Atkins Middle East
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Job description / Role
Saudi Arabia continues to be an exciting location, with ambitious growth and transformational plans to support Vision 2030. Atkins is positioned to grow its position as a leading provider of technical solutions to many of the opportunities presented by this programme, having established a 200+ staff office in Riyadh, but also with ambitions to grow further in 2020.
We are currently looking for an experienced Commercial Professional to support Atkins in delivering professional design and engineering consultancy services in Saudi Arabia. It is envisaged that the successful candidate will have a minimum of 15 years relevant experience and be capable of supporting contract and financial elements of project delivery. You will be involved in the management of successful projects through the mobilisation stage into steady state operation, implementing processes and teams to assure good commercial governance of each project. Continuing opportunities with our key clients are envisaged over the next ten years, making this a permanent staff position for the Design and Engineering business.
Reporting directly to the Regional Commercial Director, you will be responsible for the coordination of our commercial approach, training and development of other Commercial staff and Project leadership operating within projects in Saudi Arabia. You will have responsibility for assisting the Division to deliver against the commercial objectives set out each year in its annual budgets and building the business resilience needed for its longer term, sustainable growth, as well as for the collection of cash.
BEng /BSc in an appropriate engineering discipline or Quantity Surveying.
Technical Knowledge and experience
- Contracts and sub-contracts- preparation, review and evaluation
- Knowledge of the design process in the project lifecycle
- Knowledge of the site operations process
- Contract and commercial correspondence
- Preparation of financial models and pricing proposals
- Understanding and experience of project planning, programme and delay claim preparation and evaluation
- Management of variations and claims processes, claims preparation
- Senior level commercial experience on at least one major design and construct project
- Negotiation skills
- Risk management process and practice
- Excellent ability to develop successful client relationships
- Design and build project experience, especially contractor side design
- Multi-disciplinary design and engineering process and controls
- Middle East experience.
- Commercial experience with the delivery of projects in the entertainment sector
- To understand and interpret Atkins rights and responsibilities across its portfolio of projects in Saudi Arabia
- Overall responsibility for supporting Project Directors in the delivery of projects to the contractual arrangements and the required commercial outcome (including the contracted profit margin) all in accordance with the agreed financial objectives
- Co-ordinate commercial appointments for services being provided by all parties, including other Atkins Business Sectors and sub-consultants.
- Developing and managing the commercial administration, monitoring and change control system requirements to comply with Atkins internal business processes and systems, inclusive of risk and variation registers
- Developing commercial understanding and competence within the Project Management and Design delivery staff in Saudi Arabia
- Support the Project-based Commercial staff within the Country's live projects
- Escalation and reporting on claims made against Atkins Professional Indemnity insurance or such circumstances
- Commercial review and audit of live projects in Country
- Understanding of and adherence to Atkins internal Business Management System (BMS) and other processes.
- Monitor compliance of the Service Delivery Process throughout the project delivery phase and respond to queries;
- Review monthly financial reports and review any actions in respect of the Risk Register and project contingency;
- Influence improved risk management to ensure an appropriate approach to risk is considered with an objective of converting contingency to margin for live projects
- Liaise with finance and project teams on debt management with an aim of converting debt provisions to P&L profit.
- Provide guidance to project teams to ensure a consistent approach to billing in line with contractual arrangements is maintained to maximise positive cash flow.
- Influence behaviours to provide early warnings of risk to projects financial health
- Business minded, commercially astute
- External focus and awareness of market influences
- Client friendly, relationship building, emotionally intelligent
- Self-motivated with a winning attitude
- Good team leader and team worker
- Excellent communicator in written and spoken English
- Strong influencing skills
- Mobile, willing to make regular travel in region
- Committed and persistent can-do qualities
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
Rewards & Benefits:
We offer an excellent package which includes:
- A competitive salary
- Transportation allowance
- Medical and life insurance cover
- Annual leave
- Medical and life insurance cover
- Company gratuity scheme
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Annual flight allowance to point of origin
SNC Lavalin's Faithful+Gould business is one of the world's leading integrated project and programme management consultancies, with over 2,400 professionals operating worldwide.
Our aim is to protect and maximize our clients' interests throughout the planning and delivery of projects, ensuring they are delivered on time, on budget. We pride ourselves on collaborating with client teams and developing long-term relationships.
Key services include - Project management, programme management, project controls, commercial management, cost management and expert scheduling and construction planning. Our industry is going through a digital transformation and we have been investing in and pioneering digital methods to improve all aspects of our service.
We have focused our digital transformation around platform modernization and product development and through standardization and automation, we are achieving efficiencies that are directly passed on our clients who benefit from a consistent quality of service as well as the savings.
Active in the Middle East for over 20 years, we have offices in the UAE, Qatar, Oman and Saudi Arabia. We hire and retain only the best people in the industry. Our success is built on recruiting - and then developing - brilliant people from a broad range of professional and cultural backgrounds. It's precisely this diversity of talent that sets us apart.
Get job alerts
x Save as job alert
There was an error saving your job alert
Thank you message
Our commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion
What does equality, diversity and inclusion look like at the SNC-Lavalin Group?
We believe in providing everyone with an equal voice because simply put, it's the right thing to do.
Find out more
Find out more about life at
SNC - Lavalin
You'll be working to change the world. No matter where you are in the world, your opportunities with us are endless.
We work on global projects that take on today's most pressing challenges. From population growth, to increasing transportation needs, and climate change - we merge ingenuity, knowledge and technology to uplift communities and drive a safer, better tomorrow.
Find out more
About the Company
Atkins is one of the leading providers of professional, technology based consultancy and support services to the industry, commerce and governments in all of the worlds major economies. With over 17,000 staff operating in Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and the Americas, Atkins has a broad range of skills and resources and provides Clients with a comprehensive service throughout the entire life cycle of the projects in the built environment.
We aim to be the international first choice supplier of technical and integrated services. Shaped by our customers' needs, our vision is to:
- focus on quality
- seek world class design and excellence
- strive to add value
- be flexible to the evolving needs of a changing society
Atkins first carried out design and supervision commissions in the Gulf area in 1967. From its regional head office in Dubai, U.A.E. Atkins Middle East now employs over 2000 staff located in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Oman (Muscat ), Qatar (Doha) Bahrain (Manama), Kuwait (Kuwait City) and India (Bangalore).