Job description / Role
Air Products, Saudi Aramco and ACWA Power are in final negotiations to form an over $11 billion Gasification/Power joint venture (JV) located at Jazan Economic City (JEC) in Saudi Arabia.
The JV will purchase, commission and operate the gasification assets, power block and the associated utilities from Saudi Aramco. These assets are currently under construction and will be transferred to the JV upon successful completion, currently scheduled for the end of 2019.
The JV will own and operate the facility under a 25-year contract for a fixed monthly fee. Saudi Aramco will supply feedstock to the JV, and the JV will produce power, hydrogen and other utilities for Saudi Aramco. Air Products will own at least 50 percent of the JV, with Saudi Aramco and ACWA Power owning the balance. The JV builds upon the importance and recognition that critical infrastructure assets in the region are being developed and operated under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model." The Jazan IGCC is the world’s largest IGCC and ASU facility making 2100 MMSCFD syngas, 18,000 MT/Day Oxygen and 4 Gigawatts of power. Facilities and assets include: liquids gasification, acid gas clean up, soot ash recovery, sulphur recovery, combined cycle power plants, materials handling systems, hydrogen recovery, water utilities systems and waste water treatment facilities.
An opportunity is now available for an Engineering Manager to support the Jazan IGCC commissioning and start-up phase. The duration of the assignment is approximately 24 months with an additional option to roll into a long-term staff position with the Jazan IGCC JV. This is an on-site position in Jazan, Saudi Arabia working 8 weeks on with 2 weeks off.
The incumbent will report to the Commissioning Director and will lead a team consisting of 7 Engineering Team Leads: Controls, Machinery, Mechanical, Piping/Vessel Inspection, Process, and Process Safety. The Engineering Team Leads each have responsibility for 4-6 engineers in their respective teams.This position is intended to target candidates who have led large engineering teams in a process plant environment. The Jazan IGCC team supports the safe and efficient leadership, planning, commissioning and start-up of process gas units, including our newly acquired gasification technologies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This opportunity is focused on leading a multi-disciplined team of engineers which will participate in all phases of engineering support for the commissioning, start-up and start-up stabilization period of the following key operating units: gasification and ancillary systems (POX), syngas acid gas removal process (methanol solvent), hydrogen recovery (membrane and PSA), sulfur recovery units (Claus process), Soot Ash Removal Unit (SARU), Waste Water Treatment Plant and Utilities.
The Engineering Manager will also participate in the staffing of the Engineering organization by identifying positions, writing job descriptions, screening and interviewing candidates and directing the training and onboarding of new hires.
• Lead by example with regards to following procedures and our highest priority of maintaining personnel safety
• Possess strong leadership skills to drive both internal and external teams to their highest performance
• The objectives are to meet safety goals, commissioning schedule and quality
• Experience in leading multi-disciplined team of engineers in plant environment
• Proven ability to identify and solve plant engineering/process problems in complex process operations
• Strong background in field commissioning and start-up of process equipment
• The ability to represent our Engineering Organization and Air Products in front of our stakeholders (project teams, construction, operations, and our customers)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Have a minimum of a BS in ME or CHE with preference for advanced degrees
• Have a minimum of 15 years of experience in leading multi-disciplined engineering teams with some of that time in a process plant environment
• Demonstrated leadership of engineering team exceeding 15 people
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.