Job description / Role
Our indirect Tax professionals help clients to manage their indirect tax compliance obligations, to identify opportunities and mitigate indirect tax risks. They use their deep sector experience and knowledge of different legal, regulatory and technology systems around the world to help clients meet their compliance obligations as well as achieve their business goals.
Our indirect tax professionals provide pragmatic commercial help so clients improve their day-to-day reporting for indirect tax. This includes improving working capital, reducing errors, reducing costs and ensuring indirect taxes are handled correctly. They advise how indirect taxes such as value added tax (VAT) or goods & services tax (GST) impinge on the client's supply chain and financial and accounting systems.
EY's GCC Indirect Tax business is a rapidly growing team of technology, data science, business transformation and tax professionals that help organisations to redefine their tax operations and functions, driving transformation for the digital age.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and ambitious individual to join EY's specialist Indirect Tax team. The team help support and deliver Indirect Tax advice for their clients across the country. We will provide you with an opportunity to be involved in a fast growth part of the Indirect Tax team, working across the country. You will have an opportunity to work with both clients and all of the EY local offices, providing a great opportunity to build and expand your corporate network.
We are expanding our team of tax technologists and data analysts within the MENA indirect tax business to reflect the growing demand for tax technology related change and transformation projects across our tax services engagement portfolio. The role will support the delivery of Tax engagements to some of the largest global and regional institutions across multiple sectors. In your role you will work with clients throughout the delivery and support lifecycle of technology solutions and may be asked to help with technical questions during the sales cycle
Your key responsibilities
Your people responsibilities
- You must be an enthusiastic manager with the ability to create, sustain and lead effective teams & ensure delivery of quality work and take day-to-day leadership of delivery team.
- You are also expected to help people to develop through effectively supervising, coaching and mentoring staff & have a significant involvement in the management of the team both in terms of strategy and operations as well as through managing junior staff development and assignments.
Your client responsibilities
- You should build and maintain tax relationships with clients and provide exceptional levels of client service.
- You must possess business development skills - able to identify and convert opportunities to sell work by proactively managing existing clients Overall responsibility of quality of client service.
- You will be managing possible leads from other areas of the practice & building networks and relationships internally and externally for the team to leverage from.
- You will also contribute to successfully extracting maximum value for both EY and clients from the tax services delivered whilst managing risk appropriately for both client and the firm.
- Subject matter expertise including solution/vendor evaluations, design, implementation and configuration of technology and data orientated solutions
- Evaluates tax function business models, processes and operations to develop a good understanding of business needs and requirements
- Analyse and evaluate tax business requirements and translates into tax and IT technical requirements and specifications, providing insights on system and technical components to incorporate into the technical design
- Produces technical specifications to guide system architectural design and development and conducts quality assurance tasks to ensure completeness of requirements, reviewing the work of more junior members of the team
- Interacts with business stakeholders in both the tax practice and the IT function to gather, understand, document and analyse business requirements
- Analyses reports and assessments to provide insights on whether a solution/technology being implemented is meeting overall business but specifically Tax and IT requirements
- Embedding and sustaining tax data quality standards in financial systems to enhance tax processes, operations and effectiveness, enhancing tax governance and control through content management solutions, workflow technologies and document management.
- Contribute to business case development and support RFP responses, exploring and experimenting with new and existing data to tackle defined business problems.
Skills and attributes for success
- You must be client driven, strategically and commercially aware as well as an excellent communicator in a range of situations both written and oral.
- You must also be enthusiastic with a flexible attitude to work.
- You should also possess project management skills, plan and prioritise work, meet deadlines, monitor own budget.
- You are also expected to have good negotiation skills, ability to sustain opinion and handle challenge, ability to remain calm when under pressure to meet deadlines as well as effective time management skills.
- Proven experience gathering and interpreting tax function requirements
- Proven experience developing technical requirements and specifications, including knowledge of software engineering methodologies, reporting tools, modelling and testing
- Experienced in the development and/or implementation of tax technology solutions
- Ability to manage the successful delivery of technically complex and demanding consulting projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical /business driven approach taken
- Project and programme management skills project planning, project documentation drafting and maintenance of these; resource and team co-ordination; identification, management and escalation of risks, issues, assumptions and dependencies; budget management; stakeholder status reporting; benefits tracking; project close-down and handover to Business as Usual
- Build valuable relationships both within EY and with client stakeholders, proactively contributing to winning new work/clients
- Ability to work well with, coordinate and manage 'business' and 'IT' stakeholders of varying levels of seniority effectively
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, results orientated with ability to ask insightful questions
- Strong commitment to delivering the highest quality output
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives with agility to respond to changing business priority
- In depth knowledge of the functional and technical tax impacts on ERP software (e.g. SAP, Oracle), Robotic Process Automation solutions, popular Cloud-computing platforms (Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud)
To qualify for the role you must have
- Have substantial previous experience working in a technology or business transformation role
- Have experience working in a client- or external-facing role
- Have experience managing people
- Have experience using a range of software
Ideally, you'll also have
- Business development skills, able to identify and convert opportunities to sell work
- Ability to build strong client relationships.
- Experience of ERP software (e.g. SAP, Oracle etc)
- Data manipulation, analytics and visualisation skills as well as experience using BI reporting tools (such as Alteryx, Power BI, Tableau, and Qlikview)
- Broad understanding of tax compliance reporting requirements in Corporation Tax, Payroll Taxes, Income Tax and VAT
- Experience working in a 'Big 4' firm or similar
What we look for
We're interested in versatile people with the ability to take on new responsibilities and listen to clients to get things done. We're not just looking for technical knowledge experience - we're after genuinely interesting people with the ability to build relationships, negotiate and think in unique and creative news ways. If you're a confident leader with a curious mind and the ability to solve complex issues, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
At EY, you get to work with inspiring and meaningful projects. Our focus is education and coaching alongside practical experience to ensure your personal development. We value our employees and you will be able to control your own development with an individual progression plan. You will quickly grow into a responsible role with challenging and stimulating assignments. Moreover, you will be part of an interdisciplinary environment that emphasizes high quality and knowledge exchange. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, strategy, transaction and consulting services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we'll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.
About the Company
EY is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services. The insights and quality services we deliver help build trust and confidence in the capital markets and in economies the world over. We develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders. In so doing, we play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities.
EY refers to the global organization, and may refer to one or more, of the member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide services to clients. Information about how EY collects and uses personal data and a description of the rights individuals have under data protection legislation are available on our site.
The MENA practice of EY has been operating in the region since 1923. For over 95 years, we have grown to over 7,500 people united across 21 offices and 16 countries, sharing the same values and an unwavering commitment to quality. As an organization, we continue to develop outstanding leaders who deliver exceptional services to our clients and who contribute to our communities. We are proud of our accomplishments over the years, reaffirming our position as the largest and most established professional services organization in the region