Job description / Role
Purpose of the job
The Control Room Operator will support control room activities. He/she will be expected to operate the plant from the CCR aiding the Shift Charge Engineer and conduct the local operation of the plant to ensure it safely meets the required availability, reliability, efficiency, generation and cost targets, safely and within strict environmental limits.
Scope of the job
The Control Room Operator is responsible to perform periodical control room and local operation the power and water plant and making accurate and timely decisions on matters affecting local plant processes and performance and consulting with the Shift Charge when necessary. The role requires practical experience of the technologies associated to local operation of a modern large Combined Cycle Gas Turbine plant, Auxiliary Boiler and a wide range of auxiliary equipment. In addition to possessing a detailed understanding of Company safety rules and practical application of such in the field. Leading to authorization to perform the role of a Designated Person and understand the role of all staff involved in application of the rules. I.e. Safety Controller, Safety Coordinator (where applicable), Designated Person and the Acceptor.
The Control Room Operator will report to Shift Charge Engineer.
The Control Room Operators key accountabilities encompass;
Health, Safety, Environmental & Quality Management
• Ensure compliance to all relevant safety, quality and environmental management procedures and controls within the defined area to guarantee employee safety and legislative compliance.
• Performs the role of a Designated Person through the application of the Company Safety Rules. Ensures effective implementation of safety rules on a shift by shift basis.
• Operates plant locally from CCR and/or field as necessary within defined operating parameters to ensure the safety of staff, legislative compliance, and a responsible environmental attitude
• Ensures full understanding of all related procedures and ensures no breach.
• Maintains frequency of safety and environmental walk downs, incidents and near misses reported.
• Adoption of safe methods of work and safe operational practices;
• Compliance with all relevant applicable laws, Directives and project documents;
• Compliance with the appropriate corporate Policies and Procedures
• Compliance with corporate internal controls
Support development and continuos improvement of relevant work instructions and procedures
• Performs the role of Subject Matter Expert in specialized areas of the local plant and provides practical training to staff when necessary
• Supports development of Saudi nationals within the team;
• Engages in performance management processes by suggesting and agreeing on objectives and meeting targets. Provides support to individual’s in achieving the set targets whenever necessary.
• Engages in Site, Regional and Corporate initiatives.
• Actively involved as a team member contributing to the general motivation of colleagues a team values
• Operation of the plant, safety, reliably and efficiently to achieve plant performance and ensure optimum level of power and water export as required by the off-taker
• Conducts routine plant checks i.e. plant roundups and completion of log sheets
• Perform operational actions (i.e. valve operation, switching on/off pumps or resetting the local alarms etc.) to avoid any abnormal plant operations or to correct existing abnormalities
• Follows operational procedures and instructions to ensure work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner.
• Understand plant status at shift takeover and/or handover and exchanges important details to the shift team. Ensures accurate and detailed information is passed to the following shift.
• Coordination among the operations and maintenance teams for routine and corrective maintenance requirements.
• Performs periodic local plant test activities to ensure reliability of trip devices and standby plant equipment
• Manages effectively plant transients in a safe and reliable manner
• Performs local plant start-ups and shutdown as required.
• Planning and controlled changeover/ shutdown of plant equipment for maintenance purposes
• Continuous monitoring in the field and analysis of equipment operating parameters for early prediction of equipment abnormal condition and initiate appropriate action to prevent unscheduled unit or equipment outage.
• Takes log readings and prepares shift reports and trip reports etc.;
• Supports review of operational procedures and trains subordinates for the changes.
• Raise work orders in CMMS to report plant defects and follows up on progress
• Coordinating with the SCE, FO and maintenance staff to schedule planned and unplanned maintenance activities
• Perform the duties of stand in CRE whenever necessary
• To ensure the export quality of potable water to meet with the WHO guide lines and potable water quality standards set in PWPA.
• Participates in the plant’s Training and Qualification Program
Outcome, Results and Key Performance Indicators
• Plant Load Factor, Efficiency and Availability as business plan.
• No reportable accidents because of failures of the safe system of work
• No trips from stable generation
• No reportable breaches of the Environmental Permit
• No customer complaints
• Supporting achievement maintain OSHAS 18001
• Supporting achievement /maintain ISO 14001
• Supporting achievement /maintain ISO 9001
• Net Dependable Capacity demonstrated during annual performance test
• Daily communications regarding plant operational and people issues with Shift Charge Engineer and Field Operator
• Daily coordination and cooperation with operations, maintenance and external parties for operations, planning and forecasting purposes
• Regular communications with the Control Room team regarding operational issues, technical problems.
Knowledge and skills
• Ability to demonstrate an understanding of Health, Safety and Environment Management procedures
• Understanding of Quality, Health, Safety and Environment management systems and Safety Rules
• Ability to demonstrate understanding and application of Operating Instructions and Procedures relating to the duties of a Field Engineer
• Demonstrate a practical and good understanding associated to the working principle of Gas Turbine, Steam turbine, HRSG, Desalination (RO for Demin plant), Auxiliary Boiler and a wide range of auxiliary plant.
• In depth knowledge of plant layout and operation of various field equipments, capable to understand logic diagrams / P&ID and plant electrical system / protection
• Good understanding of DCS its operating functions and system monitoring
• Ability to demonstrate safe and efficient local and CCR operation of the plant systems
• Ability to monitor the performance of the plant locally within a varying range of load conditions
• Start-up and shutdown of plant to current operating procedures
• Monitoring and Inspection of plant as per Operating Instructions
• Diagnosis of plant faults and ability to record defects using SAP
• Awareness of the need for efficient operation of the plant to deliver high levels of commercial availability within environment limits
• Effective liaison with the Shift Charge Engineer over plant operational issues
• Ability to and assist others to make decisions to resolve plant operational problems.
• Ability to conduct safe local plant isolations from the system
• Ability to provide support to incidents in a range of situations
• Conduct routine operating and maintenance activities such as oil change, filter cleaning etc.
• Communication and cooperation between the Maintenance and Operation teams
• Working as part of a self-managed shift team
• Good command of the English language
• Having knowledge and exposure of modern process operations especially that of large combined cycle power generation
• At least three years’ experience working as a Control Room Operator similar in a CCGT Power & Water Plant.
• Commissioning and start up experience would be an advantage.
• A recognized engineering related diploma or equivalent
• Has a foresight and drive to deliver continuous improvement.
• Seeks a broad range of information for analysis and decision making
• Generates ideas and solutions to overcome problems and improve performance
• Promotes team working with colleagues to maximize performance
• Clear and confident communicator
• Commitment to delivering results
Job Level: Without management
Employee Status: Regular
Primary Location: KSA
About the Company
At Candidate we pride ourselves in not only being a team of recruiters but possessing extensive industry experience across our key verticals, which allows us to search and select the right calibre of resource for our clients. With our offices in the UK and Dubai, UAE we have the exposure to the right network which helps us focus on building a portfolio of clients and candidates across our key sectors:
Financial Services FinTech Legal Cyber Healthcare Digital
We like to see ourselves as more than a typical recruitment consultancy. For instance we offer the core services of placing the right candidate for our clients and retained recruitment, in addition to consultancy to advise and build out a client’s needs. Supplying contract resource is an area we are building out to provide further options to our client base. Lastly training is a key focus, as a result of our partnership with Forte Markets we have access to a depth of content and expertise, across our key verticals, rarely seen with a recruiter.