Job description / Role
Atkins is strengthening its presence and service offering in KSA and seeking to recruit a Principal Environmental Consultant, with experience in the coordination and delivery of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) studies, environmental inputs to master planning and of the preparation and implementation of construction related environmental management plans (including site monitoring and auditing), to be based in Riyadh. The successful candidate's work is expected to focus on urban improvement, infrastructure and related projects in KSA and support to the provision of environmental services in other countries in the region. Whilst the post is linked to the Atkins Riyadh office, it should be noted that two of the Kingdom's three "mega/ giga projects" (NEOM and the Red Sea Project) are coastal and inputs may be required for these and other projects on the Red Sea and Gulf (East) Coasts of the Kingdom. Therefore, qualifications and experience in the coastal/marine environment as well as the terrestrial environment would be advantageous. The candidate will also be expected to:
- Support bids and business development;
- To take a leadership role in growing an environmental and sustainability team in the KSA and the region (in collaboration with senior SNC-L staff in Al Khobar); and
- To act as a link to facilitate the inputs of Atkins' environmental personnel from outside the region, especially the U.K., so that a full range of environmental services can be offered.
The role will be varied and will require project management, client and stakeholder liaison, coordination with design and site teams and technical inputs to EIAs and other studies. The candidate will also be expected to carry out associated environmental investigations and reporting, including contributions to design and contract documentation. The role will cover projects from conception through to delivery on site so there is likely to be a requirement to oversee/monitor the work of contractors and undertake environmental inspections and audits at construction sites or to manage others undertaking these tasks. The priorities of this role include:
- Coordination and preparation of environmental assessments and inputs to master plans and feasibility studies in support of the delivery of major infrastructure.
- Meeting client and stakeholder requirements while facilitating project delivery.
- Providing a focal point for the Atkins infrastructure and property delivery teams for environmental mitigation, enhancements and to promote sustainability.
- Environmental audit of construction sites to ensure compliance with environmental management plans.
- Lead teams of specialists in developing high quality project deliverables within proposed schedule and budget constraints.
- Liaison with environmental, planning, urban design and landscape teams in the U.K. and in other Middle East offices (especially the UAE) and assistance with the delivery of assignments in those countries as required.
- Degree qualified in a relevant field
- Master's degree in EIA or Environmental Science
- Along with strong general EIA coordination skills, a specialism in sustainability, air quality, noise, coastal/marine or contamination/geo-environmental science would be considered advantageous.
- Proven experience (10 to 15 years) in the management of the EIA process and understanding of its application to infrastructure projects in the Middle East region and internationally.
- Good working knowledge of EIA legislation in Middle East and preferably KSA.
- A combination of technical and managerial skills in the environmental and engineering aspects of urban planning and development and of strategic advisory services
- Personal commitment to environmental protection and sustainable development.
- Excellent communication, influencing and presentation skills; capable of presenting complex subject matter to a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent organizational abilities
- Willingness and ability to interact with regulatory agencies, stakeholders, clients and develop effective teamwork relationships
- Fluency in written and spoken English - knowledge of Arabic would be helpful.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Flexibility with willingness and ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Willingness to travel within KSA and the GCC region
- Membership of Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) or similar professional institute would be advantageous.
- Construction site experience desirable.
Salary and Benefits:
We offer an excellent package which includes:
- A competitive salary
- Accommodation allowance;
- Transportation allowance;
- 22 calendar days annual leave (based on 5 day working week)/ 26 calendar days annual leave (based on 6 day working week)
- Medical and life insurance cover;
- Company gratuity scheme;
- Discretionary bonus scheme;
- Flight allowance to point of origin
- Employee Well-Being Programme - 24 hour free advice on financial, legal and family care specialists and also access to personal health, fitness and nutrition consultants
SNC Lavalin's Atkins business is one of the largest multidisciplinary, multi sector engineering design consultancies in the world and is part of the SNC Lavalin Group.
Atkins has been established in the Gulf for over 40 years, having first carried out design and supervision commissions in the Gulf area in 1967. The regional head office (Dubai) was established in 1979. In July 2017, Atkins was acquired by SNC Lavalin and so it is now part of larger global group that can support the full range of project delivery, from inception to construction and final operation.
As one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies with a leading track record in the defence sector, Atkins are ideally placed to respond to this market. We have a broad establishment and proud, 50 year history throughout the Middle East region
We provide a full range of design, engineering and project management services for buildings, transportation and other infrastructure programmes.
Atkins in the Middle East now employs around 2,000 staff serving Gulf clients across all market sectors from offices in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Doha, Dubai, Jeddah, Kuwait City, Manama, Muscat, Riyadh, and Sharjah.
About the Company
Atkins is one of the leading providers of professional, technology based consultancy and support services to the industry, commerce and governments in all of the worlds major economies. With over 17,000 staff operating in Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and the Americas, Atkins has a broad range of skills and resources and provides Clients with a comprehensive service throughout the entire life cycle of the projects in the built environment.
We aim to be the international first choice supplier of technical and integrated services. Shaped by our customers' needs, our vision is to:
- focus on quality
- seek world class design and excellence
- strive to add value
- be flexible to the evolving needs of a changing society
Atkins first carried out design and supervision commissions in the Gulf area in 1967. From its regional head office in Dubai, U.A.E. Atkins Middle East now employs over 2000 staff located in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Oman (Muscat ), Qatar (Doha) Bahrain (Manama), Kuwait (Kuwait City) and India (Bangalore).