Job description / Role
Provide technical support to Engineering Department in the review of building codes for development and execution of various projects related to communities and infrastructure projects.
To provide necessary technical expertise including evaluations of specific code topics as applied to a project, or special studies of particular building components, characteristics or applications. From high-rise commercial buildings and retail facilities to residential developments, schools, hospitals and civic institutions, also offers Technical Consulting. Whenever questions arise related to the technical aspects of the ICC International Codes, NFPA, or other related code.
Building Code Reviewer will report to the Principal Supervising Architect. He will interact with and support efforts with other disciplines in the Engineering Department.
Major Activities Performed
1. Familiarizes with all Saudi Building codes and Royal Commission standards, General Design Criteria and Technical Guidelines, standard drawings and standard guide specifications
2. Review of initial design code compliance including use and occupancy classification, type of construction, height and area calculations, means of egress, fire-resistance construction requirements and Fire & Life Safety.
3. Review of A/E contractor specifications, technical reports, and work with other disciplines and departments to review plans to ensure they meet the local, national and international codes as applicable.
4. Review construction drawings for code violations and report those to the supervisor.
5. Works with other Engineers and design personnel in technical excellence and growth in the Quality Improvement Process.
6. Provides technical consultations for interdisciplinary analytical studies and analyses.
7. Provide response and technical solutions to RFI’s raised by Contractors, Operation and Maintenance and other departments in the Royal Commission.
8. Must work well within a dynamic team and serve as a technical consultant to the client.
Experience and Qualifications
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with major course work in engineering, construction management, architecture, or a related field of study.
2. Minimum 10 years of experience in writing code analysis reports and studies, developing and reviewing code analysis for buildings and infrastructure projects. Must have a general broad based knowledge of both buildings and infrastructure type projects.
3. Familiarity with mechanical, electrical, architectural, NFPA, IBC, or other construction codes and design requirements a plus.
4. Must be able to take a set of building construction plans and specifications, and review for code violations prior to construction to assist the engineering department in plan review.
5.Coordinate with all relevant stakeholders and government authorities plus developers, consultants and contractors working within the area under study or adjacent areas.
6. Professional Engineer (PE) registration or Registered Architect (RA) is preferred.
7. Provides information to contractors, engineers, architects, property owners, business owners and the general public regarding code requirements and the permit process.
8. Must demonstrate continual progression of experience and expertise in relevant discipline.
9. Ability to demonstrate precise, comprehensive and technically accurate written communication skills. Strong skills in technical writing.
10. Ability to communicate effectively in both spoken and written English.
11. Knowledge of computers and basic software applications such as: MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
12. Prior experience in arbitration of code related issues and interpretations desirable.
About the Company
Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, planning, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security.
Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide.