Job description / Role
We are Chalhoub Group, a leading family business in the world of beauty, fashion and gifts. We have blended our Middle East expertise and intimate knowledge of luxury to offer service excellence to all our partners and a unique experience to all our customers for over 6o years
As we continue to grow, it's our vision to become a hybrid retailer, bringing luxury experiences to the fingertips of customers everywhere.
Our passionate teams drive our vision forward, without them, we couldn't create luxury experiences for our customers. Through opportunities, development and support, we empower each and every employee to achieve their career goals - and beyond. It's an exciting journey we're on, and one you could be part of.
What we are looking for
The GM is responsible for implementing the retail goals and objectives, budgets and commercial targets in alignment with the Group's strategic direction for the short and long term. In addition, the job holder is responsible for driving the development of the business, predominately in its growth through new projects, whilst also reviewing and supporting the management of the current operational growth of retail, commercially and financially. The General Manager is mandated to enable the business to achieve results through driving the capability of its human capital and promoting knowledge and information sharing whilst ensuring compliance within the Group's guidelines
What you'll do
- Champion the development of the business plan of the Business Unit(s) in line with the Division objectives and strategic objectives of Chalhoub and contribute to the overall process of decision-making
- Set the BU performance objectives and continuously monitor progress and development towards strategic objectives
- Install best-practices, methodologies, techniques and principles
- Set the Business Unit policies and procedures in order to ensure all relevant requirements are fulfilled to deliver high-quality services
- Set the yearly budget of the Business in line with plans and needs and monitor the implementation of the budget General Manager - Commercial Strategic Planning Human Capital Development Operations Support Store Opening/ Closing Budget Management Business Development
Operational: Business Development
- Provide feedback on Country opportunities (real estate, gaps in market, competition positioning and change of regulations)
- Ensure Group representation in country retail forums and ensure solid operational relationship with authorities and mall developers / managers
- Ensure all investments in the country match expectations agreed with shareholders in terms of return
- Ensure that IRR by store conforms to the Group's guidelines
- Build, propose and deliver the 3-year plan of own perimeter (optimization of support operations)
- Consolidate 3-year plan of commercial divisions into a commercial BU/Legal Entity (own perimeter + commercial perimeter) for validation by the COO; provide quarterly review on implementation scorecard
- Provide feedback on store network development plan towards the Country (e.g. store openings, level of investments)
- Ensure that negotiations with malls for new stores are favorable (lead time, penalties and commercial terms)
- Review bi-annual list of bad performing stores to ensure remedial plan is implemented and in case of failure request closure of stores
- Provide data for assumptions used for commercial budget (e.g. salaries, rent, competition, macro-economic country trendsâ€¦)
- Build, propose and deliver the budget of own perimeter
- Endorse budget of commercial divisions to ensure that overall BU/Legal Entity budget matches expectations of shareholders in terms of overall top line, profitability and ROCE, with a particular focus on store CAPEX budget (e.g. new store IRR, CAPEX for renovation and closureâ€¦)
- Consolidate budget of commercial divisions into a budget of BU/Legal Entity (own perimeter + commercial perimeter) for validation by the COO; and provide monthly review on implementation scorecard
- Ensure that organizational structure (BU/Legal Entity) supports development of strategic directions and operations
- Ensure that profitability in the country (operating profit) matches expectations agreed with shareholders
- Ensure that ROCE for the Country matches expectations agreed with shareholders
- Monitor monthly scorecard for commercial division in the Country and participate in the monthly Country review with the COO and the GM team to adopt necessary action plan
- Provide monthly feedback on implementation status of BU/Legal Entity budget during management meetings (review of Tableau de Bord and/or Country scorecards)
Store Opening Projects
- Ensure that the tendering process and selection of contractors, service and material providers are as per the Group's guidelines and that best contractors are selected in terms of cost, quality and delivery time
- Ensure the project management of store opening/renovation/closure is on time and on budget, and as per the specifications of brand owner/representative
- Build, propose and execute cost budget for the store opening/renovation/closure
- Mobilize internal team and external support to perform as per pre-defined milestones
- Escalate all matters which may jeopardize delivery of projects to the COO
- Ensure that handovers to commercial teams happen within deadlines and with minimum snags
Financial and Commercial Operations
- Ensure all OPEX and CAPEX commitments remain within monthly budget allotments
- Endorse all over-budgeted expenses (commitment and payments) proposed by the RGM based on cash-flow availability and endorse all payments different from commitments
- Escalate over-budgeted expenses to the COO as per the Group's authority rights
- Manage availability of cash flow and request funds, if needed, to finance validated investments and operations
- Raise flags in case of risk on cash-flows and propose remedies
- Monitor that payments are done on due time
- Ensure that monthly and annual financial statements prepared by own financial team reflect the financial position of the BU/Legal Entity
- Ensure optimization of external and internal services in terms of SLAs, costs and payment terms
- Ensure regular review meetings with all internal service providers and propose action plans when required
- Ensure compliance to the Group's guidelines in all internal services
- Gather the necessary skills to provide optimal support to operations (e.g. monitoring and auditing of store operations and perfect execution of purchase orders)
- Ensure that country-wide projects are executed (new tools, processes, initiatives) within the retail area
Human Capital Development
- Ensure optimal level of adherence to Group Values of the whole retail team
- Manage and develop own team
- Perform KPI assessments in terms of Group Values for Area Managers and commercial back office staff
- Ensure that levels of employee satisfaction is in line with Group expectations
- Ensure that reputation of the company as an employer of choice is preserved
- Ensure that employees are recognized, developed and rewarded to maintain internal equity
- Ensure that training for the whole retail team is planned, executed and monitored
- Ensure, in coordination with the MD, that the Group's HR objectives in the country are met (e.g. Gulfanization, feminization)
- Animate local commercial staff (e.g. seminars, events, staff gathering) in full coordination with the CGR team
- Responsible for all retail personnel administrative follow-up
- Ensure that adequate information is shared as and when requested by COO, Competence Centers and the MD
- Organize quarterly business reviews with the COO
- Organize weekly team reviews: Store Ops Specialist, Project Manager, Finance Manager, HRBP
- Organize bi-annual reviews with the head of the internal support service company
- Assign individual objectives for employee performance management purposes, manage performance, empower staff, and provide formal and informal feedback in order to support professional development and maximize performance.
What you need to succeed in this role:
We see success in the role as having a solid background in Retail, coming with a strong network within the Luxury Beauty world, deep and relevant understanding of the Beauty space with good connections already in place with the leading beauty houses and suppliers.
More specifically, we would love to hear from you if you can say yes to the below
- Previous experience of working in international, global luxury department stores managing the operation for more than a hundred store.
- Are able to work in a multi-cultural, dynamic fast-paced environment with a very collaborative culture.
- Previous examples of spotting new talent or trends and introduced these to your company.
- Strong PR skills and networking abilities
- Have high emotional intelligence and high cultural intelligence
- Great management experience and ability to lead a large team.
What we can offer you:
We will help shape your journey with us through enriching experiences, learning and development opportunities and exposure to different assignments within your role or through internal mobility.
Our Group offers the opportunity to support careers that may span different teams, different job roles, different categories and even different countries. We offer diverse career paths for those who show drive and passion as well as the desire to learn and grow.
We recognise the value that you bring, and we strive to provide a competitive benefits package which includes health care, life insurance, child education contribution & exclusive employee discounts.
About the Company
The Chalhoub Group is the leading partner for luxury across the Middle East since 1955. As an expert in retail, distribution and marketing services based in Dubai, the group has become a major player in the fashion, beauty and gift sectors regionally.
By blending its Middle East expertise and intimate knowledge of luxury, Chalhoub Group is building brands in the region, by offering service excellence to all its partners and a unique experience to its customers through its passionate teams.
With a growing workforce of more than 9,000 people, implemented in 14 countries, as well as the operating of over 470 retail outlets, the group's success is attributed to its most valued asset of highly skilled and dedicated teams. Professionalism and passion are what fuel the Chalhoub Group's competitive edge in today's market.
By being committed to implementing sustainable practices into their business, the Chalhoub Group has been awarded in 2013 the CSR Label from the Dubai Chamber of Commerce.