Job description / Role
- Work under the technical supervision of a lead designer or engineer to gather data.
- Assist in preparing technical specifications under the direction of a technical lead.
- Retrieve information to complete drawing, layout and design.
- Assist in reviewing engineering drawings and design, and may mentor entry level drafters.
- Develop and maintain an acceptable level of expertise in detail design practices of SEL protection and automation systems.
- Use best available processes and tools and provide feedback on process enhancements.
- Complete assigned work and submit within timelines and budgets with a high level of quality to technical lead.
- Work in a safe, healthful and environmentally sound manner, report accidents and unsafe conditions promptly, and perform ergonomic exercises to reduce likelihood of injuries.
- Continuously identify, measure, follow, and improve applicable processes.
- Supervisory responsibilities as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in EET, CAD, Drafting or relevant discipline or possess equivalent experience for each academic year
- Two plus years of relevant experience with high voltage electrical design
- Strong computer, telephone, proofreading, speaking and filing skills
- Ability to learn concepts and technical details of products
- Ability to work independently, accepting ownership of assigned responsibilities
- Demonstrated competency in CAD drafting (AUTOCAD or Microstation)
- Knowledge of IEEE Designation Codes regarding protective relay functions
- Willing to travel as needed
- Strong writing, documentation, and speaking skills
- Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Background check results satisfactory to SEL
- Preferred Qualifications
- Experience working in project teams
- Electrical utility, consulting or system integrator experience
- Strong knowledge of protective relay applications and/or automation applications
- Knowledge of SEL relays
About the Company
SEL makes electric power safer, more reliable, and more economical. To accomplish this mission, we design, manufacture, and support a complete line of products and services for the protection, monitoring, control, automation, and metering of electric power systems. Our solutions range from comprehensive generator and transmission protection to distribution automation and control systems. The SEL Government Services Division is dedicated to the security, safety, and reliability of electric power at facilities ranging from military base power systems to ships, while Engineering Services provides engineering capabilities and system solutions to national and international customers. SEL University provides training and programs that help our customers meet the technical challenges and complexities of integrating digitally based technologies into the expanding power system infrastructure.