Job description / Role
To manage the Mechanical Engineering Department within a multi-discipline design office engaged in the design of HVAC for major building projects, including residential, commercial, corporate, recreational, educational, healthcare and mixed-use developments, from initial concept and preliminary design to final design and tender documentation level.
Responsible to senior management, responsibilities will include:
• General management of the Mechanical Department in relation to resources, staff assignments, technical standards, etc.
• Directing the activities of mechanical design teams within the department to ensure the proper interpretation of project briefs and client requirements, development of designs and preparation of construction documentation.
• Ensuring that mechanical design work is properly coordinated with the requirements of other design disciplines.
• Ensuring the completeness and quality of the output of mechanical design teams.
• Ensuring that work is prepared and completed in accordance with established project design schedules and budgets.
• Providing input to technical and financial proposals for prospective projects.
• Suitable candidates will hold a Bachelor of Science B.Sc or higher degree in mechanical engineering and have a minimum of 15 years’ experience (10 years minimum within a design and consultancy firms) in the design of heating, ventilation and air conditioning system for large scale building projects including, at least 5 years of which should have been gained in the Middle East. Experience and capabilities in specialist areas such as HVAC infrastructure (district cooling) design would be an asset.
• In-depth knowledge of HVAC systems and services for a variety of building types, including high-rise corporate and residential, hospitality, low-rise commercial and retail, leisure and recreational, educational and healthcare facilities is essential, together with a clear understanding of the relationship and coordination requirements between mechanical services and architectural and other engineering design disciplines on complex projects.
• Candidates will be have extensive experience in the use of proprietary software such as Carrier E-20/HAP, Elite, Trace 700 etc. for design of mechanical building services, will be fully conversant with international standards and codes of practice for mechanical engineering, including ASHRAE, SMACNA, ASTM, ANSI, NFPA and will be familiar with quality assurance/quality control procedures applicable to design activities
About the Company
SSA Ltd. (Sommerman Skinner Associates) find out the detail to allow you to make qualified judgments about your career and its progression. On the companies that we represent (over 2000 spread across a diverse spectrum of industry) we will be able to inform you of contracts pending, awarded, company growth, opportunity, relative reward and internal prospects. We believe that through spending time and effort front end through interviewing or individual dedication we can offer real advice that will be valued. Our founder is degree qualified with extensive exposure to industry and with a career also behind him in Recruitment Management. Our team is made up of qualified construction professionals. We specialise in both permanent and freelance opportunities to qualified construction professionals.
Disciplines covered include:
Site Engineers, Site Agents, Project Managers, Contracts Managers, Quantity Surveyors, Commercial Managers, Planners, Safety, Purchasers, Estimators and Design Executive.