Senior Safety & Risk Engineer
Job description / Role
51,000 people. 49 countries. Over 120 office locations.
We're not just engineers. We're a global team of data scientists, consultants, construction workers and innovators all working to create a better tomorrow. Every day, we help customers in energy, chemicals and resources get one step closer to solving our planet's toughest issues. Climate change. The energy transition. Digital transformation. And how we can deliver a more sustainable world.?
Whatever your ambition, there's a path for you here. And there's no barrier to your potential career success. For more information, visit Worley.com
- Supports the standardization of equipment specifications, drawings, and document templates.
- Contributes to the understanding of technical knowledge, legal requirements, and customer specifications whenever viable and lawful.
- Uses local/global standards to support technical excellence.
- Supports checking, peer reviews, and incorporation of comments and findings.
- Identify the safety engineering scope of work from the basis of design.
- Conduct HAZID & HAZOP workshops.
- Design Safety Reviews / Studies, Layout, EERA, ESSA, F&G, Dropped Object, Hazardous Area.
- Ensure technical integrity of the Safety & Risk discipline's deliverables through the implementation of checking and design review activities.
- Document key design decisions that may have a significant safety impact.
- Squad checking of deliverables
- Updating lessons learned in the lessons learned register.
- Safety & Risk Studies:
- Preparation of Safety & Risk Philosophies.
- Design Requirements for Safety Systems.
- Active Fire Protection Design (PipeNet).
- Passive Fire Protection Design.
- Fire and Gas Design.
- Hazardous area classification.
- Escape routes and safety equipment specification.
- Formal Safety Assessments.
- Identify major Accident Hazard events and apply a formalized approach of hazard management to identify and provide means of mitigation and reduction of hazards.
- Safety-Critical Element & Performance Standards.
- Design Safety Reviews / Studies, Layout, EERA, ESSA, F&G, Hazardous Area.
- Undertake Fire and Explosion Studies and other Risk-based studies consistent with Safety Case application. This includes Non-Flammable Analysis Studies, Smoke Dispersion modeling, Escape and Rescue Modeling and Emergency System Vulnerability Assessments.
- CTR Management & progress reporting, Estimation of work scopes & CTR
- Proactively seek an understanding of the safety hazards and risks associated with the asset lifecycle of the designed product, plant or structure.
- To deliver the disciplines design deliverables within the man-hour budget.
- Prepare Equipment specification (i.e. Fire-fighting, Life-saving)
- Complete Risk Assessments for clients using Excel spreadsheets or visual basic programs (SMORM & HARRI) developed by Worley Safety & Risk Management.
- Develop Event Tree & Fault Tree as appropriate to meet client requirements.
Job Specific Knowledge:
- Demonstrate a visible and active commitment to HSE management and its associated requirements in a project environment
- Highly effective technical and practical engineering skills in the Safety & Risk discipline, and able to consistently deliver quality, accurate and timely work to Worley and its clients.
- Specialized expertise of the fundamental requirements of the Safety & Risk discipline, and the basic requirements of other disciplines.
- Specialized expertise of applicable local and international standards and statutory and regulatory requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of safety design/engineering with wide experience in multi-discipline areas
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Extensive working knowledge in: Hazard and Risk Management, Concept Option Selection, Inherent Safety Review, Fire & Explosion Analysis, Fire Protection related studies, Formal Safety Assessments, Safety Critical Element & Performance Standards, QRA, Safety Case, Reliability Studies (including FMEA and RAM), SIL Assessments, Active Fire Protection Design, Passive Fire Protection Design.
- Experience in facilitation HAZOP and HAZID workshops
- Experience with Reliability/Availability Studies for offshore/onshore Petrochemical Industries
- Exposure to Safety Management principals, application and relevance in Risk Assessments
- Experience with completion of Safety Cases for offshore or onshore facilities
- Expert level knowledge in - Safety & Risk Engineering (Active and Passive Fire protection system design, Fire and Gas detection system design, Hazardous area classification), Safety and Risk Studies (QRA and FERA)
- PHA Pro
- Detect3D (optional)
- exSILentia (optional)
- Minimum 10 years experience of safety design in onshore and offshore oil & gas industry in a brownfield environment.
- Experience with HAZID / HAZOP ToR preparation, scribing and report
- HAZID / HAZOP actions follow-up and close-out
- Consequence modelling (e.g. Phast / Safeti / Fred)
- ALARP demonstration and report
- Performs as a professional Safety & Risk engineer for projects and plant modifications from Front End
Education - Qualifications, Accreditation, Training:
- Full-Time Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering from an accredited university
- MME (Ministry of Municipality and Environment) engineering accreditation is a mandatory requirement. Candidates not holding this accreditation must be willing to achieve this within the probationary period.
- Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng) status or undertaking the same will be an advantage
What we offer you
Providing an agile culture and challenging work opportunities results in a positive work environment. Our people enjoy competitive compensation packages and a fun, personal, collaborative and safe working environment. We value equal employment opportunity and are committed to promoting fairness, equality and diversity.
Our policy is to conduct background checks for all candidates who accept an offer of employment with us.
If you have the passion and talent to keep up, it's time to test the limits of what you can become. Find your future with Worley.
About the Company
Worley is a leading global provider of professional services in the energy, chemicals and resources sectors. We partner with our customers to address their most critical challenges at every stage of their projects: from initial concepts to sustaining and enhancing their assets. And we provide smarter, bolder solutions while delivering on our own sustainability commitments.
We are 51,000 bright minds across 46 countries all driven by a common purpose – delivering a more sustainable world. While working to fulfill our ambition to be recognized globally as the leader in sustainability solutions.