Job description / Role
Executive Sous Chef Job Summary:
Responsible for assisting the Executive Chef in the operation and administration and has overall responsibility in the absence of the Executive Chef in planning, organizing, and managing all activities within the Food preparation areas of designated property. S /he is efficient and diplomatic in all situations involving any aspect of Food and Beverage where the reputation of the hotel is represented. S /he is responsible for Budgeting and Cost Control by providing assistance in the preparation of the department budget and by ensuring that the Outlets Operational budget are in line and costs are strictly controlled maximizing profitability. S /he assists each Outlet Chef to run their Kitchens at an acceptable food cost.
The primary responsibilities of the role include:
- Helps ensure that all departmental reports, schedules, standard recipes, menus, food presentation photographs and correspondence are completed in liaison with the Executive Chef accurately and punctually.
- Ensures the proper requisitioning and controlling of supplies.
- Attends meetings and briefings in the absence of the Executive Chef as directed by the Executive Chef and hotel management to attend Guidance Team meetings.
- Helps formulate and continually upgrade the Departmental Operations Manual, detailing standards of performance, policies and procedures and service standards pertinent to the efficient operation of the outlet in accordance with hotel policy.
- Interacts with management of other departments within areas of responsibility and develops solid working relationships with them.
- Assists in planning of menus and designing standard recipes in order to ensure consistent quality in food production, thereby satisfying guest needs and expectations.
- Liaises with Materials to ensure prompt and efficient purchasing, issuing of supplies, stock control and inventory control.
- Liaises with the Stewarding department in order to ensure an adequate supply of equipment and establishes standards of hygiene and cleanliness for all Kitchen areas.
- Liaises with Banqueting and Outlet Managers (or designates) to ensure a constantly good standard of food quality, efficient profitability and creative presentation.
- Liaises with Engineering in order to ensure prompt and efficient repair and maintenance.
- Meets and interacts with representatives of the local community and potential guests as required.
- Monitors food standards in each Outlet and Banquets.
- Makes recommendations to Management for modernisation of equipment, production methods, presentation and improved guest satisfaction.
- Communicates regularly with Executive Chef and Restaurant Chefs de Cuisine (or designates) to keep them informed of policies and procedures, special further improvement plans and guest comments.
- Ensures that all health, safety and emergency procedures and fire prevention employees strictly enforce regulations.
- Provides management with creative ideas to project and enhances the Image of Fairmont hotel
- Maximises employee productivity to minimise payroll costs.
- Liaises with Restaurant Chefs de Cuisine (or designates) in order to ensure correct scheduling of employees.
- Assists in the building of an efficient team of employees by taking an active interest in their welfare, safety, training and development.
- Assists the Restaurant Chefs de Cuisine (or designates) to fulfil their responsibilities.
- Ensures that all employees have a complete understanding of and adheres to the hotel policies and procedures.
- Plans and organises all training activities within the department.
- Conducts Employee Performance Appraisals in order to review employees' general performance, discusses existing performance and areas for improvement.
- Supervises department's Orientation Programmes for new employees in order to ensure understanding of the policies and procedures of the hotel.
- Ensures that both he and his employees participate in any scheduled training or development programmes that may improve personal or departmental standards.
- Ensures that his employees provide a friendly, courteous and efficient service at all times
- Identifies market needs and trends in terms of food for both hotel guests and the local market.
- Monitors and analyses the menus and product of competitive restaurants and other hotels' Banqueting Departments.
- Plans and implements effective food promotions.
- Responds to any changes in the Food and Beverage function as dictated by the industry, company, or hotel.
- In the absence of the Executive Chef or at any further instructions, the following duties are also carried out and properly performed:
- Communicate to the colleagues the importance of meeting customer as well as regulatory & statutory needs.
- Ensures measurable quality objectives are established and actively participate in the review of these objectives
- Ensures the availability of resources
- Ensures customer requirements are determined and met
- Actively promotes an awareness of customer requirements throughout the organization
- Ensures that responsibilities and authorities are defined and communicated within the organization
- Ensures appropriate communication processes are established
- Determines the necessary competence for employees and provides training or other actions to satisfy these needs
- Ensures that colleagues are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the department objectives.
- Maintains appropriate records of education, training, skills and experience.
- Provides constant coaching, counselling, and discipline to employees to ensure their capability to meet the needs of the customer and the organization
- Ensures manning and competence level of selected employees is sufficient for the department to meet the needs of the organization
- Must have a minimum of 3 years' experience as Chef de Cuisine or similar position.
- European Background 33 - 40 years age
- Middle eastern experience
- Outside catering and banquet experience
- New restaurant opening experience
- Hand-on in operation
- Culinary Diploma
- Strong communication skills, verbal, listen and writing
- Innovative, pro-active and reliable
- Ability to work well under pressure and in a multi cultural environment
- Cost awareness
- HACCP experienced or certified
- Basic Food and Hygiene training certification
- Managerial & Computer Skills
- High Communication Skills and fluent in English. Additional Language is a plus
- Knowledge of Product Specification
- Creative in terms of quality/presentation of food
- Leadership and Team builder
- Versatile & Resourceful
Your team and working environment:
- Working a fast-paced team environment
- Shifts will be during the day, evening, and weekend
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
We are an inclusive company, and our ambition is to attract, recruit and promote diverse talent. We are far more than a worldwide leader. We welcome you as you are, and you can find a job and brand that matches your personality. We support you to grow and learn every day, making sure that work brings purpose to your life, so that during your journey with us, you can continue to explore Accor's limitless possibilities. By joining Accor, every chapter of your story is yours to write and together we can imagine tomorrow's hospitality.
About the Company
A caring employer providing respect, training and career development for our employees. An attractive employer offering more than 100 professions across the 5 continents.
We are much more than a world leader. We are 250,000 hoteliers with the same shared passion for welcoming. We take care of millions of guests in our 4,300 addresses and on our digital platforms. As an operator and franchisor (HotelServices), owner and investor (HotelInvest), we invest all our energy into making "Feel Welcome" resonate as the finest hotel promise.
From luxury to economy and in every corner of the globe, AccorHotels' more than 20 brands meet all the needs of business and leisure travelers seeking comfort, attention and high-quality services.