Job description / Role
• Provide Civil Engineering discipline support to Construction and Project management group on the design and construction of various public and private infrastructure projects.
• Particular emphasis is on the design of streets and roads, site design, grading, drainage, potable water, sanitary sewers, reclaimed water, irrigation utilities.
• Experience in civil engineering design and resolving conflicts with utilities and grading and drainage design issues.
• Performs the Civil Engineering review of Improvement plans, contract specifications, construction estimates and engineering studies.
• Expected to know good Civil engineering design practices and procedures.
• Will be involved in conceptual Civil engineering design, master planning of utilities, street and highway design, pump station and culvert design, writing memorandums to management, and coordination of existing and new infrastructure.
• Member of the Engineering Department staff. Reports to the TSS Civil Section Supervisor.
• Interfaces with project management staff, and other Engineering departments.
Major Activities Performed
• Technical Review of Improvement Plans, technical specifications, construction estimates, design calculations for compliance with approved design criteria and good civil engineering practice.
• Provides support for Construction in answering and resolving technical design issues, clarification and interpretation of the design drawings, coordination with other sections.
• Provide technical advice and guidance to Management on all aspects of Civil Engineering and needed improvements or design changes.
• Prepare written memorandums, technical reports and correspondence on Civil Engineering issues. Prepare and give engineering presentations on ‘Civil Engineering issues.
• Prepare conceptual utility and site designs, layouts and coordinate with other engineering sections, prepares alternative solutions to issues and problems.
• Prepare and review of cost estimates and material quantities.
• Review Contractor's design submittals, specifications, and calculations submittals.
• Perform field inspections and provides field support during construction.
• Review vendor/shop drawings and construction material submittals.
• Assist in the preparation of Utility (Sewer, Water, Storm drain) master planning in the creating of capital improvement projects and verifying capacity of the existing utility systems and establishing new.
• Has knowledge and experience of good civil design practices, common international design standards and codes in the design of sewer, water, drainage utilities, roads, earthwork, grading, drainage, site design, Has knowledge and experience in the design of residential subdivisions, commercial and industrial site design, ASHTO street and highway design, and fundamental surveying practices.
• Provide technical assistance during pre-bid conferences, consultant and contractor selection, design proposals and construction bid evaluations, and coordination during construction bidding.
Experience and Qualifications
• An undergrad degree in Civil Engineering from a western university with minimum of 15 years post-graduate professional experience.
• Professional/Chartered Engineer license is required.
• The ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English is essential.
Specific technical requirements are
• Experience in site development, design of roads and utilities for large residential, industrial and commercial areas.
• Experience with potable/fire water, sanitary sewer and wastewater collection and handling systems.
• Must have 7 years’ experience in the design of streets and highways, residential subdivisions, industrial business parks, commercial and retail centers. Design should include the design of sewer, water and drainage utilities.
• Knowledge of AutoCAD, Water and sewer and drainage calculations and modeling systems, mass grading, earth work modeling, ASHTO Highway design manual, State and local design criteria design of roads and utilities.
• KSA experience a plus
• Experience in work with and for local municipality in the design and coordination of infrastructure improvements.
About the Company
Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, planning, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security.
Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide.