of oneself or others;
- Makes a strong personal impact on others; Takes care to manage one's impression on others.
- Applying Expertise & Technology :
- Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise;
- Uses technology to achieve work objectives;
- Demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions;
- Develops job knowledge and expertise through continual professional development;
- Keep up-to-date with the latest developments and technical innovations in the discipline;
- Specialized expertise in regulations, codes, manufacturing standards, and industry standard practices; Implements innovative solutions, and methods in self and team's work.
- Is able to analyse engineering/design problems methodically and arrive at satisfactory solutions;
- Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem;
- Makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis;
- Demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
- Proficient in specialty engineering, analytics and modelling, and cross-discipline data centric methods.
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations:
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction;
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity;
- Excellent customer focus and able to consistently meet Worley and its clients needs
- Ensures design team aware of and complying with client's Basis of Design and applicable regulations and codes.
- Pro-active, goal oriented with excellent attention to detail.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships within Worley, with its clients and other stakeholders.
Desirable Competencies :
- Adhering to Principles and Values: Upholds ethics and Worley values;
- Demonstrates integrity as a person who is trusted by others and consistently honours their commitments;
- Promotes and defends equal opportunities; Builds diverse teams;
- Encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment.
Presenting & Communicating Information :
- Speaks fluently;
- Expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly;
- Makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence;
- Responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility;
- Regularly monitors the communication network between project staff, the client and third parties and introduces changes where required.
- Creating and Innovating :
- Produces new ideas, approaches, or insights;
HSE Capability :
- Maintain HSE focus with the team to ensure OHSE requirements.
- Demonstrate behaviour and business practices commensurate with a culture of world's best health, safety and environmental performance.
- Demonstrate a visible and active commitment to:
- Pipenet, PHAST, SAFETI, PHA Pro, Flaresim, Detect3D (optional), exSILentia (optional).
- Able to work in diverse team
- Able to make difficult decisions and lead and manage others in changing business conditions.
- Highly effective people management skills such as leadership, team, interpersonal, coaching, mentoring and supervisory skills. Must be able to build, motivate, develop and manage an effective team.
- Highly effective management skills including the ability to plan, set goals; and manage time, priorities, resources, accountabilities, schedules and cost.
- Understands Worley Vision and purpose, translates it into team goals and objectives, and gains team commitment to achieving those goals and objectives.
- Effectively manages and resolves conflict between individuals and/or groups.
- Negotiates successful outcomes that achieve the required objectives and have the support and acceptance of all parties.
- Good English communication skills (spoken & written)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to convey information and ideas to individuals and groups, and make presentations when required.
- Demonstrates initiative and a willingness to learn and continuously improve on performance.
- Able to work on multiple projects of various size and complexity.
Able to work effectively in small to large multi-disciplinary teams and share and transfer knowledge within teams.
What we offer you
Providing an agile culture and challenging work opportunities results in a positive work environment. Our people enjoy competitive compensation packages and a fun, personal, collaborative and safe working environment. We value equal employment opportunity and are committed to promoting fairness, equality and diversity.
Our policy is to conduct background checks for all candidates who accept an offer of employment with us.
If you have the passion and talent to keep up, it's time to test the limits of what you can become. Find your future with Worley.
About the Company
Worley is a leading global provider of professional services in the energy, chemicals and resources sectors. We partner with our customers to address their most critical challenges at every stage of their projects: from initial concepts to sustaining and enhancing their assets. And we provide smarter, bolder solutions while delivering on our own sustainability commitments.
We are 51,000 bright minds across 46 countries all driven by a common purpose – delivering a more sustainable world. While working to fulfill our ambition to be recognized globally as the leader in sustainability solutions.