Job description / Role
Air Products is looking for a Process Controls Engineer to work in the Engineering Organization located in their office in Dhahran Techno Valley, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The successful candidate will be required to have a good approach to health, safety and environment and can work across multi discipline teams as well as different cultures around the world. We are looking for a candidate with good communication skills in both verbal and written English and all-round flexibility to commit time and effort to achieve project requirements.
The ability to travel when required, both to job sites and other engineering offices in the UK, US, India and China on a planned basis. The successful candidate will be required to work under general supervision and be effective in promoting and supporting all aspects of the work done in the Department using both computer-aided and manual design techniques.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Works under the direction of the Process Controls Lead Engineer at the project level
• Technical resource for the control systems and process automation field specifically related to DCS, PLC, SIS, Machinery Monitoring Systems and Surge Control Systems
• Support P&ID development; help maintain the P&ID’s through the course of each project phase
• Support development of the Instrument Index and I/O List; help maintain the Instrument Index and I/O List through the course of each project phase
• Support incorporation of control systems content into mechanical equipment vendor packages
• Develop and/or support development of I/O Lists, Range/Alarm/Trip/Shutdown schedules, system block diagrams, Cause/Effect Logic Matrix, Function Block Diagrams, Logic Narratives, Control Narratives, Complex Loop Narratives, Hardware/Software/Configuration Specs, Cutover Specs, Graphic Standards, etc.
• Ensure specified items are following client requirements and standards, check specification / requisition packages prepared by others
• Prepare engineering specification and requisition packages for inquiry and purchase
• Prepare technical bid evaluations and make recommendations for purchase
• Interface with suppliers to ensure compliance with specifications
• Review vendor data to assure specifications and project requirements are met.
• Resolves specialty related engineering issues by applying accepted principles, codes, and standards.
• Participates in planning, cost development, management and scheduling activities for assigned projects
• Consults with Lead Designers and Engineers from other disciplines to ensure the smooth flow of vital information necessary for the scheduled completion of the project
• Continues development of his technical knowledge, skills and potential.
Education and Experience
• The Process Controls Engineer shall hold a B.Sc. Engineering Degree and minimum of 5 years’ experience.
• Experience in the following Technologies is recommended
• Cryogenic Air separation and liquefaction
• Cryogenic hydrocarbon and natural gas separation and
• Helium recovery, purification/liquefaction
• Adsorption separation/purification systems
• Steam-methane reforming
• High-temperature catalysis
• Absorption systems
• Partial oxidation/gasification
• CO2 purification/liquefaction
• Current knowledge of engineering work processes; familiarity with the various project phases and the scope/deliverables required for each;
• Familiarity with SIS Functional Safety.
• Knowledge of the application, specification and installation of process automation systems
• Familiar with the development of all systems related deliverables; including I/O Lists, Range/Alarm/Trip/Shutdown schedules, system block diagrams, Cause/Effect Logic Matrix, Function Block Diagrams, Logic Narratives, Control Narratives, Complex Loop Narratives, Hardware/Software/Configuration Specs, Cutover Specs, Graphic Standards, etc.
• Familiar with the programming and configuration of at least one manufacturer’s system
• Thorough understanding of P&ID symbology and presentation techniques
• Familiar with hardware inspection, FAT, SAT, loop checks, start-up and commissioning
• Must have thorough knowledge of engineering practices and economic principles, calculation methods. design details, international codes and standards, procedures, and specifications.
• Have working knowledge in the use of industry wide design software packages.
• Bring experience to suggest new economical ways in designing the work – identify problem areas in the work practices and suggest improvements based on feedback and own previous experience.
• Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Building Customer Loyalty
• Effectively meeting customer needs; building productive customer relationships; taking responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
• Clearly and succinctly conveying information and ideas to individuals and groups in a variety of situations; communicating in a focused and compelling way that drives others’ thoughts and actions.
• Engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
• Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
• Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
Contributing to Team Success
• Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
• Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
Managing Work (Includes Time Management)
• Effectively managing one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
• Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Air Products Values
All Air Products divisions are committed to the effective use of the AP Values. It is important that all employees understand and utilize these values when performing the duties of his/her position.
Quality encompasses all aspects of AP’s business, and every employee shares the responsibility to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformity relating to product, process and the quality system. All employees have an obligation to identify and record any such nonconformity, and through designed channels, initiate and recommend solutions.
About the Company
Air Products touches the lives of consumers around the globe in positive ways every day. With approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 50 countries, we serve customers across a wide range of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. We supply a unique portfolio of atmospheric and process gases, equipment and services.
Founded in 1940, Air Products has built a reputation for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. Our passionate, talented and committed employees from diverse backgrounds are driven by Air Products’ higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.
China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC)
QA QC Engineer
China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC)
Lead Pipeline Engineer