Job description / Role
We currently have an opportunity for a Lead Civil/Geotechnical Engineer to join our expanding team in the Middle East and work on a range of challenging projects and specifically in our expanding Ground Engineering team based in Riyadh.
The successful candidate will be a Lead Civil/Geotechnical Engineer with a proven track record in civil engineering consulting, geotechnical design and the design of infrastructure and building structures including foundations, earth-retaining structures, roads and water and drainage-sewerage systems. Candidates should be practical and demonstrate good commercial skills that will help develop and expand our ground engineering business in the region.
• A good academic background with a civil engineering bachelors or masters degree
• Ability to undertake technical and feasibility studies including site investigations
• Experience in working within multi-disciplinary groups, engineers and sub-contractors and the ability to resolve design and development problems
• Good knowledge of relevant international codes and standards
• The ability to compile job specifications, supervise design development and ensure compliance with project requirements and procedures
• Ability to review and interpret geotechnical data and to derive geotechnical design parameters
• Experience undertaking geotechnical and civil engineering design and the design of building structures and foundations, retaining walls, shoring and other related infrastructure
• The ability to participate in civil-structural engineering design and detailing
• Ability to assess flood and hydrological studies, topographical data, maps and aerial photos
• A proven track record in delivering projects on time and to specified budgets
• Experience in building relationships with both clients and staff and an ability to influence and coach others
• Experience of working in a fast moving engineering consultancy environment (ideally including international experience)
• A high level of technical capability and attention to detail
• A minimum of 5+ years of experience in the civil / geotechnical fields in a consulting environment
• Approaching or have achieved chartered status (or equivalent) within a relevant professional association
• A high level of numeracy and attention to detail with the ability to self check and produce accurate work
• Appropriate experience in the use of computer software for developing detailed geotechnical and civil engineering design
• Effectively manage own time which may be necessary if allocated to more than one project
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (clear, concise report writing will be expected)
• Excellent team player
• Sound communicator
• Excellent technical judgement
• Willingness to participate in all aspects of Civil and Structural Engineering workload delivery
• Understand the importance of technical accuracy with a high attention to detail
About the Company
Atkins is one of the leading providers of professional, technology based consultancy and support services to the industry, commerce and governments in all of the worlds major economies. With over 17,000 staff operating in Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and the Americas, Atkins has a broad range of skills and resources and provides Clients with a comprehensive service throughout the entire life cycle of the projects in the built environment.
We aim to be the international first choice supplier of technical and integrated services. Shaped by our customers’ needs, our vision is to: focus on quality seek world class design and excellence strive to add value be flexible to the evolving needs of a changing society
Atkins first carried out design and supervision commissions in the Gulf area in 1967. From its regional head office in Dubai, U.A.E. Atkins Middle East now employs over 2000 staff located in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Oman (Muscat ), Qatar (Doha) Bahrain (Manama), Kuwait (Kuwait City) and India (Bangalore).