Job description / Role
What we are looking for?
SSH are looking for a talented Principal Architect to join our offices located in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, where we provide front-end design leadership for the wider group.
Our portfolio of live projects includes cultural, healthcare, hospitality and retail projects across the Middle East and North Africa.
We are looking for individuals with exceptional design skills and a passion for working towards excellence in design delivery. You will work as part of the wider engineering teams based in Kuwait, Dubai and Cape Town.
SSH is a master planning, infrastructure, building design, construction supervision and project management company. We are proud to present a reputation for design integrity and a portfolio of landmark projects throughout the Middle East region.
What will my responsibilities look like in this role?
The individual will work as part of an architectural design team, leading leading and mentoring a design group and is responsible for large scale projects from bidding to delivery.Reporting directly to the Discipline Lead, this team member contributes to the development of the company by supporting the Directors in the progressive evolution of SSH's design philosophy, research activities and technical development.
• Support Discipline Lead with operational responsibilities.
• Contribute to preparation of bids.
• Lead the design team throughout the design stages.
• Responsible for key design input at early design phases and for general design leadership during the course of the project.
• Contribute from the onset of a project, to the design of innovative and progressive design solutions that reconcile SSH and client's goals and priorities while fostering opportunities for design excellence.
• Make appropriate value judgements with respect to corrective work that supports the design concept and performance goals of the project.
• To perform and direct material and building systems research and participate in the coordination and preparation of project specifications.
• Set an example of leadership among team leaders.
• Participate in marketing and business development.
• Act as the client's point of contact for design related issues.
• Act as the project's design coordinator and contributes (fully or partially) to the overall design management activities.
• Conduct performance evaluation reviews to subordinate (junior) team members.
• Take initiatives to develop design manuals, standard design documents, presentations, etc. to increase efficiencies, knowledge and awareness across the wider engineering community.
What do I need to apply?
• Developed Architectural Design skills an in depth understanding of the design process and interfaces between design disciplines.
• 7+ yrs. of experience working in engineering consultancy as a Principal Architect
• It is essential that the correct individual must be able to demonstrate extensive experience of, delivering building projects in the Middle East from concept through to detailed design as part of a multidisciplinary design team.
• Understanding of scope definition and scope interface.
• Proficiency in AutoCAD and REVIT, word processing and presentation programs.
• Full knowledge of Statutory Authorities requirements knowledge of codes, regulations and submission requirements.
• Developed knowledge of Health and Safety in Design
• Developed knowledge of Fire & Life Safety Principles.
• Developed knowledge of Sustainable Design principles.
• Ability and willingness to mentor and provide support to junior subordinate staff members and spread knowledge across the wider architectural community.
• Excellent command of English (written and spoken).
• Proficiency in verbal and written Arabic is an advantage but not essential
• B.Sc or MSc in Architectural Engineering
• Registered membership of an internationally recognised engineering body is an advantage
• International Accreditation (RIBA, AIA or equivalent).
• B.Sc or MSc in Architectural Engineering
About the Company
Having been in business for 50 years, we have accumulated unparalled knowledge, skill, and creativity. We use our expertise to develop a truly tailored innovative and creative solution that is in line with our clients' specific requirements. We don't sell a "house style" - that's not our style.
The firm has its headquarters in Kuwait and has completed a wide range of projects locally and throughout the Middle East. A recent survey conducted by the World Architecture Magazine shows that SSH is currently ranked as number fifty two in the world.
We treat our employees as valued members of the team. We believe in the power of every single person who works here and the individual expertise they bring to a project. We reinforce the worth of every individual by giving them the room to excel.
SSH is registered in Kuwait with the Ministry of Planning, Ministry of Public Works, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Ministry of Defense, the Kuwait Municipality and many private enterprises.
The Firm is registered with international and bi-lateral agencies such as the United Nations Development Programme, the International Road Federation, the Arab Fund for Social and Economic Development, the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development, the Committee for Reconstruction and Development in Lebanon.
Get personalised updates on latest vacancies
Principal Project Engineer/Architect - Western Expat
Architecture Team Leader
KEO International Consultants