Job description / Role
IBM is a globally integrated enterprise operating in over 170 countries. Today, IBM Middle East brings innovative solutions to a diverse client base to help solve some of their toughest business challenges. In addition to being the world's largest IT and consulting services company, IBM is a global business and technology leader, innovating in research and development to shape the future of society at large. IBM's prized research, development and technical talent around the world partner with governments, corporations, thinkers and doers on ground breaking real world problems to help make the world work better and build a smarter planet.
The position will be responsible for public policy and regulatory issues that impact the company in the Middle East with a focus on Saudi Arabia and UAE. S/He will oversee the development of proactive public policy strategies to favorably impact the company's operating environment in both countries and their relationships with the US. Though this is not a sales position, s/he will also build effective relationships that can support the company in achieving new business with government customers and identify potential business/investment opportunities and/or partnership opportunities through their networks.
High-level relationships in the Middle East are critical given the strong emphasis placed on an overall strategic approach to public policy and government affairs. While the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and UAE governments are the key foci, it's is also important that the candidate be able to develop and grow relationships with other companies and trade associations in the region.
The Executive for Government and Regulatory Affairs will work with the Country General Manager and colleagues in the global Government and Regulatory Affairs organization to develop and implement the company's strategies as they relate to issues including, but not limited to: tax and corporate governance; market access and trade; workforce flexibility; technology policy and intellectual property; healthcare and environmental affairs; and public sector spending plans in areas such as healthcare IT, efficient energy infrastructure, intelligent transport systems, and other procurement areas. In addition, S/he will be responsible for driving policy alignment with company's key objectives and partnership strategy.
The position will report to the Director, Government and Regulatory Affairs, Middle East and Africa and will have strong functional guidance from the Country General Manager. S/He will be a member of the company's country leadership team and will be expected to consult with and advise members of senior management on all governmental programs matters to ensure alignment of company goals and objectives. Significant business and stakeholder relationship experience is critical, as well as the ability to build effective external and internal relationship networks.
An understanding of the IT industry would be an important plus; however, deep functional experience in global public policy, with proven relationships and coalition building skills, is considered essential. Strong analytical skills and in-depth understanding of decision-making mechanisms of Middle East governments and public policy settings are also of great importance of the success for this role.
Additionally, the Executive, Government and Regulatory Affairs will:
- Act as a key external messenger who can effectively translate and communicate the direction of the company and its strategy to external stakeholders in government and the corporate community.
- Oversee the creation and execution of government relations strategies and programs to ensure access to policy makers and influential persons, such that resulting government actions are aligned with company goals.
- Provide thought leadership in key public policy areas.
- Develop appropriate policy issues to help set the agenda and shape future events.
- Devise and implement an aggressive and pro-active strategic plan for successfully achieving specific results that are locally relevant in the Middle East, while remaining globally consistent with the company's business strategy.
- Contribute to company's overall global government affairs strategy; provide context on how the countries in the Middle East fit into the global landscape.
- Collaborate with corporate functions and business units to analyze and manage political risk in the Middle East; this covers new projects and scenarios, as well as existing and ongoing programs.
- Effectively position the company as world-class, with high integrity, competitive and sustained performance, and as a valued partner.
- Establish and maintain high-level contacts with a wide variety of industry and nonindustrial individuals and groups who are in a position to compel/promote public, community, and government actions favorable to the company; work closely with senior management to assist in the development of those policy positions and relationships that increase the profile of the company in support of the company's business objectives, customer initiatives, and reputation.
- Maintain strong communications between the various line units, functions and the Country General Manager.
- Serve as a trusted advisor and spokesperson for the company in the Middle East.
The ideal candidate will also be/have:
- The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest levels of government and business.
- A demonstrated ability to "move the needle" with regard to political and policy matters.
- The ability to work across the full range of company's business operations that can be affected by government policies and regulations; a keen interest in learning the business and building effective internal networks to become effective.
- The ability to both develop and execute a strategic plan.
- A persuasive communicator, yet with the ability to understand and accommodate diverse viewpoints and to deal with ambiguity.
- An ability to anticipate changes in public policy and government regulation that could affect the company, and to develop proactive solutions to address those changes.
- Executive presence and the ability to inspire confidence in senior managers within the company, and confidence around the company with external constituencies.
- The ability to represent company with integrity and stature.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Maturity and sound business judgment.
- A commercial outlook.
- Flexibility, drive and an energetic and dynamic approach to problem solving
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- The ideal candidate should have a minimum of 5 years of experience in a leadership role that involves government or government affairs.
- Experience working for a large corporation is preferred, and senior level experience within government is a plus.
- Global acumen and experience is a must.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent is required, and an advanced degree in public policy will be considered favorably.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: Master's Degree Commissionable: No
Key Job Details
- Country: SA
- State: AR RIYAD
- City: RIYADH
- Category: Legal
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree
- Position Type: Professional
- Employment Type: Full-Time
- Contract Type: Regular
- Location: RIYADH, AR RIYAD SA
About the Company
For more than six decades, IBM Middle East & Pakistan has played a vital role in shaping the information technology landscape of the region. Today, IBM is part of the region's technological fabric, solving real-world business and societal challenges, through its offices in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait and Pakistan, and also a diversity of centers across the region.
Within the region, IBM currently has groundbreaking initiatives in cloud computing, analytics, mobile, security, as well as nanotechnology, eGovernment, healthcare and many more, collaborating with leading educational institutes and governments. IBM supports hundreds of clients to drive transformation through technology, contributes to regional research & development programs and has an active Corporate Service Corps (CSC) program.
Reinvention is a keyword in the company's history and, today, IBM is much more than a "hardware, software, services" company. IBM is now emerging as a cognitive solutions and cloud platform company.