Job description / Role
Air Products, Saudi Aramco and ACWA Power are in final negotiations to form an over $11 billion Gasification/Power joint venture (JV) located at Jazan Economic City (JEC) in Saudi Arabia.
The JV will purchase, commission and operate the gasification assets, power block and the associated utilities from Saudi Aramco. These assets are currently under construction and will be transferred to the JV upon successful completion, currently scheduled for the end of 2019.
The JV will own and operate the facility under a 25-year contract for a fixed monthly fee. Saudi Aramco will supply feedstock to the JV, and the JV will produce power, hydrogen and other utilities for Saudi Aramco. Air Products will own at least 50 percent of the JV, with Saudi Aramco and ACWA Power owning the balance. The JV builds upon the importance and recognition that critical infrastructure assets in the region are being developed and operated under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model."
The Jazan IGCC is the world’s largest IGCC and ASU facility making 2100 MMSCFD syngas, 18,000 MT/Day Oxygen and 4 Gigawatts of power. Facilities and assets include: liquids gasification, acid gas clean up, soot ash recovery, sulphur recovery, combined cycle power plants, materials handling systems, hydrogen recovery, water utilities systems and waste water treatment facilities.
Opportunities are now available for a Process Commissioning Engineer to support the Jazan IGCC commissioning and start-up phase. The duration of the assignment is approximately 24 months with an additional option to roll into a long-term operations assignment. This is an on-site position in Jazan, Saudi Arabia working 8 weeks on with 2 weeks off.
The incumbent will report to the Process Commissioning Engineer – Team Lead. Each incumbent will be dedicated to one of several operating units: Gasification/Acid Gas Removal/Hydrogen Recovery, Soot Ash Recovery, Sulfur Recovery, Air Separation and Utilities.
This position is intended to target candidates with field/operations experience in large process plants. The Jazan IGCC team supports the safe and efficient leadership, planning, commissioning and start-up of process gas units, including our newly acquired gasification technologies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This opportunity is focused on providing process systems technical leadership in the multi-discipline areas of interfacing between process engineering, controls engineering, process safety, and operations during commissioning, start-up and start-up stabilization period. Process engineering commissioning responsibilities include:
• Provide Process Systems expertise in development of generic risk evaluation/assessments or Safety Integrity Levels assessment and Safety Integrity Levels verification.
• Review and understand, work process, or work instructions. Proactive in recognizing and unblocking any barriers in the key work processes.
• Manage the projects P&ID’s, functional logic tables, alarm and trip settings, critical safety tables and operating procedures/training manuals through commissioning.
• Understand process safety hazards. Understand and review Safety Integrity Level assessments and Layer Of Protection Analysis.
• Help support control room operations during first start-up to guide Operations and ensure safe startup
• Coordinate and facilitate resolution of and make recommendations on all cross-functional technical issues involving plant reliability, operability, safety, and maintenance.
• Support field validation with Process Control engineer.
• Review and update of plant operating manuals and procedures in support of the commissioning teams. Provide
commissioning team with office support during critical commissioning, start up and performance testing.
• Participate and help plan field-commissioning activities including Pre-Startup Safety Review.
• Provide technology related knowledge to operating personnel during startup
• Provide training and guidance to junior or less experienced engineers
• Support the Technology Risk process, identifying new risk items and closing out actions and any mitigations identified.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• BS in ChE/ME
• Have a minimum of 2 years of experience in plant engineering or operating plant engineering with a strong focus on plant operations/startups
• Have an in-depth understanding of process systems engineering design, including the development of Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s) for process plants, interpreting PFD’s and control strategies, and creating operating procedures.
• Have a good operating knowledge to understand the requirements of start-up, shut down, and load changes. Also understand the requirements of process safety systems, including relief devices, and safety instrumented systems.
• Balanced multi-discipline understanding in process engineering, DCS controls, process safety and equipment design
• Ability to make balanced decisions weighing operability, reliability, capital costs and operating costs.
• Critical thinking skills and problem solving capability.
• Effective communicator who will seek out cross-functional technical expertise as required.
• Experience in gasification, Sulfur Recovery Units, Soot and Ash recovery, Power Blocks and experience working in Middle East is beneficial
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.
Saudi Aramco Total Refining & Petrochemical Company (SATORP)
Saudi Aramco Total Refining & Petrochemical Company (SATORP)
Chemical Sales Engineer