Job description / Role
The purpose of this position is to deliver a safe, reliable, world class and customer focused station environment and tram service.
Structure and reporting relationship:
Reports to Tram Driver/ Customer Service Supervisor.
• Have a split responsibility for Tram Driving as well as Customer Service Operator, rotating as necessary
• Monitor and maintain tram and station operational status and to ensure the safety and comfort of passenger movement on the tram within the station premises;
• Carry out controlled/uncontrolled/emergency evacuation of passengers;
• Control and mitigate overcrowding on the tram and stations to ensure that passengers flows are managed in an orderly manner;
• Deliver essential messages to passenger via audio or visual means in a timely, clear and proactive manner;
• Monitor and control the direction of passenger flow, and manage accordingly in the event of an emergency situation;
• Provide tram service information and respond to passenger enquiries;
• Handle lost property;
• Assist passengers with special accessibility needs;
• Meet and greet customers and provide a highly visible and proactive level of customer service;
• When dealing with customers, ensure that matters are handled tactfully and sensitively as appropriate and strictly follow the guidelines, procedures and instructions of the organisation.
• Comply fully with procedures and instructions instructed as part of the certified training and instructions
• Enforce safety procedures and instructions and carry out necessary procedures to ensure the safety of members of the public and employees of the railway
• Render all possible assistance to customers, in particular those with special accessibility needs
• Report for duty fully prepared deliver a safe, reliable, world class, customer focused train service;
• Operate passenger vehicles in all operating modes in the assigned area as required;
• Assist in the shunting operations of trams in and out of the depot;
• Assist in tram testing during engineering hours as required;
• Controlling the evacuation of tram in an emergency;
• Assisting in the re-establishing of tram operation following failure or activation of emergency button on tram or station;
• Perform shift and emergency duties when required;
• Perform and carry out other duties as instructed/directed by the Tram Driver/ Customer Service Supervisor and the Operations and Maintenance Manager.
• Ideally a degree holder or higher diploma of post-secondary education in a related discipline.
• A mature, proactive and responsible approach to work with initiative and problem solving capability;
• Ability to liaise in a professional and persuasive manner with staff at all levels in the organizations;
• Good communication skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and work productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment;
• Good literacy and numeracy skills required for the role;
• Ability to understand complex systems and possess good IT skills;
• Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, and the ability to handle multiple priorities;
• Numeracy, in dealing/recording cash transactions.
• A minimum of 2 years’ experience as a front line staff delivering customer service in a metro station or equivalent;
• Experience and understanding of dealing with customers and conflict resolution techniques;
• Basic understanding of station operations and associated activities;
• Must have held a clean driving license with 5 years driving experience;
• Must be over 25 years of age;
Additional/special features of the role
• Ensure compliance with the Serco Management System and all relevant business processes, procedures and work instructions to deliver all work with appropriate quality and governance standards
• Ensure security and integrity of all data provided including reporting performance, finance and customer information; reference Serco non-disclosure policy
• To exercise personal duty of care for their own health, safety and welfare and for those affected by their acts or omissions; reference SMS GSOP-HSE1-6 Serco organisational HSE responsibilities
• Ensure compliance with all training requirements of Serco and ensure adherence to these requirements at all times whilst in employment
• Report any accidents, incidents, breaches or potential breaches to appropriate management or the speak up process
About the Company
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Serco customers are looking for expertise in managing their people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise economic decision makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver quality services directly to the public.
Serco supplies to governments, government enterprise, agencies and companies who seek a trusted outsourcing partner with a solid track-record of service excellence. Serco people offer operational, logistical and technical expertise in the Transport, Justice and Immigration, Defence, Education and Healthcare industries as well as in the commercial sectors of Facilities Management.
Serco Middle East have been in the Region since 1947, starting out delivering Air Traffic Control Services in Bahrain; a service we are proudly still running today and have expanded to include many other Airports in the region.
We have expanded significantly since that time across the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. We have been supporting the RTA to operate the Dubai Metro since 2009, are preparing to launch the flagship Saudi Arabia Passenger Rail service from Riyadh to Qassim in 2016. We deliver Facility Management services to both Cleveland Clinic and Healthpoint Hospitals in Abu Dhabi, large-scale medical facilities in Saudi Arabia and a range of educational and commercial properties in the UAE. We also deliver postgraduate education to Officers in the Qatar Armed Forces through the Joaan Bin Jassim Joint Command and Staff College in Doha.
Focusing on our core values, and creating a positive environment for employees to thrive, we look forward to a bright future as we continue to grow with the region.