Job description / Role
Amentum is seeking a Senior Social Scientist, who is experienced working with a diverse team of linguists, analysts, and information operations (IO) planners to translate empirical research findings into operational assessments. The ability to work on a team in a collaborative environment is a requirement. This position is based in Qatar (the candidate will work on Al Udeid Air Base, and live on the economy in Doha).
The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing opinion research projects within the CENTCOM AOR. The candidate must be comfortable visualizing quantitative data and completing assessment reports in the form of briefs, PowerPoint presentations, and direct inputs into C2IE (Command and Control in the Information Environment). The candidate should also be comfortable working with research vendors to provide inputs for the design of qualitative research (e.g., focus groups and in-depth interviews). This position is an unaccompanied assignment located at Al Udeid AB, Doha, Qatar. Employee will live on the economy in Doha, Qatar and drive to Al-Udeid Air Base for daily support to the military.
Off Base Housing and Transportation is provided to include Internet service at the provided housing unit Roles and responsibilities for this position include:
- Conduct assessments of the information environment, applying a combination of opinion research data, intelligence, operational reporting, and social media insights.
- Provide data visualization and quantitative analysis.
- Oversee design of opinion research and interpretation of findings. Examples of opinion research includes survey, flash polls, focus groups, and in-depth interviews.
- Prepare status reports, assess project issues and risks, and develop resolutions to meet productivity, quality, and client-satisfaction goals and objectives.
- Develop, refine, and coordinate assessment and collection plans for active and future series in the theater being reported in the Command and Control of the Information Environment (C2IE) system.
- Create, determine resourcing, and/or coordinate with stakeholders, the collection of social, cultural, economic, political, religious, and regional identified indicators through all available sources to assess approved series in the theater.
- Develop, refine, and coordinate Series Assessment Reports (SARs) for all active series in the area of responsibility being reported in C2IE on a quarterly basis. Continuously maintain a summary report of all SARs in the theater and disseminate as necessary.
- Collaborate with knowledge management to maintain and update assessments repositories of all existing series assessments, survey data, survey reports, and analytical intelligence reports as they pertain to conducting inform and influence operations in theater.
- Conduct statistical analysis of aggregated data received from team members, other agencies, and organic assets, and author summary reports and/or present oral briefings for senior leadership.
- Review studies conducted by similar organizations and determine reliability, validity and other strength factors for potential use in theater.
- Contribute to methodology advancement for analyzing and extracting insights from large-scale qualitative and quantitative data sets to enhance comprehension of target audience behaviors and reactions.
- Create/lead innovative social science research initiatives, educate staff on proposed responsibilities, collect results from the implemented tasks, and report to senior-decision makers.
- Work independently or in collaboration with social scientists within and outside the theater.
Minimum Qualifications: To be considered for this position, candidates must meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below: Master's degree in political science, international relations, area studies, behavioral sciences, sociology, geography, anthropology, or other related social science field. 9 years of relevant experience with Bachelor's Degree, 7 years of relevant experience with a Masters or 4 years of relevant experience with PhD. Knowledge and experience in use of all Microsoft Office products. Willing and able to travel/reside within the Middle East as required by the program.
Note: Areas in the Middle East may be austere and hazardous. Current U.S. passport. Current DoD TS/SCI. Must be willing and able to deploy and abide by required COVID quarantine and host nation requirements Must be able to meet OCONUS COVID-19 Travel Protocols for Qatar Must be able to Meet Qatar Visa Requirements Must have Valid US Passport with two years minimum remaining before expiration Preferred Qualifications: Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration: PhD in psychology, sociology, anthropology, behavioral sciences, social sciences and more than 9 years of applicable experience. Current TS/SCI clearance. Joint intelligence or operational experience with U.S. Geographical Combatant Commands. Statistical package expertise in IBM SPSS/PASW, R, STATA or MS Excel statistics. Experience working in Afghanistan as an individual contributor. Experience with campaign / operational assessments.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran's status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
About the Company
Amentum is a premier global technical and engineering services partner supporting critical programs of national significance across defense, security, intelligence, energy, and environment. We draw from a century-old heritage of operational excellence, mission focus, and successful execution underpinned by a strong culture of safety and ethics.