Job description / Role
The company leads in the industrial services industry; specifically in transportation and logistics industry. It provides airport services in Saudi Arabia. They are currently looking for a Legal Director to be based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
• Ensure alignment of the Legal department strategy and plans in shaping and implementing Corporate Affairs strategy
• Lead the development and implementation of the Legal department plan, policies, procedures, and processes.
• Monitor performance of the Legal Department against KPIs and objectives on a regular basis. Recommend improvements and efficiencies in line with corporate priorities
• Develop and monitor the annual Legal department budget in alignment with the overall Corporate Affairs budget and with the Finance function.
• Lead all legal activities in coordination with changing business needs and strategic direction.
• Remain up to date regarding latest laws, rules and regulations that might pose a risk on corporate and interpret the impact and implications of legislation
• Produce regular and ad hoc reports and analysis on legal matters, activities and programmes, and communicate them to Executive Management
• Develop and implement a compliance reporting system (in coordination with Internal Audit) that identifies areas of legal non-compliance and reports them to Board and Executive Management.
• Provide guidance and direction to corporate executive leadership to assure proper understanding, interpretation and application of contractual obligations and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
• Coordinate with Internal Audit to provide advice and support to functions, and ensure all activities are conducted properly, in compliance with laws and regulations, and to reduce the threats and risks.
• Raise staff awareness about laws and regulations that influence the day-to-day operation.
• Monitor the development of all legal and contractual documents to ensure that they are effectively drafted, reviewed, interpreted, and examined.
• Participate in the legal aspects of contract negotiations and coordinate with the appropriate functions whenever required.
• Provide advice related to legal systems and regulations in the KSA as well as other jurisdictions whenever required.
• Provide analysis as well as avoidance and mitigation strategies on activities and projects with significant financial, legal, and reputational exposure to corporate.
• Identify, assess, and prioritize legal risks while devising risk management and risk mitigation plans to prevent and/ or react effectively to these risks.
• Oversee and execute all litigation cases between corporate and courts in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
• Handle disputes and cases filed on behalf of or against company, and the representation of company in court.
• As and when applicable, oversee the management of services, deliverables, and relationships with external law firms to ensure cost effective and appropriate advice is provided to company during litigations or any other general law issues.
• Represent company and liaise with all relevant government and legal entities as and when required
• Reduce or eliminate the likelihood of the imposition of sanctions, fines, and other penalties against company by relevant government agencies and others.
• Attend major legal events at the local, national, regional and international levels in order to learn about new laws, regulations, trends and practices in the legal field and capitalise on the best way to apply them in line with the institution and function’s priorities.
• Monitor and facilitate the actions taken by the Board of Directors, including planning board meetings, and recording meeting minutes
• Ensure accurate and necessary documentation is always available and meets legal requirements whenever requested by the Board of Directors.
• People Management
• Provide professional development support/coaching and perform periodic performance reviews for direct subordinates based on corporate’s Performance Management System
• Develop and implement workforce plans and succession plans for key positions in the Legal Department
• Recommend training needs for subordinates and evaluate the outcomes of training courses
Qualification & Requirements:
• Bachelor's degree in Law or Relevant field is required.
• Qualification for practice of legal profession in KSA is required.
• MBA or master’s degree in relevant field is a plus.
• Must be a Licensed Lawyer by KSA Ministry of Justice.
• Membership of Saudi Bar Association is preferred.
• Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience with at least 8 years of experience in a managerial role.
• Experience in the Aviation sector
About the Company
Propel Consult delivers a service in step with the needs of both our client companies and candidates. Our ability to add value to all levels of recruitment stems from our wholehearted belief in providing a professional service to both parties. We have built relationships with many leading indigenous and mulitnational organisations throughout the Middle East and internationally in countries such as UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait, Egypt and many more. Concentrating our resources has created 5 distinct specialist divisions:
- Banking & Finance
- Human Resources
- Oil & Gas
- Architecture & Engineering