Job description / Role
The Principal Engineer is a technical specialist performing complex technical analysis and provides support within a multidiscipline engineering environment, answers A/E reviews, prepares engineering/design contract RFP’s, reviews PC/EPC contract-based design/shop drawings and materials and carries out construction troubleshooting. Interfaces with other sections/disciplines of the department and may perform work in collaboration with A/E or other design professionals.
3. Major Activities Performed: List the major job function(s) of the position.
- Prepare technical specifications, scope of work descriptions, and updates the standard details, design criteria and technical guidelines.
- Prepare Request for Proposal (RFP) documents with design concepts.
- Provide technical assistance during pre-bid conferences, proposal evaluations, and post-award and other conference.
- Review A/E contractor design drawings, specifications and calculations submittals and coordinates with the work of the other disciplines.
- Review specially vendor and shop drawings and specially construction materials and/or equipment submittals.
- Submittal and Reviews advanced power system analysis.
- Perform field inspections and provides professional field support as necessary during construction phases.
- Prepare interface layouts and conflict solutions.
- Prepare technical correspondence, reports and studies.
- Prepare electrical power network planning for expansion areas.
- Function as a technical expert in performing analysis in specialized areas.
- Review and provides guidance in problem areas, recommends solutions, alternatives and improvements.
- Perform investigation of material and system failures.
- A Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering from a Western recognized university with a minimum of 15 years’ postgraduate professional experience and a minimum of 10 years of Power Systems design experience.
- Previous experience of working in the Middle East and knowledge of Saudi electrical regulations will be considered an advantage.
- Registration in Country of Origin in an Engineering Professional Association equivalent to US PE or UK Chartered Engineer status is essential.
- The ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English is essential.
- Must have sound overall experience in planning and designing systems for commercial, institutional, and industrial facilities.
- Capable of reviewing designs carried out by A/Es for high voltage, medium voltage (13.8 to 34.5kv) and low voltage power, indoor lighting, outdoor and road lighting, ground communication, and fire alarm systems.
- Must have used ETAP or similar software to perform electrical studies.
- Experienced in preparation of Bid Documents.
- Good knowledge of working in a BIM Environment would be an advantage.
Experience in designing (from conceptual to detailed) electrical systems for residential, commercial and institutional facilities is desirable in the following areas:
- Medium and low voltage power systems one-line diagram and electrical rooms equipment layout.
- Underground and exposed conduit and cable tray runs.
- Calculations for demand load estimates, for sizing major equipment and circuits and selective protection coordination.
- Lighting systems indoors and outdoors calculations and physical layout.
- Fire protection and communication systems one-line diagrams and physical layout of equipment and device.
- Must have thorough knowledge of National Electrical Code, IEEE, ANSI, IESNA, NFPA
Design experience (from conceptual to detailed) with utility and industrial facilities is desirable:
- Medium voltage power distribution substation one-line diagram and equipment layout of major equipment.
- Medium voltage switchgear.
- Protective relaying schemes for medium voltage bus, transformer, cable and overhead line protection.
- Station Automation System, switchgear control, monitoring and metering.
- Medium voltage power distribution layout with cables in duct banks and direct buried and corresponding ampacity calculations.
- Thorough knowledge of IEEE, ANSI, and IEC Standards.
About the Company
Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, planning, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security.
Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide.